Centre Half Video Nasty

irobinson

I thought the problem was Ledley who was largely anonymous and only looked half fit. Keogh needed Huddlestone to give the ball to. In the absence of Huddlestone he was effectively the playmaker in the first half and didn't look very comfortable in that role.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate Keogh. As has every other Derby Manager. Paid football professionals who know more about the game than us.

If he's as bad as some think, why does he continue to be picked by said paid football professionals? 

Could it be that they know more than us and can see he's a decent player?

It’s one game. They we’re both poor, Keogh more so, but he’s been a key part of a defence that is consistently at the right end of the table with regards to goals conceded & clean sheets since he got here. He’s been pretty much in discussions for the POTY award every year since he got here too - I think he’s won it twice? 

We know he’s got no issue with playing out from the back, so I don’t get the concern. All players have bad games, in fairness to Keogh and Davies they have a lot less than most others in our team. 

19 hours ago, RamNut said:

Its simple really. stop fannying around.

Get the ball forward. Give it someone who can play.......and if you can't do that, give it to bryson who can.

They couldn’t do that in the first half... every time our defence was in possession, our midfield were marking the Reading players. Ledley was the worst for hiding behind his man.  

We need to get rid of Keogh, but the problem is we haven't got the money in todays market to sign someone who is much better at the moment unless we take a risk and sign someone from the SPL or Ligue 1 or some other foreign league. Keoghs not bad most of the time but hes not consistent enough if you are looking to get automatic promotion or have a strong chance of winning the play offs.  We would need to spend about 6 mill  + to replace him and wed have to quickly shift out either Keogh or pearce or the wage bill would get too high. If we selled  vydra and loaned out anya , blackman and Jerome id be looking at signing a centre back instead of Waghorn and keep martin as  an option.  Weve got enough quality upfront as it is but Keoghs lacks of composure, football brain and top defensive instincts( hoof it out rather than F about)  is a big part of our annual season collapse.

An astounding thread.

Its worth watching all of the pre season friendlies in order to get a handle on just how bafflingly odd the overall performance was friday eve compared to them, even the Mansfield game.

I'd like to think I'd wait a few games to see if friday turns into a habit before writing anything off.

In three games time with a 100% record and the first hat-trick of the season registered, all will be forgotten.

Much ado about nowt!

I think we just need to relax a little. First game of the season with new players, formation, tactics and philosophy. It can’t be easy transitioning from a team designed not to keep the ball to one that’s soul purpose is to use it and use it positively. Friday night there was far more of us keeping the ball and attempting to be positive, in contrast look at the last competitive game we played. At craven cottage that was awful, and that was supposed to be a play off game to get to Wembley not the first game of the season where you’d expect a team not to be amazing from the 1st minute. 

Having watched sheff u vs Swansea, many players on that pitch demonstrated similar rustiness and nerves. But funnily enough the away side showed more composure late on and came from behind to win just like us. I think overall we will see a much better display against Leeds as they may try to play football and with home advantage I naturally think we will be more on our game from the start.

Agree with others, for a team to play out from the back the holding midfielder has to move to pick up the ball, Ledley did not do that. He also needs to stay in position, he seemed to drift into attacking positions a number of times. Maybe fluid interchange is lampards plan, but I think Ledley can leave it to the talented 5 players ahead of him. 

Looking forward to Leeds!! UTR 

On 04/08/2018 at 08:50, therealhantsram said:

I'll say again what I said in the match day thread. The problem was not Keogh. The problem was the midfield failing to show for him. Ledley in particular had a poor game. We need much more from the holding midfielder in this formation than intercepting attacks. They need to start the forward play off. Without a functional midfield Keogh was being left to try and be the playmaker himself. 

Laudible goals for the lad... But its not his job. 

Ledley was the first to get subbed off last night and I wasn't surprised. Hopefully have Huddlestone back next week. 

you can't blame the midfield for someone in defense playing a miss placed pass that's got to be the individual concerned

17 minutes ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

We need to get rid of Keogh, but the problem is we haven't got the money in todays market to sign someone who is much better at the moment unless we take a risk and sign someone from the SPL or Ligue 1 or some other foreign league. Keoghs not bad most of the time but hes not consistent enough if you are looking to get automatic promotion or have a strong chance of winning the play offs.  We would need to spend about 6 mill  + to replace him and wed have to quickly shift out either Keogh or pearce or the wage bill would get too high. If we selled  vydra and loaned out anya , blackman and Jerome id be looking at signing a centre back instead of Waghorn and keep martin as  an option.  Weve got enough quality upfront as it is but Keoghs lacks of composure, football brain and top defensive instincts( hoof it out rather than F about)  is a big part of our annual season collapse.

Absolute drivel. Keogh had a very poor 45 minutes on Friday but so did all the back four so shall we get rid of them as well?

Out of interest - did you see the Boro highlights from yesterday? Reported to have paid £8m for Aden Flint and he performed like one of those 4-legged animals that go back and forth on Blackpool beach. O'Connell (Sheff U), claiming to be the next Maguire, run ragged in the second half against Swansea.

This is your opinion which is fine, just glad it's not been shared by Clough, McClaren, Wassall, Pearson, Clement, Rowett and now Lampard.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

Surely you contradict yourself there? If hes as bad as lots make out 600k should be enough to replace him.

Keogh is a top championship defender, but he's just that. Not a premier league defender, and not a £25 million defender. 

People need to remember that, no championship team has a perfect team full of Premier league quality playing without paying stupid money. Look at wolves last year, they signed Boly for £10 million, with a firm eye on the Premier league. 

We don't need our defense to be unbeatable, we just need it to be better than those around us. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Surely you contradict yourself there? If hes as bad as lots make out 600k should be enough to replace him.

What I mean to say and what I thought I made quite obvious was that he isn't a terrible player hes an average championship player who belongs at a team like Ipswich and not a team who want promotion, but in today's market unless you go abroad clubs are demanding 6 mill + for decent but not  brilliant defenders . So in order to replace him we either have to spend big, or look abroad through scouting players. Keogh is a top championship defender my arse, dont have such selective memories when the going gets tough he makes mistake after mistake and hes just lucky that he is davies next to him and carson to bail him out.  We could do worse than Keogh as hes no claude davis with him having his moments of quality, but if you offered Keogh to promotion rivals nobody would take him even on a minimal fee.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

we  probably could replace him for 600k but it would take some brilliant scouting and we have never been able to find any lower league talent since clough left.

3 hours ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

Weve got enough quality upfront as it is but Keoghs lacks of composure, football brain and top defensive instincts( hoof it out rather than F about)  is a big part of our annual season collapse.

It’s Keogh’s fault that he’s man marked because the only defender capable of playing from the back? 

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Absolute drivel. Keogh had a very poor 45 minutes on Friday but so did all the back four so shall we get rid of them as well?

Out of interest - did you see the Boro highlights from yesterday? Reported to have paid £8m for Aden Flint and he performed like one of those 4-legged animals that go back and forth on Blackpool beach. O'Connell (Sheff U), claiming to be the next Maguire, run ragged in the second half against Swansea.

This is your opinion which is fine, just glad it's not been shared by Clough, McClaren, Wassall, Pearson, Clement, Rowett and now Lampard.

Keogh was miles worse than the other 3 defenders and he is miles worse as a player than davies. I think Lampard knows we could do a lot better than Keogh we just cant go out and spend big fees on centre backs and Keogh will be on a high wage making it difficult to get rid of him. Rowett didn't necessarily rate him highly as he dropped him for Pearce at one point, its just that he prioritised investing our transfer funds in other positions so we dont have any one to come in who could do much better. If you asked managers of clubs like Middlesbrough , West Brom, Leeds, Swansea, stoke if they would want Keogh I think we know what the answer would be.

Archived