Crazy Keogh hating

I don’t want to get too analytical, but when I do see defensive criticisms I do sometimes wonder how many people actually understand how defending works. Its bloody difficult and not just the ‘block! kick! head! why weren’t you there?’ approach so many have.

In regards to Saturday, when I rewatched it, I wondered why Keogh was so deep, but, he was trying to cover the far post and make sure he couldn’t put it in for a cross. He was right, but it’s an impossible task and it proved to be. Once the shot is taken, all Keogh can do is throw something at it and hope for the best. If it goes anywhere else then he looks a genius so that shows the margins. (I was in the East Stand Corner too and it was going in anyway).

How do you prevent it? If Keogh/Bogle were in a position to be tighter to Redmond maybe to begin with? If Tomori is in the box then that means Keogh can push wider? Importantly it’s about players  not being pulled out of position beforehand, once it’s down to the shot on goal it’s purely down to luck and Keogh can only do so much. 

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, KCG said:

You are just making an assumption. I was replying to someone else and his photo, from which there is no way anyone could make out what had happened or was going to happen. Have a look it!

To be frank I don't care what line you have drawn, because my opinion, and that of others, is that from the TV motion pictures (!) it was clear it was not going in.

Keogh should have and could have, calmly cleared the shot anyway.

Not sure who has insulted you, but I did post a picture in reply to your assertion that there was a player behind who could have cleared it and that he should have left it. My screenshot showed that this was not an option.

Sorry it's caused you such grief...

The only positive I can see in Keogh leaving now is that I would have a few months of rolling out the 'told you so' when we're plummeting down the division. Unfortunately, as I'd rather see us do well then I hope it doesn't happen. 

We do need to plan for a long term replacement though. No question about that. We have plenty other issues to focus on in the meantime - Keogh may well be the only natural CB on our books come the start of next season if Davies, Pearce & Tomori all leave. 

On 06/01/2019 at 10:31, Key clubber said:

Haven’t a few managers dropped Keogh for his performances ? 

True .. but Richard is like any other player and has occasional drops in form. That doesn’t make him a bad player who has had his day. It’s normal in the football and sporting world. 

Why is it that a drop in form for Keogh = rubbish player. Yet others it’s usually  “he needs a rest” ? 

Based on the Republic of Ireland scenario  which means you probably qualify if your dog’s been bred over there , i wouldn’t read to much into Keogh being picked , bearing in mind Pearce is his understoody as well at international level  and he hasn’t  kicked a competitive ball from god knows when. 

Regarding money to replace him the areas we’ve needed to improve have far out weighed the centre back positions , this is no longer the case , we have a loan centre back who will almost certainly go back at the end of the season , an ageing Davis who will be looking for his last contract if any, and a defender in Keogh who’s mistakes are becoming more and more regular. 

Can’t deny Keogh is a great servant to the club just like Bryson has been but now is the time to replace.

Yes managers have dropped him but they also selected him again. If he was that poor then it would not matter about other areas he would have been replaced. We didn’t need Johnson and Butterfield when they were bought. A replacement could have happened then. What you are basically saying is if you are Irish then you get selected. Yes they have not got as Mandy to choose from but again if he blatantly isn’t good enough then why select him.

1 minute ago, Warwick Ram said:

Yes managers have dropped him but they also selected him again. If he was that poor then it would not matter about other areas he would have been replaced. We didn’t need Johnson and Butterfield when they were bought. A replacement could have happened then. What you are basically saying is if you are Irish then you get selected. Yes they have not got as Mandy to choose from but again if he blatantly isn’t good enough then why select him.

Is Mandy any good?

14 hours ago, unclej said:

Bogle 6 yards deeper than everyone else playing him onside, neither Roos or Bogle tell Keogh he has lost his player. Poor play by Keogh, but others also need to help out. 

I find it funny that Tomori loses his man and Keogh gets criticised because he wasn't there to tell him to mark someone, then Keogh gets criticised for losing his man yet there was no one talking to him.

Based on the Republic of Ireland scenario  which means you probably qualify if your dog’s been bred over there , i wouldn’t read to much into Keogh being picked , bearing in mind Pearce is his understoody as well at international level  and he hasn’t  kicked a competitive ball from god knows when. 

Regarding money to replace him the areas we’ve needed to improve have far out weighed the centre back positions , this is no longer the case , we have a loan centre back who will almost certainly go back at the end of the season , an ageing Davis who will be looking for his last contract if any, and a defender in Keogh who’s mistakes are becoming more and more regular. 

Can’t deny Keogh is a great servant to the club just like Bryson has been but now is the time to replace.

28 minutes ago, jono said:

True .. but Richard is like any other player and has occasional drops in form. That doesn’t make him a bad player who has had his day. It’s normal in the football and sporting world. 

Why is it that a drop in form for Keogh = rubbish player. Yet others it’s usually  “he needs a rest” ? 

4 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

I must have missed all these Derby managers that have dropped him? The only one that has dropped him was Rowett. Hardly a case of it being a good decision. The only other time Keogh has not played in the league for us when he has been fit is when Buxton and Keane had a little spell around Xmas/New Year in 13/14 after Keogh was out injured, then the Leicester match happened and Keogh was back in. 

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Bogle 6 yards deeper than everyone else playing him onside, neither Roos or Bogle tell Keogh he has lost his player. Poor play by Keogh, but others also need to help out. 

I find it funny that Tomori loses his man and Keogh gets criticised because he wasn't there to tell him to mark someone, then Keogh gets criticised for losing his man yet there was no one talking to him.

I haven't looked but I'm guessing it was the free header? Premier League winning captain did something very similar against Newport to give away the opener. I wonder if he's getting crucified by some of their fans.

Archived