Centre Half Video Nasty

irobinson

28 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

That's exactly what he was doing. The two big mistakes he made came from a simple pass towards Davies and then one towards a centre mid who was near him. It's not like he made the errors trying to play a defence splitting pass through 5 or 6 people. He must have passed it to Wisdom and Davies, recycling the ball as you put it, around 30 or 40 times in that first half and unfortunately he wasn't fully concentrating for 2 of them and messed up. It was the 2nd half in which Keogh tried to force passes, but thanks to the midfield having a bit more movement taking away Reading players to make space, he was able to pull off those driven passes into feet more often than not

We went longer second half ...the 3 in midfield are obviously told to rotate as sometimes Ledley was the front of the 3...second half we were not looking for the ball into midfield so much but went longer to Wilson and Lawrence ...Thad how it looked to me...Keoghs passes that went astray were poor...you can look at mids not showing but they were poor passes and there is no excuse for giving the ball away so cheaply 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Saity said:

We went longer second half ...the 3 in midfield are obviously told to rotate as sometimes Ledley was the front of the 3...second half we were not looking for the ball into midfield so much but went longer to Wilson and Lawrence ...Thad how it looked to me...Keoghs passes that went astray were poor...you can look at mids not showing but they were poor passes and there is no excuse for giving the ball away so cheaply 

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, they were awful mistakes that shouldn't be happening. You just said he was trying to force the passes in the first half and I disagreed. In the first half all he did was keep it simple and the mistakes came from simple passes. In the second half he was trying to force passes a lot more (as well as go long on occasions as you've mentioned) and more often than not the pass would be a success. I might be wrong, but I put that down to the movement of players ahead of him which left little gaps for him to threat passes through

7 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

This is perfect for me Ossie...just as I saw it too. Noticeable first half the energy of Reading was very high, playing 4-4-2 they obviously knew our play out from the back game plan. Wolves and Saints previously were a bit sluggish closing us down and gave us space to play in. Pre seasons can often be quite open. 

Given fitness, nerves, pressure of getting everything right then I'm going to be forgiving of the first half. I'm sure we will get better at what we are trying to do.  I thought the team sucked first half, not just poor Keogh.  Very pleased to see a manager and coaching team respond at half time, recognize the issues and effect changes for 2nd half. 

What I don't agree with is Frank or the pundits " Reading didn't deserve to lose" claptrap... This is football. It's about how many times you put the ball in the net. Possession stats count for Nowt when you have been gifted a hatful of chances and missed most of them. 

We created three decent chances in the game and converted two. History books won't say Reading 1- 2 Derby " but Reading didn't deserve to lose..."

Bring on the dirties... 

Totally agree with this.

I am not sure about all the negativity on here this morning and can only presume it is unduly influenced by what people were hearing from the Sky commentators last night. I haven't watched the match back yet so my thoughts are only based on what I saw at the match.

You have to give credit to Clement for his game plan. It was a big game for us because of all the Lampard hype but it was a big game for Clement too - against a former club where it didn't end well. 

I think the defence's performance first half was shaky but you could say that of the whole team. And Reading's press was making everyone a little more nervous than they already were. The players really wanted to do well for Lampard and the tension of that showed. I did however, see us trying to do the things we did better against Wolves and Southampton, but them not quite coming off. As always, you get a little more time to play football against other footballing sides. That doesn't always apply in the Championship.

The improvement second half was visible - players relaxed a bit more, Reading started to run out of energy and the players had obviously been told to get on the front foot more. I also think the noise from our fans when attacking our end helped. 

You can see the quality we have in the forward positions,  even without an established first choice striker so attack should be our default option.

The trouble is that if we do this it will probably lead to more games where we will look vulnerable defensively.

After the really strong voices over the close season saying that we don't mind this and want to see more exciting games even if we don't win so many as we did under Rowett ball,  I am a bit concerned that one game in, all that seems to have been forgotten by some.

We wanted excitement, and we got it. It was a perfect script in the Frank Lampard story , played out in intense heat under the scorching glare of the Sky cameras. Frankie's dream team looking unlikely, going behind and then coming back to win with a goal in the last seconds. What drama! 

5 hours ago, irobinson said:

Tell you what I was amazed by our centre half performance last night - surely a better team would have punished us 3/4 times over!!

If I was FL I would be showing that video footage to them and say WTF!! Astonishing!!

Keogh looked like he had never played football at all in his life for about 25 minutes....my hand was in my mouth...thought he might pull him off he was so bad

Be interesting to hear everyones else thoughts....but my investment after that performance would be a new centre half - not up top...we are doing alright there...thought Mason was excellent when he came on.

I think that may be a reason for our No/5 shirt not being allocated to a squad member..... yet

It was without doubt an extremely nervous performance by the whole 11 in the first half to be fair though. 

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, they were awful mistakes that shouldn't be happening. You just said he was trying to force the passes in the first half and I disagreed. In the first half all he did was keep it simple and the mistakes came from simple passes. In the second half he was trying to force passes a lot more (as well as go long on occasions as you've mentioned) and more often than not the pass would be a success. I might be wrong, but I put that down to the movement of players ahead of him which left little gaps for him to threat passes through

I do think that was probably the worst performance I’ve seen from Ledley in a rams shirt tbh but he wasn’t alone a few underperformed but I’d still take this style every day of the week after being bored to death by hoofball last season ...I’m not sure we can always play433 away but nice to see that whatever the coaching team said at HT it had an effect 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Totally agree with this.

I am not sure about all the negativity on here this morning and can only presume it is unduly influenced by what people were hearing from the Sky commentators last night. I haven't watched the match back yet so my thoughts are only based on what I saw at the match.

You have to give credit to Clement for his game plan. It was a big game for us because of all the Lampard hype but it was a big game for Clement too - against a former club where it didn't end well. 

I think the defence's performance first half was shaky but you could say that of the whole team. And Reading's press was making everyone a little more nervous than they already were. The players really wanted to do well for Lampard and the tension of that showed. I did however, see us trying to do the things we did better against Wolves and Southampton, but them not quite coming off. As always, you get a little more time to play football against other footballing sides. That doesn't always apply in the Championship.

The improvement second half was visible - players relaxed a bit more, Reading started to run out of energy and the players had obviously been told to get on the front foot more. I also think the noise from our fans when attacking our end helped. 

You can see the quality we have in the forward positions,  even without an established first choice striker so attack should be our default option.

The trouble is that if we do this it will probably lead to more games where we will look vulnerable defensively.

After the really strong voices over the close season saying that we don't mind this and want to see more exciting games even if we don't win so many as we did under Rowett ball,  I am a bit concerned that one game in, all that seems to have been forgotten by some.

We wanted excitement, and we got it. It was a perfect script in the Frank Lampard story , played out in intense heat under the scorching glare of the Sky cameras. Frankie's dream team looking unlikely, going behind and then coming back to win with a goal in the last seconds. What drama! 

Agree totally @angieram I too haven’t seen it back yet either. 

That second half performance was much better and the confidence grew after the equaliser. 

The atmosphere in our end last night was exceptional, even when we went 1 down we stood strong and fired the boys up. 

It was great to see both Nuge and Frank start the bounce at the end too. 

The spirit in the Rams camp is looking at an all time high. Looking forward to the rest of the season ????

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Totally agree with this.

Ignore them. It was fantastic.

despite some first half problems, there are so many positives. We corrected the problems and we were on top when they scored. We came back. We played football how it should be played. We showed ambition and reaped the rewards with a truly memorable winning goal.

it was fantastic. Plenty of time to grease the cogs. 

One thing that frustrated me no end last night was Everytime Keogh somehow failed to make a 2 yard pass he’d start berating others. 

Davies on the other hand was apologetic straight away, seen Keogh do this a lot before, used to hammer Christie all the time 

2 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Its just Keogh being Keogh, brilliant for 3 or 4 games then has a mare for 20 mins then brilliant again.

I think overall he deserves to keep his place because when he's good he's very good.

Spot on. Everybody's having a go because he passed directly to one of their players 3 times in the first 18 minutes. What about the fact that our first goal came about as a direct result of doing exactly the same thing? Where's the consistency?

Is this the main "Richard Keogh is the worst player ever in the history of world football" thread or just one of the dozen or so subsidiaries for today (there will be more tomorrow)?

5 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Spot on. Everybody's having a go because he passed directly to one of their players 3 times in the first 18 minutes. What about the fact that our first goal came about as a direct result of doing exactly the same thing? Where's the consistency?

Two wrongs don’t make a right, or even 4 wrongs yesterday. I suspect he will be MOTM next week, we just have to except when it goes wrong for him, it’s usually horribly wrong. Over the course of the season he will save us 10x the points he will cost us. He just has a nasty knack of saving his fook ups for really important games 

It's ironic because there isn't many better centre backs on the ball in the championship as Keogh. So by that reckoning he should be good in a footballing team.

He had a stinker last night because of mainly a few reasons.

full backs pushing on and leaving them exposed.

No real defensive midfield cover.

Trying to play eye of the needle passes against a team sitting back.

2nd half was much better, I'm sure Frank will be making tweaks for the next game.

Its simple really. stop fannying around.

Get the ball forward. Give it someone who can play.......and if you can't do that, give it to bryson who can.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

The centre halves were truely appalling yesterday, especially first half, but given their performances in the past for us, I’ll put it down to first game nerves. Keogh in particular needs to look and think more when he’s passing mind, there’s a lot of over criticism of him but he’s been guilty of the blind pass in the past and he needs to cut it out. Bringing in new cbs long term will certainly be a priority as neither Davies or Keogh are getting younger, but as it stands this window I’d just look at bringing in better cover than Pearce as I wouldn’t be comfortable with him stepping in if form continued as it did yesterday.

Not sure what frank can do to help to be honest , you can practice in training all you want but you can’t legislate for what happened first half today. Have to hope it doesn’t repeat as playing the high risk game we do, giving the ball away so cheaply all the time under pressure will prove disastrous against stronger teams, and is deterimental to the whole game plan. Certainly a lot for Lampard to mull over after last nights game.

Pearce was flawless last night. Didn't put a foot wrong.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its simple really. stop fannying around.

Get the ball forward. Give it someone who can play.......and if you can't do that, give it to bryson who can.

Hoooffffff.

2 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

It was without doubt an extremely nervous performance by the whole 11 in the first half to be fair though. 

I suppose you could spin this several ways, I was surprised they cared that much for the shirt or frank to be so nervous.  They wanted desperately to play well.  I expect they will settle down and god help the opposition when it clicks

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

One thing that frustrated me no end last night was Everytime Keogh somehow failed to make a 2 yard pass he’d start berating others. 

Davies on the other hand was apologetic straight away, seen Keogh do this a lot before, used to hammer Christie all the time 

Some things never change then. Didn’t watch the match but sky highlights had the line “another mistake from Keogh...”

mind you I reckon he does more good than bad but it’s the bad that sticks in your mind

Archived