Centre Half Video Nasty

irobinson

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s Keogh’s fault that he’s man marked because the only defender capable of playing from the back? 

He had acres of space on many occasions against reading and he is worse on the ball than lowe , and if there is no options you play a long ball for the strikers and wingers to chase not play a perfect pass to the opposition striker.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Keogh is a top championship defender, but he's just that. Not a premier league defender, and not a £25 million defender. 

Exactly this and you can’t fault him for it. Perhaps some of the criticism he gets on the forum is harsh but at the end of the day I just don’t think he will be good enough for Frank. Time will tell. 

On 04/08/2018 at 06:44, irobinson said:

Tell you what I was amazed by our centre half performance last night - surely a better team would have punished us 3/4 times over!!

If I was FL I would be showing that video footage to them and say WTF!! Astonishing!!

Keogh looked like he had never played football at all in his life for about 25 minutes....my hand was in my mouth...thought he might pull him off he was so bad

Be interesting to hear everyones else thoughts....but my investment after that performance would be a new centre half - not up top...we are doing alright there...thought Mason was excellent when he came on.

Surely that would only be rewarding an erratic performance! A dangerous precedent for FL to set this early in his managerial career.

Keogh will be Keogh, there will be the odd poor performance, with misplaced passes and some panicky moments. But there will be plenty of other games where he will be man of the match and we'll wonder how we would manage without him and his 100% commitment.  We've all seen this before.

11 minutes ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

He had acres of space on many occasions against reading and he is worse on the ball than lowe , and if there is no options you play a long ball for the strikers and wingers to chase not play a perfect pass to the opposition striker.

Acres of space ??

They were literally set up to force us into letting Davies have the ball

Just now, cannable said:

Acres of space ??

They we’re literally set up to force us into letting Davies have the ball

If your half decent on the ball it doesn't matter if someone tries to press you , you either pass quickly to the full back  or launch it up the field towards the striker, no matter how much pressure is applied you cant be making passes straight to their strikers feet.

18 minutes ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

Keogh was miles worse than the other 3 defenders and he is miles worse as a player than davies. I think Lampard knows we could do a lot better than Keogh we just cant go out and spend big fees on centre backs and Keogh will be on a high wage making it difficult to get rid of him. Rowett didn't necessarily rate him highly as he dropped him for Pearce at one point, its just that he prioritised investing our transfer funds in other positions so we dont have any one to come in who could do much better. If you asked managers of clubs like Middlesbrough , West Brom, Leeds, Swansea, stoke if they would want Keogh I think we know what the answer would be.

No you don't - you haven't a clue what they would want. What have John Terry, John Stones, etc  etc etc have in common? They've all been dropped at some point in their careers - name me one modern day player who hasn't.

I think we're going to have a lot of the same problems Fulham had last year. Managers will set their sides up to press and mark Keogh out of the game because he's our distributor back there. It's when Davies is seeing a lot of the ball that you should get really worried.

This system of Frank's would work so well if we had two ball-playing central defenders. 

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

No you don't - you haven't a clue what they would want. What have John Terry, John Stones, etc  etc etc have in common? They've all been dropped at some point in their careers - name me one modern day player who hasn't.

I think most people know that if you want promotion you want a solid defender who knows when to hoof it and does n't make 5 league 2 standard performances every season that will cost you.

3 hours ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

We need to get rid of Keogh, but the problem is we haven't got the money in todays market to sign someone who is much better at the moment unless we take a risk and sign someone from the SPL or Ligue 1 or some other foreign league. Keoghs not bad most of the time but hes not consistent enough if you are looking to get automatic promotion or have a strong chance of winning the play offs.  We would need to spend about 6 mill  + to replace him and wed have to quickly shift out either Keogh or pearce or the wage bill would get too high. If we selled  vydra and loaned out anya , blackman and Jerome id be looking at signing a centre back instead of Waghorn and keep martin as  an option.  Weve got enough quality upfront as it is but Keoghs lacks of composure, football brain and top defensive instincts( hoof it out rather than F about)  is a big part of our annual season collapse.

Stopped reading when I got to this

21 hours ago, angieram said:

How many goals did we actually concede last night as a result of Keogh mistakes? I must have missed them celebrating our win. 

We were very fortunate not to concede in the first half. For a professional player with over 400 games under his belt Keogh was an embarrassment in the first half. He clearly can't play the role Kevin MacDonald plays at Fulham. There was no strategy or method in building from the back and the ball was transferred too slowly from back to front. In addition there was no width to the side with Wilson insisting on coming inside and neither full back pushing forward. The win was pleasing but a better side would have been out of sight against us in the first half. Lampard definitely played his get out of jail card.

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

We were very fortunate not to concede in the first half. For a professional player with over 400 games under his belt Keogh was an embarrassment in the first half. He clearly can't play the role Kevin MacDonald plays at Fulham. There was no strategy or method in building from the back and the ball was transferred too slowly from back to front. In addition there was no width to the side with Wilson insisting on coming inside and neither full back pushing forward. The win was pleasing but a better side would have been out of sight against us in the first half. Lampard definitely played his get out of jail card.

He isn’t being picked to play the Kevin McDonald role.  McDonald plays holding for Fulham in front of the back four.

41 minutes ago, Bigfella said:

Stopped reading when I got to this

I 'm a fan of vydra hence my name, he was our best player last season and his finishing is great BUT he wont start once marriot gets fit enough to play as he is not alone striker  why keep him on the bench? If we could improve the squad by selling him?

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He isn’t being picked to play the Kevin McDonald role.  McDonald plays holding for Fulham in front of the back four.

MacDonald doesn't always play the holding role. It is usually Cairney. But MacDonald is a centre half who can pass the ball. Keogh treated the ball on Friday night as though it was a hand grenade and was Reading's best forward in the first half.

12 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Someone who talks sense, jozefoon needs to start over Wilson  because two wingers who dont cross and cut inside all the time clearly is unbalanced and doesn't work, we will be a better team with either Wilson on the left and jozeffon on the right or Lawrence on the left and jozefoon on the right.

1 minute ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

Someone who talks sense, jozefoon needs to start over Wilson  because two wingers who dont cross and cut inside all the time clearly is unbalanced and doesn't work, we will be a better team with either Wilson on the left and jozeffon on the right or Lawrence on the left and jozefoon on the right.

I know that Wilson had a good chance in the second half which was well saved by their keeper but otherwise he looked like a headless chicken constantly overrunning the ball and failing to use the width on the pitch. I was surprised that Josefzoon didn't replace him and bet Josefzoon was wondering what he had to do to get on the pitch. In fact our best winger was Bennett with a great run and cross for the second goal.

What was interesting was what we were trying to do and how we were changing our play, rather than when it didn't work. Anyone can play the ball slowly from side to side across the back. The dangerous ball in modern football is the one threaded forward through the opposition's mmidfield or defence and it's this that changes the game. Terrific that Lamopard wants to play this way and great our defenders are up for doing it, when it can mean being brave.

Of course it takes practice and won't always work, and there will always be moaners who don't see the bigger p[icture, but if we persevere then it offers a new route to attack the oppositionin ways they're not used to defending against.

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I know that Wilson had a good chance in the second half which was well saved by their keeper but otherwise he looked like a headless chicken constantly overrunning the ball and failing to use the width on the pitch. I was surprised that Josefzoon didn't replace him and bet Josefzoon was wondering what he had to do to get on the pitch. In fact our best winger was Bennett with a great run and cross for the second goal.

Let’s hope we can see more of this from Bennett! He seems to have turned into a tank and pacey and likes to run at players which often frightens the defence. I know the first half on Friday wasn’t great but those 3pts could be the difference between 3rd and 2nd come the end of the season. I bet Frank has an even bigger headache on which team to select on Saturday considering what we saw on Friday. 

17 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

MacDonald doesn't always play the holding role. It is usually Cairney. But MacDonald is a centre half who can pass the ball. Keogh treated the ball on Friday night as though it was a hand grenade and was Reading's best forward in the first half.

You are typing rubbish. I follow Fulham closely because they are my son’s team, and McDonald has probably never ever played at centre back. Cairney never plays holding either - he and Johansen play in front of McDonald. Carry on slagging off Keogh if you like, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but be sure on matters you state as fact.

Archived