Centre Half Video Nasty

irobinson

Tell you what I was amazed by our centre half performance last night - surely a better team would have punished us 3/4 times over!!

If I was FL I would be showing that video footage to them and say WTF!! Astonishing!!

Keogh looked like he had never played football at all in his life for about 25 minutes....my hand was in my mouth...thought he might pull him off he was so bad

Be interesting to hear everyones else thoughts....but my investment after that performance would be a new centre half - not up top...we are doing alright there...thought Mason was excellent when he came on.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre season was all about performance over results, well last night was all about result over performance. I thought the 2 centre half’s and Ledley were shocking. Overall it was a bad performance but we got the 3 points. If we played a decent side we would have probably lost, we’re so easy to break on, last seasons derby would have had a field day against last nights display. 

The CDM needs to just get the ball, move it on and sit in front of the back four, if he gets caught up field we’re in trouble like we were last night on multiple occasions.

1 minute ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Pre season was all about performance over results, well last night was all about result over performance. I thought the 2 centre half’s and Ledley were shocking. Overall it was a bad performance but we got the 3 points. If we played a decent side we would have probably lost, we’re so easy to break on, last seasons derby would have had a field day against last nights display. 

The CDM needs to just get the ball, move it on and sit in front of the back four, if he gets caught up field we’re in trouble like we were last night on multiple occasions.

Tom Hud still has a role

Well he was fine against Wolves and Southampton. He has been fine for the vast majority of his... 5/6 years here when playing every game and he was fine in the second half. 

So he could show them a video of all the good passes over that time too? Or a 10 minute video of all Keogh's dodgy passing over the gazillion minutes he's played for the club.

Don't get me wrong, he was poor and he could have killed the game in that first half. But I'm sure he knows that.

Keogh will get all the stick for a 45 minute mare. 

Yet Andre Wisdom imo set alarm bells ringing with the way he played because he showed no interest in moving the ball quickly. He had no urgency or ambition at all. Keogh lost the ball doing what Lampard asked for. As did Max Lowe. But Wisdom kept the ball by being negative and slow. He also allowed 2 headers from crosses because he was busy trying to push people rather than attack the ball. The exact same tactic that got him booked. If there's alarm bells then it's at RB where we have no options really. 

Sad to say I have to agree with all the above. Have always had a lot it time for Keogh as I’ve always believed his heart & soul is in the club and he gives 100% every time but last night I too did begin to wonder if this is the beginning of the end ☹️

As we should all know he just can’t play in any sort of exposed role.  Both of them looked awful particularly with Ledley further up field.  They are both better quality championship defenders and therefore have weaknesses.  If keo plays he needs midfield protection

The centre halves were truely appalling yesterday, especially first half, but given their performances in the past for us, I’ll put it down to first game nerves. Keogh in particular needs to look and think more when he’s passing mind, there’s a lot of over criticism of him but he’s been guilty of the blind pass in the past and he needs to cut it out. Bringing in new cbs long term will certainly be a priority as neither Davies or Keogh are getting younger, but as it stands this window I’d just look at bringing in better cover than Pearce as I wouldn’t be comfortable with him stepping in if form continued as it did yesterday.

Not sure what frank can do to help to be honest , you can practice in training all you want but you can’t legislate for what happened first half today. Have to hope it doesn’t repeat as playing the high risk game we do, giving the ball away so cheaply all the time under pressure will prove disastrous against stronger teams, and is deterimental to the whole game plan. Certainly a lot for Lampard to mull over after last nights game.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Well he was fine against Wolves and Southampton. He has been fine for the vast majority of his... 5/6 years here when playing every game and he was fine in the second half. 

So he could show them a video of all the good passes over that time too? Or a 10 minute video of all Keogh's dodgy passing over the gazillion minutes he's played for the club.

Don't get me wrong, he was poor and he could have killed the game in that first half. But I'm sure he knows that.

Keogh will get all the stick for a 45 minute mare. 

Yet Andre Wisdom imo set alarm bells ringing with the way he played because he showed no interest in moving the ball quickly. He had no urgency or ambition at all. Keogh lost the ball doing what Lampard asked for. As did Max Lowe. But Wisdom kept the ball by being negative and slow. He also allowed 2 headers from crosses because he was busy trying to push people rather than attack the ball. The exact same tactic that got him booked. If there's alarm bells then it's at RB where we have no options really. 

I think this is very insightful. Good points re: Keogh too.

When GR sold Christie it was because he was more of a wing back and he liked his defenders to sit deep and tackle. That's why he bought Wisdom. Now actually I have seen Wisdom get forward to good effect on a number of occasions, and he has a decent cross on him, but it isn't what his game is about. I do think Wisdom may be more of a centre half option in a FL team.  I can see us buying another RB unless we play Anya.

Whenever I've seen Anya play he gives it his all. His final ball can let him down but I'd give him a go at full back

29 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Could see what George Evans is made of in one of those positions. 

Or as a lateral thought give Tom h a tryout at cb? Certainly composed on the ball - but can he defend?

Surely there's a couple of options in our squad of thousands ?

Used to play there at Derby on occasion in his first stint.  But no, we need him in midfield

I really must be watching a different game, defensively the CH's did ok especially with a big centre forward, they were cutting crosses out and blocking fine, the only problem was with distribution..... Personally it looked like we were trying to thread the eye of the needle and there was very little movement in midfield in front of them, which I was more disappointed with. Keogh did his one per season square pass which was intercepted, no excuse for that but ALL of the defence had passes intercepted when playing it forward. If we had more presence up front or proper blistering pace then they would have had an alternative out ball.

Second half when the midfield started to perform better (except Wilson, no idea why he was on the pitch for the full 90 with 2 options on the bench!) the distribution from defence was ten times better

First half looked like players making mistakes because they were trying too hard to please Frank. He obviously had a word at HT and calmed them down and got them playing better with less errors.  Clement obviously helped us out by reverting to type after they scored by trying to get them to defend their lead. But Keogh didn't make any more mistakes than any of the others, but it's more noticeable because of the position he plays. 

Archived