Furious Frank

drgoodspeak

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

I thought we need a DM who would just sit and pick passes to be honest

A quick and mobile DM might have helped stop Saiz but it would still have left us with no midfield 

Obviously a quick DM who can run the show would be most ideal 

We have Huddlestone for that passing role if the game requires him if the game requires someone with know how and speed who do we have if Evans isn't that player?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

We have Huddlestone for that passing role if the game requires him if the game requires someone with know how and speed who do we have if Evans isn't that player?

You don’t really need to be quick for that role, you just have to read the game well. 

Saiz kept finding space Saturday because the Leeds press exposed our fluid midfield and Ledley in particular. Ledley would go to rotate, we’d lose the ball too soon and Saiz was in acres. 

Had somebody just sat and screened the defence then Saiz wouldn’t have beeen goal-side of the DM every time. 

Say if this was Huddlestone we’d have also had somebody for the defence to play to. 

A quicker DM may well have been able to recover but we’d have still had the issue of having a non-existent midfield. 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

You don’t really need to be quick for that role, you just have to read the game well. 

Saiz kept finding space Saturday because the Leeds press exposed our fluid midfield and Ledley in particular. Ledley would go to rotate, we’d lose the ball too soon and Saiz was in acres. 

Had somebody just sat and screened the defence then Saiz wouldn’t have beeen goal-side of the DM every time. 

Say if this was Huddlestone we’d have also had somebody for the defence to play to. 

A quicker DM may well have been able to recover but we’d have still had the issue of having a non-existent midfield. 

You're right in that a quick DM isn't particularly necessary, though I think that only applies if the fullbacks aren't caught way out of position up the field or whether you don't turn possession over easily.

The midfield was horrific against Leeds. Ledley especially. But he was made to look worse by Lowe being caught way up the field and the ball being easily lost.

The first goal came as a direct result of Lowe cheaply losing the ball in the final third, running into traffic. He left a massive void which Saiz moved into, prompting Ledley to try and cover that space leaving Hernandez and Klich completely free in the middle.

Ledley didn't have the pace to close down Saiz where a more mobile DM would have. Having said that, even if we had N'Golo Kante there, we would have still been in trouble as you simply can't afford to have your LB give the ball away so cheaply there.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Any rams fan with any nouce what so ever, could tell you that Championship football is more competive and more physical than academy football where Morris comes from, and is less technical and has players with less quality than the premiership or international level (which is where Frank comes from. Neither of these guys are experienced at championship level. So the chances of them getting found out against a street wise team with serious championship experience was always likely to be high.

I agree. And before the season started I thought most people would know that there will be times where the team look naive. On Saturday was one of those games. In fact pre season teams gave us the time and respect you would find in the PL. You get pressing wrong in the PL and players punish you. They can withstand more pressing than Keogh and Wisdom! Here, as we know, there's a dip in quality but plenty of graft. You get pressed all day long if you haven't got the ability to punish teams for it. 

We know this division as we've been watching it since Lampard left West Ham with the exception of 1 terrible season. He's getting a crash course.

The rate our wingers lose the ball is particularly bad. I bet they lost it more times this season than Lampard's previous teams wingers would lose it in a month!

On 12/08/2018 at 04:31, drgoodspeak said:

Just watched the post match interview with Gibson. Lampard is fuming, you can see he’s really angry about the result. Watch how he spits out the update on Curtis’ fitness.

This is good. In my opinion, he’s been tactically out-thought in both matches so far. I thought we played better today than against Reading, we just came across a better team and we were not good enough.

My major concern is midfield and I’m shocked as it’s where Lampard should know the most about. Not only did we allow too much space (I know Saiz is good, but we made him look like a world-beater and he’s not THAT good), but we hardly won any challenge or second ball. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want to see Ledley anywhere near the team again. Bryson is also too slow and lightweight. What options do we have? Johnson and Evans. Johnson can have a great game one week and a shocker the next. Who knows what Evans is like?

I thought Wisdom improved on his showing against Reading and Tomori looked good. Other than that it was a bit of a poo show.

Watching frank on the bbc he always came across as a very well informed exfootballer pundit,who knew what Another managers needed to do and how players needed to play the formation to get the best out of a team etc

As a manager he looks somewhat lost and a bit out of his depth for the moment but I’m sure that will change. I’d like to see honest intelligent frank who knows about the game being interviewed telling us not about the obvious stuff we’ve all seen but how he intends changing things in the same manor he used as a pundit. Not angry or disappointed or becoming same as all the other managers spouting the same old s’it.

welcome to the championship Frank maybe get together with lineker and a few others of the lads from match of the day and you can sort derby out. 

2 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Any rams fan with any nouce what so ever, could tell you that Championship football is more competive and more physical than academy football where Morris comes from, and is less technical and has players with less quality than the premiership or international level (which is where Frank comes from. Neither of these guys are experienced at championship level. So the chances of them getting found out against a street wise team with serious championship experience was always likely to be high.

Jody was in the Championship for 4 years as a player and the majority of the Chelsea academy kids go out on loan to the Championship every season(who he keeps an eye on), so I don't think it's a case of them not knowing what the Championship actually is rather than a case of getting the team settled in. Personally I was massively disappointed with the game and whilst I think the quality of players in the Championship is lower and it's harder to play the kind of football Frank wants to play, it doesn't mean he should throw the towel in. We only need to look at Jok last season or even Bielsa's Leeds this season to understand how well good attacking teams can play. It's much easier to get a load of low quality players behind the ball defending for their lives and trying to counter rather than training a team to defend and attack with high energy and play with creativity and positivity. I don't think Frank foresaw how his players would play the match and that was his main problem, he was naive in that aspect. I do hope, however, that he gets back on the training ground, puts the players to work on moving the ball around quickly and making them aware of how to play as a team. It was also noticeable how dire we looked in defensive transitions but that was mostly due to giving the ball away cheaply when in possession. Lots of work to be done but I trust Frank coz he's an intelligent man and he'll hopefully figure out how to get the team ticking.

Unfortunately FL is still trying to create the style of play of a silk purse but only has lumps of pigs ears to do it with.

It is and will continue to be a very large learning curve for him. But he comes across as an intelligent footballing man, so we will get there in the end, but there will be obstacles that he will have to overcome. One of which is getting the players to play a style of football he wants us to play and to gel as a unit, those that are incapable will go....

I have faith in Frank Lampard. COYR

I am going to be on Frank top lip watch … .. the top edge, to one side it twitches and curls up in to a tiny little sneer almost baring a tooth as he remembers the worst bits and what really narked him at the time. ?

On 12/08/2018 at 14:18, Carl Sagan said:

Hadn't looked at the stats so just did and it says 12 attempts, 4 on target. So not sure where your 7 comes from, but stats can be deceiving. 

I felt Mount could easily have had a hattrick while Waghorn was free with the ball on the six yard area at the end. It seemed to me that our forward press unnerved Leeds and gave us the ball in dangerous positions all around their box.

If, at the start of the second half, had Mount stuck it in or pulled it back for Waghorn (instead of scuffing a shot that went between the two) we'd have equalized and it would have been a completely different game from then on. 

Also thought that Waghorn shouldve done better in first half when didn't connect properly in the box and only half hit it i think maybe because not quite match fit and as you say Mount's effort, I don't think its going to take long for FL to se that the midfield 3 dont work rotating and maybe the DM needs to play just that

22 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

Huddlestone is too slow,Johnson has the touch of an elephant and,sadly,I don’t see Thorne having a future here.Not seen Evans yet so can’t comment.There must be a Prem Club out there that has the type of player we need.?

Lee Cattermole is available......... anyone ????  

I just watched that interview for the first time. I thought he might say something like, ‘of corse I’m furious’ which would instigate this thread. 

He didnt, he just gave an interview with honest answers. But he was so obviously furious. He was almost jumping up and down, and didn’t want to answer inane questions about davies’ injury and the selection for Oldham, he just wanted to get on with the job of fixing it. If he could’ve called a training session right then I bet he would’ve. That was great to see. 

The he said ‘we won’t mention individuals’ at the end made me think, he has a couple of individuals in mind for the chopping block, and was biting his tongue not to mention them. 

Even when he describes Lawrence’s goal he didn’t seem too happy about it. He’s like ‘yeah, it’s a free kick, he’s got that ability, he can knock them in for fun...’ the bit he didn’t say but wanted to was ‘I can’t just bring him on for free kicks though, he (and everyone else) have to do better in open play)’. 

It’s great that he wants to work on getting it right. My only question mark is, what happens if the players never live up to his expectation, and mel’s pockets aren’t bottomless to buy in champions league quality players. Can he handle that? You can come up with the most perfect plan in the world, but if the players just aren’t good enough to enact it, they’ll make you look a tit match after match. 

1 hour ago, Saity said:

Lee Cattermole is available......... anyone ????  

I’ve seen a lot of posts on here asking for a new dm, but not seen Evans play, so can’t comment, but we definitely need a new dm. 

This has to be a dcfcfans record, we’re essentially looking for a replacement before a player has even played a game. 

How about we let Evan’s have a game before we decide he isn’t the answer, and we need someone else?

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ve seen a lot of posts on here asking for a new dm, but not seen Evans play, so can’t comment, but we definitely need a new dm. 

This has to be a dcfcfans record, we’re essentially looking for a replacement before a player has even played a game. 

How about we let Evan’s have a game before we decide he isn’t the answer, and we need someone else?

Idiots gonna Id

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I just watched that interview for the first time. I thought he might say something like, ‘of corse I’m furious’ which would instigate this thread. 

He didnt, he just gave an interview with honest answers. But he was so obviously furious. He was almost jumping up and down, and didn’t want to answer inane questions about davies’ injury and the selection for Oldham, he just wanted to get on with the job of fixing it. If he could’ve called a training session right then I bet he would’ve. That was great to see. 

The he said ‘we won’t mention individuals’ at the end made me think, he has a couple of individuals in mind for the chopping block, and was biting his tongue not to mention them. 

Even when he describes Lawrence’s goal he didn’t seem too happy about it. He’s like ‘yeah, it’s a free kick, he’s got that ability, he can knock them in for fun...’ the bit he didn’t say but wanted to was ‘I can’t just bring him on for free kicks though, he (and everyone else) have to do better in open play)’. 

It’s great that he wants to work on getting it right. My only question mark is, what happens if the players never live up to his expectation, and mel’s pockets aren’t bottomless to buy in champions league quality players. Can he handle that? You can come up with the most perfect plan in the world, but if the players just aren’t good enough to enact it, they’ll make you look a tit match after match. 

Thanks for summary Tedd  - very helpful and I hadn't heard the interview. 

I remember reading an interview with Nigel and he clearly got frustrated with what he viewed as unintelligent players. He would ask "why did you do that" then give them one more chance before moving on to the next player - basically giving up on those he saw as unable to get it.

This may also be frank's biggest challenge - how to cope with players of a far lesser standard than himself. 

PistoldPete2
On 12/08/2018 at 16:56, plymouthram said:

Frank being furious shows his pride was hurt. He was a winner as a player and probably didn't taste many 4-1 defeats in his playing career

well he did lose 4-1 to Germany, mind you should have been 4-2 at most as his goal was disallowed for being too obviously over the line.

It's a real challenge which is why often players with lesser ability, that really had to fight and work for a playing career, make better managers. 

Was said of Zola that he was still better than half the players at West Ham and couldn't work with a standard below his own. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Don’t need anyone else, jump on the U23 thread ........ George is back!!!! ?

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You're right in that a quick DM isn't particularly necessary, though I think that only applies if the fullbacks aren't caught way out of position up the field or whether you don't turn possession over easily.

The midfield was horrific against Leeds. Ledley especially. But he was made to look worse by Lowe being caught way up the field and the ball being easily lost.

The first goal came as a direct result of Lowe cheaply losing the ball in the final third, running into traffic. He left a massive void which Saiz moved into, prompting Ledley to try and cover that space leaving Hernandez and Klich completely free in the middle.

Ledley didn't have the pace to close down Saiz where a more mobile DM would have. Having said that, even if we had N'Golo Kante there, we would have still been in trouble as you simply can't afford to have your LB give the ball away so cheaply there.

Yes Lowe had a mare TBH. Odd he was playing when we've just signed a LB from the Prem. Also I thought Tomori was played out of position. He looked poor in the air... not a proper CB. 

Archived