Loan window - midfield

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

What Keogh did you watch. I watched a blundering idiot who fancied going up the pitch 30 yards, take time to look around for a pass then lose the ball allowing Them to counter. Oh and he made the good old backpasses to Carson. He is a bad smell at Derby has been for many years.

Who was he supposed to pass to? The midfield was non-existent and Waghorn wasn’t showing for it.

Dont see Bryson as the problem or Huddlestone as the answer 

Think we need a more mobile defensive midfielder (maybe Evans)

And if we are going to press we need to do it as a team not just Bryson otherwise we may as well just sit in

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Tomori and Bryson and Keogh were the three who kept going in the game where many others simply hid 

I think Bryson was our best midfielder yesterday. Other than the miss at the start of the second half I didn't notice Mount.........surely Evans has been signed to play the defensive midfielder role, let's give him a go.......

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Entirely why we need to give it time. Some people are criticising on here after one loss. What chance does Frank have with fans like that?

Also I wouldn't have described Hughes, Forsyth or Thorne as experienced under Mac 1. I bet all in, our current players have more appearances under their belt now than they did when Mac came in.

No denying the defensive midfielder spot needs consolidating, and I think most agree Malone needs bedding in but that aside, nothing too much needs changing. Just hard work needs applying.

I agree with most of that but my point was that under Mac 1 the players I mentioned had already lots of experience of playing under clough 

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

With the many signings made I was surprised we didn't buy a top quality midfielder in the mould of Tom Cairney or a younger Charlie Adam, someone who not only runs midfield but the game.  When was the last time we had a midfielder who bossed the game? Hughes? Eustace? Hendrick?

I think Frank needs to use the loan window to go and get a couple of decent midfielders with the ability to run for 90 minutes. Easier said than done as I have no idea who is available.  

Midfield is the area we consistently struggled with since the first Mac season, sort that and the rest will fall into place.

This smacks of some one who is not happy after 2 matches. Give these players time to gel and buy in to the new style (not Rowetball). If there was a young Tom Cairney out there, would we get him! I doubt it, he would be kept at the club to play first team football.

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

We have Holmes, Huddlestone and Evans to still get game time yet, we don't need more signings, at least until the current crop settle in. 

Agree and not to mention some of players that have stepped up in to the first team squad i.e Timi Elsnik for one

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

We have Holmes, Huddlestone and Evans to still get game time yet, we don't need more signings, at least until the current crop settle in. 

Holmes won't solve the defensive midfielder issue, he is an attacking/winger type player, more a Lawrence than a Hudders….

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Who was he supposed to pass to? The midfield was non-existent and Waghorn wasn’t showing for it.

I thought Waghorn constantly was showing for it and making runs into the channels but that's how two different people can see a game differenty.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Holmes won't solve the defensive midfielder issue, he is an attacking/winger type player, more a Lawrence than a Hudders….

I'm talking about midfield in general. The issue isn't one particular player, but the midfield three itself, it's balance is way off. Evans holding with Holmes and Mount as the creative runners would serve us well 

Not noticed one person in this thread suggest Butterfield as an answer. If Lampard could recreate the energetic midfielder who can run, pass and shoot, then it would be a tremendous result. The lad has the technical attributes. Buying in yet another player at this juncture would be madness. 

That said, I think we'll see Holmes and Mount as the next pairing and, if Huddlestone remains on the treatment table, Evans as well. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not noticed one person in this thread suggest Butterfield as an answer. If Lampard could recreate the energetic midfielder who can run, pass and shoot, then it would be a tremendous result. The lad has the technical attributes. Buying in yet another player at this juncture would be madness. 

That said, I think we'll see Holmes and Mount as the next pairing and, if Huddlestone remains on the treatment table, Evans as well. 

Can't see him working because if he were to replace Bryson I can't see him having the required defensive ability to get stuck in and obviously he won't be replacing Mount. In my eyes the position that is causing the biggest problem is defensive mid and unless Evans is mobile enough to cover for the very attacking full backs and also good enough in possession, or Thorne makes a miraculous recovery to full fitness we're in a bit of a mess 

18 months out and i think a certain manager would have done a better job in midfield yesterday lol...seriously i think we will be a different team when Tom huddlestone is back ...you dont need speed ,you need know how and guile. A different position i know, but for the season we had paul mcgrath...he liked his pop...his knees were shot...but that guy was in the right position everytime before the opposition had even kicked the ball.

Got to say that watching saturdays game I would be inclined to try timori in the holding role if we are struggling ,he has pace ,can tackle and has composure on the ball

2 minutes ago, archied said:

Got to say that watching saturdays game I would be inclined to try timori in the holding role if we are struggling ,he has pace ,can tackle and has composure on the ball

Square pegs, round holes me thinks!  I thought we were done with all that?

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Milner would do us a job but would never drop down, Kevin McDonald from Fulham would be class, Obiang from West Ham, Hayden from Newcastle or Bakayoko From Chelsea 

Are you on drugs? I'm not going to go through your entire list, but for example, Milner started for Liverpool yesterday and Bakayoko is going to AC Milan on a season-long loan with an option to buy for £35.56m!

Archived