Furious Frank

drgoodspeak

Think we need to get a few more games under our belts to fully judge progress and where we are. Honestly think that Leeds will be an aberration - they'll be pushing for the autos. Bulk of their side is settled, with only a few choice additions. They've had an experienced Manager come in and drill them into a cohesive attacking force that will end up blowing away most teams in this division.

That doesn't necessarily excuse yesterday's sh1tshow, but we mustn't be overly harsh, or panic too much. 9 new players, inexperienced Manager, it's going to take time. Beginning to think the best thing Mel and Frank could have done when Frank was appointed would have been to write off a promotion push this season. If it happened, great, but a realistic expectation should probably have been set. 

We probably are a few players short still, but we have a good squad, better than last season. Just need to figure out how to get the best out of them.

I know traditionally we've played under-strength teams in the League Cup, but given where we are I'd put our strongest side out against Oldham. They need to be playing, and gelling.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like we will be letting a few in for the first half of this season. Potentially Frank's style of play is good in theory, but we dont have the players good enough in possession to carry it out. Aggressive football is nice but we're leaving ourselves horribly short at the back. 

I’ve had time to chill and contemplate now, couple of things stand out for me.

1. To many players flapping on the ball in possession, is it a Derby thing? Seems to happen every season, is the pressure? Expectation? Players for some reason just cannot seem to relax playing for Derby County, no matter the manager / playing squad, same problems different season. Look how calm and assured Leeds were on the ball yesterday. 

2. We could have stuck 7 players in midfield and Sais would have carved through every single one of them, he’s that good. He’s frightening at this level and in my opinion is comfortably a premier league player. He will continue to carve teams open until the penny drops and they double up on him and kick the **** out of him for 90 minutes. Stop Sais and you stop Leeds 

9 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Just watched the post match interview with Gibson. Lampard is fuming, you can see he’s really angry about the result. Watch how he spits out the update on Curtis’ fitness.

This is good. In my opinion, he’s been tactically out-thought in both matches so far. I thought we played better today than against Reading, we just came across a better team and we were not good enough.

My major concern is midfield and I’m shocked as it’s where Lampard should know the most about. Not only did we allow too much space (I know Saiz is good, but we made him look like a world-beater and he’s not THAT good), but we hardly won any challenge or second ball. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want to see Ledley anywhere near the team again. Bryson is also too slow and lightweight. What options do we have? Johnson and Evans. Johnson can have a great game one week and a shocker the next. Who knows what Evans is like?

I thought Wisdom improved on his showing against Reading and Tomori looked good. Other than that it was a bit of a poo show.

Mostly agree Sir. Signs were there at Reading that Midfield was a problem. 

I hope Frank's furious. I think he'll learn much more in defeat than victory. It was a horrible match to lose but one good thing was we had quite a lot of chances and, despite some of the problems, you could see that we could end up scoring a ton of goals with a bit more understanding as the players get to know each other.

If some of these players can't do what Frank wants then we've a big squad from which to find others who will. Interesting selection for Oldham.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I hope Frank's furious. I think he'll learn much more in defeat than victory. It was a horrible match to lose but one good thing was we had quite a lot of chances and, despite some of the problems, you could see that we could end up scoring a ton of goals with a bit more understanding as the players get to know each other.

If some of these players can't do what Frank wants then we've a big squad from which to find others who will. Interesting selection for Oldham.

Did we create that much? 7 attempts for a home game ain't great.....

10 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Just watched the post match interview with Gibson. Lampard is fuming, you can see he’s really angry about the result. Watch how he spits out the update on Curtis’ fitness.

This is good. In my opinion, he’s been tactically out-thought in both matches so far. I thought we played better today than against Reading, we just came across a better team and we were not good enough.

My major concern is midfield and I’m shocked as it’s where Lampard should know the most about. Not only did we allow too much space (I know Saiz is good, but we made him look like a world-beater and he’s not THAT good), but we hardly won any challenge or second ball. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want to see Ledley anywhere near the team again. Bryson is also too slow and lightweight. What options do we have? Johnson and Evans. Johnson can have a great game one week and a shocker the next. Who knows what Evans is like?

I thought Wisdom improved on his showing against Reading and Tomori looked good. Other than that it was a bit of a poo show.

Tomori was at fault for goals 2 and 4 

lost roofe spectacularly for goal number 2 and then completely and utterly misjudged the flight of the ball for the 4th, when the ball travels that distance to get caught underneath it like that is amateurish quite frankly.

he won the ball well when it was there to be won, and a few when he had no right to win but those two goals were very very basic defending gone wrong 

35 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Did we create that much? 7 attempts for a home game ain't great.....

Hadn't looked at the stats so just did and it says 12 attempts, 4 on target. So not sure where your 7 comes from, but stats can be deceiving. 

I felt Mount could easily have had a hattrick while Waghorn was free with the ball on the six yard area at the end. It seemed to me that our forward press unnerved Leeds and gave us the ball in dangerous positions all around their box.

If, at the start of the second half, had Mount stuck it in or pulled it back for Waghorn (instead of scuffing a shot that went between the two) we'd have equalized and it would have been a completely different game from then on. 

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hadn't looked at the stats so just did and it says 12 attempts, 4 on target. So not sure where your 7 comes from, but stats can be deceiving. 

I felt Mount could easily have had a hattrick while Waghorn was free with the ball on the six yard area at the end. It seemed to me that our forward press unnerved Leeds and gave us the ball in dangerous positions all around their box.

If, at the start of the second half, had Mount stuck it in or pulled it back for Waghorn (instead of scuffing a shot that went between the two) we'd have equalized and it would have been a completely different game from then on. 

We will have to agree to disagree. I thought when the 4th went in we might go on to concede 6 or 7. They took their foot off the gas but still forced a point blank save out of Carson and were clean through on goal twice more after the fourth. I can't remember their keeper having a save to make......

12 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Great post !? I also think that Lowe’s inexperience and naivety has cost us dearly in both games so far.We need a mobile midfielder who isn’t shrugged off the ball so easily and an established pattern of play that may well take some time to implement.When Malone and Davies are back in we should improve but the back four need more protection than they got yesterday. Too many players of ours were trying to beat more than  one player and Leeds showed us the benefits of passing to a player wearing the same coloured shirt.Work in progress but my initial doubts about appointing Lampard were increased watching the first two games.Still,there’s a long way to go yet but I wonder how many of us expect anything at Millwall?

If we're going to continue with this formation then we need to sign to find a Championship level version of Kante at Chelsea. A player with very high energy levels who can cover for the holes that we are leaving behind the front 5.

Doubt there are many of them available on loan unless Kante himself fancies a pop at the Championship !!

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

If we're going to continue with this formation then we need to sign to find a Championship level version of Kante at Chelsea. A player with very high energy levels who can cover for the holes that we are leaving behind the front 5.

Doubt there are many of them available on loan unless Kante himself fancies a pop at the Championship !!

Not going to happen, we just need to get either Huddlestone, Johnson, Thorne or new signing Evans to play that holding role and stick in there in front of our centre backs for cover when our full backs have gone forward

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Yes he wasn't ranting and raving but still in his own way gave every impression that he was not best pleased with his players . They knew leeds strengths but did nothing about them. TBH some of it was lampards fault... If we've just bought  a player with recent premier league experience at left back why not play him? Lowe was like a rabbit in the headlights. 

Archived