U23s v Blackburn @ Pride Park 13/8, Free Entry

Day

Personally l think a few are going a bit overboard here. I am delighted George got 90 minutes in, and he did look strong towards the end, but he was up against Blackburn’s u23s. He didn’t particularly stand out in my view, until the last 20 minutes (when Blackburn were down to 10 men). Still think that a loan, with regular competive game time, through to January has to be the next logical step. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Enjoyable fightback from the young (and not so young!) Rams this evening. 

Blackburn were very up for their first game in PL2 and were two up before we'd really got organised. Beaten by speed of movement for the first and shocking marking for the second.

Good to see the team apply themselves to get back into the game and maybe a little unlucky not to have won it in the end.

I am all for competitiveness, but I think some of Blackburn's tackles were reckless and I am just pleased everyone seems to have survived unscathed.

Butterfield neat and tidy , Thorne and Martin very rusty but both grew into the game. I loved how Thorne was organising everyone throughout. Sibley great when he came on, Elsnik had been disappointing - we know he can play much better. 

Some of the younger players seem a bit overawed when several seniors are playing so Thorne's encouragement was really key. Like others, I do hope that he can get back to his old self. Tonight was the first time I have seen him not looking winded at all - in fact he seemed to relish the challenge. 

Nice to see a fair crowd watching live the night before our away game at Oldham. 

Do you think Elsnik was subdued because he feels as far from the 1st team as ever?  

He really should be pushing on the 1st team, based on previous performances, but a change of manager has maybe held him back?

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Do you think Elsnik was subdued because he feels as far from the 1st team as ever?  

He really should be pushing on the 1st team, based on previous performances, but a change of manager has maybe held him back?

Yes, I do. His route into the first team is firmly blocked now by Mason Mount, who has that Premier League pedigree. 

Maybe a new manager with less clout would have given Elsnik an opportunity  but I think he will have to go on loan or even be sold now to get regular football.  A shame because unless we get promoted - and maybe even if we do - Mount will be gone at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Personally l think a few are going a bit overboard here. I am delighted George got 90 minutes in, and he did look strong towards the end, but he was up against Blackburn’s u23s. He didn’t particularly stand out in my view, until the last 20 minutes (when Blackburn were down to 10 men). Still think that a loan, with regular competive game time, through to January has to be the next logical step. 

Understand where you coming from and perhaps sentiment\nostalgia is playing a part but if Thorne keeps progressing would you really take Ledley over him? January is a good way away and if we can get him right sooner rather than later he would have the opportunity to be a big asset way before January. 

4 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Understand where you coming from and perhaps sentiment\nostalgia is playing a part but if Thorne keeps progressing would you really take Ledley over him? January is a good way away and if we can get him right sooner rather than later he would have the opportunity to be a big asset way before January. 

Quite....George has been injured,he's not a 18 year old prospect who needs bringing on..same with Martin.

I'd take George,esp in this system,over Huddersfield or ledley any day of the week when he's fit....he's a class above.

1 minute ago, Gisby said:

To keep progressing though he has to play, and my instinct is that Frank will go with Huddlestone as soon as he is fit, and be looking to give (his own pick) Evans some opportunities too.  It just doesn’t seem to me that George is close enough to a first team place, and therefore it would be more beneficial for all concerned if he gets some games elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

To keep progressing though he has to play, and my instinct is that Frank will go with Huddlestone as soon as he is fit, and be looking to give (his own pick) Evans some opportunities too.  It just doesn’t seem to me that George is close enough to a first team place, and therefore it would be more beneficial for all concerned if he gets some games elsewhere. 

I agree with this but I hope we loan, rather than sell George, so we can have him back again if he does come good. It would break my heart to see him tearing up this league with someone else. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I agree with this but I hope we loan, rather than sell George, so we can have him back again if he does come good. It would break my heart to see him tearing up this league with someone else. 

Me too Angie - not advocating selling at this stage. Get him regular game time with someone till January - the club keeping in constant touch with him - and then review again at that time. 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You more than likely correct ..... just that I would go with (a fit) Thorne over Huddlestone too. Just my opinion. I’ll go with whatever FL decides just hope any loan is with the intention of ultimately integrating George back into the first team squad and not putting him in the shop window. He’s potentially too good to let go.  

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, I do. His route into the first team is firmly blocked now by Mason Mount, who has that Premier League pedigree. 

Maybe a new manager with less clout would have given Elsnik an opportunity  but I think he will have to go on loan or even be sold now to get regular football.  A shame because unless we get promoted - and maybe even if we do - Mount will be gone at the end of the season.

Probably had a massive high after going on the pre season tour, then he only got about 30 mins in a game. Hanson got far more minutes only to be sold. Who knows what is going on but I am disappointed as I felt he had ability to be around the first team. What motivation is there when the route ahead is clearly blocked?

Argggh. On the one hand, we hear George is looking trim and fit, on the other that he's going out on loan. I guess as @i-Ram has suggested, the smart thing to do would be loan him to a club where he's more or less guaranteed games, but it really pains me to say it. A fit and flying George would have stopped Saiz looking like Messi on Saturday, of that I'm almost certain.

5 hours ago, 86 points said:

Argggh. On the one hand, we hear George is looking trim and fit, on the other that he's going out on loan. I guess as @i-Ram has suggested, the smart thing to do would be loan him to a club where he's more or less guaranteed games, but it really pains me to say it. A fit and flying George would have stopped Saiz looking like Messi on Saturday, of that I'm almost certain.

Whilst he looked fairly fit, he hardly bossed midfield even in an U23s game.

That's a long way from subduing an in-form Championship side.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Whilst he looked fairly fit, he hardly bossed midfield even in an U23s game.

That's a long way from subduing an in-form Championship side.

Which is why I said 'a fit and flying George' not the George who played last night. Never mind eh!

Archived