Furious Frank

drgoodspeak

Agree that Lawerence is both exciting and infuriating though not in equal measure. Atm, he infuriates more. Nothing worse than taking an extra touch when not needed, an extra step over when not needed. You may put the opposition of balance for a second but you do it to your own team mates too who are anticipating a pass having made a run into space. It may be more difficult on the wing to see cute short passes (and there are fewer options) hence why I think he looks better in the middle with a bit of a free role. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

All fair points. I can't really argue with anyone and, to be honest, I don't really want to.

The bit I've put in bold is why.

I don't think either of us are right or wrong on this. Just maybe choosing to look at the same room through two different windows. 

I personally think, from what I've seen enough from the two games so far, that come the end of the season, we will both be looking back at Lawrence and Wilson as two very good players who have had two positive seasons.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't think you have a problem with those players. I've just not really ever known you to call out individuals as often as you have been lately, especially Wisdom. 

I think both players have technique and ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come good. 

I think it's Wisdoms casual body language that makes it worse. I suppose at the end of the day it's what you do that counts and not how you do it. In that case Lowe and Keogh have probably been worse than Wisdom. He just looks so bloody casual and relies on body strength. Never bothered me last season at all. 

I should stop moaning about Wilson especially though. He's a youth loan and trying to impress. 

16 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Ronaldo plays in a selfish way and scores 40 goals a season- whats wrong with Lawrence trying it. didn't Lowe lose the ball for the first goal?

Stop defending Lowe, his defending is woeful and will rightfully make way for Malone.

People moaned last season that Lawrence didn't do enough or score enough goals - 2 in 2 and people moan jheeez lets get Weimann back and watch that hard working headless chicken run about.....

Because Ronaldo is Ronaldo. Messi does nothing to win the ball back but would we be ok if Mason Mount/Bryson stood around doing nothing. You feed Ronaldo and magic happens. You feed Lawrence and it doesn't. When magic stops happening for Ronaldo then he will either adapt or fall. 

Lowe was terrible. No argument there. He may have set Leeds off for the goal but Lawrence launched a few attacks for Leeds himself. Lampard wanted Ledley and Lowe to support the play. If the ball doesn't stick then they get caught in no man's land. And they did. 

Lowe got battered. He had a poor game. But you're not suggesting that defending is his job and attacking is Lawrence job on that left side? Lowe was isolated constantly. 

Like I said already. 2 in 2. Great. But how many chances are wasted by greed? How many attacks are lost on him? One example is on Saturday when he refused an open Waghorn to continue dribbling. If this was a contest to see how many Lawrence can score then that's great. But it probably would have benefited Derby if Lawrence passed. And that's the case often. 2 in 2. So the other 180 odd minutes now become completely irrelevant? You wouldn't measure Keogh on tackle win % vs Reading after watching him pass the ball to them all game. You wouldn't thank Bryson for 100% pass completion if all passes were back to Carson. But Lawrence scores 2 goals and that means all the bad stuff in the two games had no negative effect on the result?

Weimann? What's he got to do with it? He's pants. But ironically he's scored twice this season so does that not prove us wrong? Are you suggesting that the only alternative to Lawrence is someone like Weimann?

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I've not written Wilson off mate. I'm saying he's been poor so far and infuriating. If it makes everyone feel better I could say he's played really well and is just a tad unlucky that he's tackled all the time and that those poor bits of play have left us stretched and exposed.

You see Lawrence trying to be positive. I see it as being selfish and greedy. 

Like I said the other day, 2 goals in 2 games may be the only stat that matters to some people but I'm more about how many chances we haven't created, how many goals we haven't scored and how many attacks the opposition have sprung because he refuses to pass to a teammate unless he's ran out of road. He only passes when he's in trouble. 

I don't really agree on Wilson, think he looks to do the right thing and could have had two assists on Saturday with through balls to Mount and another through ball to Ledley which could have led to a goal. Watching the game against Wolves, he gave the ball away a lot but that seemed to be from trying to play over ambitious passes rather than greed. Obviously there is some bad play in there as well, losing the ball for the fourth? goal sloppily. I think at this stage he can be given the benefit of the doubt, as he is going to be overly keen to impress and for those bits of play from the Leeds game and the disguised pass to Mount at Reading that was just over hit.

Lawrence on the other hand, makes me angrier than any other Derby player I can remember. Wingers are usually frustrating but he's a special case. He scored a great free kick in the first half and was still the worst player on the pitch, some achievement in that game. He gave the ball away every time he got it by attempting to run through his man - he usually waited until Lowe had made the run outside him. The only time he passes is if he thinks he'll get the ball straight back. The worst thing is with 2 goals in 2 games, I can't see him being dropped anytime soon and will just have to hope that he somehow improves.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Nah, if I'd had a air rifle then Lawrence and Wilson would be in massive trouble. Infuriating. Still think they're in a playground with their mates trying to get the ball off them. On the positive side there's no chance either will pick up injuries. 

Immaculate hair though. 

I’m sure the armed response unit might see that differently!?

4 hours ago, cannable said:

The problem with the midfield flexibility is that it needs a DM who can push up and has energy and it needs a #8 who can drop deep and instigate play. The timings might get better throughout the season but it still needs different personnel. 

Bryson is the one constantly dropping deep even though he’s nothing more than neat and tidy. Hughes would have been perfect for this role, Butters is the closest we have but he isn’t energetic enough to press. 

Hopefully Evans can be the DM. 

Great servant to the club and always tries his best but I think he’s become the “sacred cow” of the squad.Any criticism,however well intentioned,is met with a torrent of abuse from the “nostalgia” brigade!.Age and injuries have caught up with him and,despite his best endeavours,he’s not cutting it in my opinion.Ryan Woods was the player I most wanted in the transfer window but it never happened,sadly!

On 13/08/2018 at 23:16, TigerTedd said:

I was thinking about that game too. People whistfully say ‘if franks goal had been allowed, it would have been 2-2, could have been a different story then. We were robbed by the ref.’

nah, the only difference is that the score would have been 4-2. Germany were all over us in that game. 

Exactly the same for anyone thinking Mount scoring his chance would have made a significant difference. Leeds were the better team, the only difference is that the score would have been 4-2. 

Absolutely spot on TT

Archived