U23s v Blackburn @ Pride Park 13/8, Free Entry

Day

2 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Sibley great future ahead of him, if you good enough you old enough. Thorne looked good & certainly as good if not better than what’s turned up for first XI in the first two games. Martin I’m still not convinced I’m afraid ? 

Not much service until Sibley came on, then things livened up. Martin looked as good as Waghorn on that showing ie neither looked match fit but will be good when they are.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From that, I hope Frank wouldn't dream of sending Martin and Thorne on loan, the latter looked fit enough and the former was well above the skill level of those around him.

Seeing as we'll more than likely be paying the bulk of there wages, it makes more sense to keep them here.

Sibley also looked great when he came on, no idea what his best position will be but a natural footballer.

George took a couple of hefty challenges in the 1st half which he brushed off so we can assume he's mentally over his injuries. Thought he grew into the game and as you would expect found more time and space on the ball once they went down to ten men. A positive step forward but he's still some way to go before he's back to his very best. Keep up the good work George we need you more than ever. 

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

From that, I hope Frank wouldn't dream of sending Martin and Thorne on loan, the latter looked fit enough and the former was well above the skill level of those around him.

Seeing as we'll more than likely be paying the bulk of there wages, it makes more sense to keep them here.

Sibley also looked great when he came on, no idea what his best position will be but a natural footballer.

Spot on. Even now Thorne before Ledley for me, and Martin at least staying and fighting for the spot with Waghorn and Marriott.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Spot on. Even now Thorne before Ledley for me, and Martin at least staying and fighting for the spot with Waghorn and Marriott.

Agree with this ?, every time for me too once George match fit (which isn’t too far off I hope on tonight’s showing).

5 minutes ago, philmycock said:

It'll boil down to whether he is better than Evans? Or Ledley?

Better than Lesley imo no contest, Evans is an unknown quantity as far as I’m concerned so can’t really comment. Just know Thorne is sheer class and if he’s getting anywhere near then he’s a massive asset and would be a big loss. 

What is Thorne looking like physically? Always looked like he was carrying, which is staggering given the time he's had with nothing but a gym membership for company. 

A fit and lean George Thorne is one of the best around. It's just been a long long time. 

4 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

What is Thorne looking like physically? Always looked like he was carrying, which is staggering given the time he's had with nothing but a gym membership for company. 

A fit and lean George Thorne is one of the best around. It's just been a long long time. 

Looked to have lost a stone and gained a yard of pace.

Just now, TroyDyer said:

As lean as he's ever been in his time with us.

Also got crunched by late tackles twice in the first half, both worthy of a booking, yet bounced back up pretty much straight away. 

Most pleasing though was the 90 minutes he got through, seemed to have more influence and didn't fade the longer the game went on.

Obviously hard to tell what he was up against tonight, but he looked not far off full fitness, and I'd say it would be more worthwhile keeping him around than sending him out on loan.

Pleasing to hear both George and Chris still show quality. You don't lose technique and football brain. If they are fully fit then they're two of our better players and is say they'd suit our system. Thorne to dictate at DM and Martin to link play and get on the end of things.

No brainer to keep them if they're fit. Plenty others out of the door first...

Enjoyable fightback from the young (and not so young!) Rams this evening. 

Blackburn were very up for their first game in PL2 and were two up before we'd really got organised. Beaten by speed of movement for the first and shocking marking for the second.

Good to see the team apply themselves to get back into the game and maybe a little unlucky not to have won it in the end.

I am all for competitiveness, but I think some of Blackburn's tackles were reckless and I am just pleased everyone seems to have survived unscathed.

Butterfield neat and tidy , Thorne and Martin very rusty but both grew into the game. I loved how Thorne was organising everyone throughout. Sibley great when he came on, Elsnik had been disappointing - we know he can play much better. 

Some of the younger players seem a bit overawed when several seniors are playing so Thorne's encouragement was really key. Like others, I do hope that he can get back to his old self. Tonight was the first time I have seen him not looking winded at all - in fact he seemed to relish the challenge. 

Nice to see a fair crowd watching live the night before our away game at Oldham. 

Archived