This is starting to remind me of circa 1992

Bob The Badger

For those of you old enough to remember.

Maxwell leaves and sails off into the sunset for an evening swim never to return and Pickering comes in.

Suddenly we go from transfer stagnation to transfer insanity with Cox bringing in one big signing after another.

It seemed every time we got to the point where I thought that was it I'd pick up the DET and low and behold he'd splashed out again (a bit like Maxwell).

Exciting times, but ultimately the expectancy and anticipation was never fully realized.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think it will be with Frank.

I was neither in favor nor against his appointment, but now he's delivered Christmas in August, I'm all for it.

I just hope they can offload the dead wood.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah. It's not even close to 92. I understand that most people are delighted because we were told we weren't bringing anyone in, but (potential Waghorn deal notwithstanding) we've got some very good loans and paid three transfer fees that barely beat the total Pickering paid out nearly 30 years ago.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Still gutted that that Johnson/Kitson/Gabbiadini front line never got to the promised land together. 

Ultimately it was failure until we moved to the next phase after that squad, but boy it was exciting along the way!

But we had the DPFG/Carsley combo which was a great pairing. Those two to win it, give it Ace, score. That's how my rose-tinted specs remembers it and I won't be told otherwise! :)) When DPFG thought he could play football for a while, I remember Ace looking at the bench in a strop 'cos he'd ran off into a dead-end (as he often did) rather than give it Ace (my favourite flair player).

Whilst I'm at it, I remember Tommy getting one on one with the keeper and just blazing it into the Ossy end so, so many times... awful finisher when given time. Always suffered with nerves bless him. 

On 07/08/2018 at 13:56, Bob The Badger said:

For those of you old enough to remember.

Maxwell leaves and sails off into the sunset for an evening swim never to return and Pickering comes in.

Suddenly we go from transfer stagnation to transfer insanity with Cox bringing in one big signing after another.

It seemed every time we got to the point where I thought that was it I'd pick up the DET and low and behold he'd splashed out again (a bit like Maxwell).

Exciting times, but ultimately the expectancy and anticipation was never fully realized.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think it will be with Frank.

I was neither in favor nor against his appointment, but now he's delivered Christmas in August, I'm all for it.

I just hope they can offload the dead wood.

Kitson, Johnson, Short, Pembridge etc.

Ultimately a really bad start cost us play offs that season, then the following year when they had bedded in we reached the final.

Of course then we sold a few of them, went down the bargain basement route, and entered mediocrity, and with the appointment of Smith and a cut costs and get top half mandate, that is exactly where I expected to stay. Wonder what would have happened if we had never signed Igor? Would probably have bumbled around the division a lot longer.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Wonder what would have happened if we had never signed Igor? Would probably have bumbled around the division a lot longer.

Shudder. Don't say that.

Sadly Arthur was one of those managers who couldn't handle money.

A genius at wheeling and dealing. I can remember when he sold Kevin Wilson when he was the top scorer in the division and I was like WTF!!!!

Then he used the money to buy Micklewhite and I think George Williams, although I may be wrong about George and I'm too lazy to look it up and we never looked back.

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Wasn’t 2015 the new 1992? If that wasn’t, I don’t know what is.

Yes it was. 2018 is the new 1995. New management (back then it was Jim Smith/Steve Mac) inheriting an overpriced/overpaid squad. Coming in & freshening things up, moving the system around & bingo.....promotion to the PL

Archived