People abroad who have heard about Derby County Vol 2

sage

In a Venice restaurant tonight, sat next to a Danish bloke in his mid 60s, who when I told him where I'm from said 'you must be Derby County fans. What players Roy McFarland and Colin Todd were'.

We had a lovely chat until he said his English team were QPR Though he admitted we were robbed at Wembley.

He remembered watching Derby v QPR in the 90s at the BBG.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Vol 1, if you remember, the Ram was recognised by a guy in a fish bar near the wharf in San Francisco in early June

Well, went to Maastricht and Liege at the end of Jun and not a bloody sniff! Most disappointing.

Off to the Dordogne on Sunday for 2 weeks, we'll see what happens there.

Visited New York about 10 years ago, went to the Empire State Building wearing my Derby shirt. Got to the shop on the top floor and the guy manning it recognised the shirt. “Derby County! Nice” he said. I was fascinated at the time that someone so far away would instantly recognise the shirt.

Also had a similar experience in Mallorca in April, a Spanish guy working in the restaurant at the hotel recognised the shirt and sparked up conversation about Derby. 

??

4 minutes ago, Lander said:

Visited New York about 10 years ago, went to the Empire State Building wearing my Derby shirt. Got to the shop on the top floor and the guy manning it recognised the shirt. “Derby County! Nice” he said. I was fascinated at the time that someone so far away would instantly recognise the shirt.

Also had a similar experience in Mallorca in April, a Spanish guy working in the restaurant at the hotel recognised the shirt and sparked up conversation about Derby. 

??

If you go back and find Volume 1 you will find an eerily familiar NY tale.

link to Vol1 - 

Many moons ago I was in Indianapolis and the taxi ride started with this apparently surly  bearded driver. He asked "where to?" in a very accented voice. Then asked "Where you from?"

"Derby"

"You go football?"

"Derby  county" says I

Suddenely he changed completely. told me his life story (Iranian immigrant) and spent the rest of the journey telling me why ArchieGemmill was the best player the world has ever seen.

53 minutes ago, Lander said:

??

when i was in NYC last year saw an american kid on the subway wearing that season's derby 3rd shirt.

We spread the good word of Derby County whenever our Scouting friends from the US are over, or we are over there. Went to a pre-season friendly with a chunk of them last season, and took our hosted friend on a stadium tour.

Going back in a couple of weeks, taking my flag again, and raided the club shop yesterday for gifts for our host family.

I live in a small town just outside of Brisbane and was getting a beer at the local hotel earlier this year when the young bar man asked if the shirt I was wearing was a Derby County shirt. Told him he was the first person around here that recognised it. Then the ...hole spoilt it by asking whether I supported a real team as well!

20 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

I live in a small town just outside of Brisbane and was getting a beer at the local hotel earlier this year when the young bar man asked if the shirt I was wearing was a Derby County shirt. Told him he was the first person around here that recognised it. Then the ...hole spoilt it by asking whether I supported a real team as well!

Have they found his body yet?

We went to New York in 2013 and stopped at a bar called O'Reillys. One waiter asked if we were from England and asked who we supported. We said Derby County. He asked us "how good are they" and me and my dad said  that we were "a good team and were just finding it hard In the championship but should be a prem team". Another waiter overheard this and came back with "Derby County! you've had no success since Clough-Taylor and Smith eras" and he just walked on. We stood there amazed that he knew that much about the club for saying he was an American.....

We also hung a DCFC shirt up in the bar. If you're ever in NYC give it a go lovely place with lots of sports memorabilia from different places and fans....

Went to Vegas this June and a taxi driver knew a fair bit about us (the 11 points inparticually). Knew about our success in the 70s and that we used to be half decent once upon a time.

id imagine we’d have a wider audience now Lampard here, the Chelsea flock are already on board. 

Went to Papa New Guinea in the early 90s. Was in a remote village, having a mooch at a local market and we came across young blind boy and his father.

I was wearing my barcde Bukta shirt, and the young boy, felt the ram on my chest. "DERBY COUNTY" he shouts.

Amazed, we said yes how did you know, and he said "Matt Carbon better than Pele" and we all began to talk about football.

The young boy recited 91 of the 92 league clubs off by heart. The only one he didn't know? Notts Forest!

That young boy grew up to be George Boyd.

Makes u think.

Me and Hilda wa at' Daytona Beach couple o years back when her legs wa working. Im going back to mi Car and a guy who was parking his car ...Afro american i think the term is... said ta me ...aye up Owd miner ,,,, are tha from England??? In an american accent of course. 

I said aye lad.. He said  does tha like Soccer..... I said if you mean association football then yes...  he replied he liked ta keep an eye on the soccer scene in the Uk....i asked him his favourite team..... and this is where it all goes pear shaped..... he sez he favourite team wa .f...fo.....forest. At this point i wa gonna give him mi parking ticket as it still had some time left but i ripped it up...got in mer car and went ta Wendys... Owd Hilda sed i wa like a bear wi a sore head. 

Come from a small village in France and whoever knows about football in the place know about the Rams, they got no choice.

The year of our fateful season in the Prem we arrived at passport control in Bali at easter, officer looks at our passports sees Derby says:

aaahhh Derby County!  .....pause....Not very good!

A few weeks back on a beach in Dominican Republic I sat with a depressed Real Madrid fan to watch Spain V Russia and he asks me who I support...  "oh yes we loaned you a young player (Omar) not good enough for us", which is fair enough! 

His mood improved slightly when he found out that my season ticket is about the same price as his and if he wanted to watch one of the big teams in London he'd have to pay double what he was paying...

On 22/07/2018 at 21:38, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Every footy fan in the UAE has now heard of Derby - the Lampard effect is in full swing!!! Sadly this wasn’t the case before ? I have tried my best to promote DCFC though!!! 

Is the football still being shown in The (British) Club in Abu Dhabi? How many screens have they got now, as I think there must have been at least six in the lounge bar alone?

Had many, many good nights there as I was working in AUH airport from 1997 to 2003 before moving up to Dubai.

Archived