Mason Bennett

Ellafella

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

7 years of being on the fringe of the first team is a long time in football.

7 years isn't being exactly fair though, he had just turned 15 when he made his debut and wasn't allowed out the house past 8pm, was he really on the fringes of the first team squad or did Nigel perhaps rush him through a little too early?

You don't see many players that age breaking through and straight into the first team week in week out, even 16 and 17 year olds are few and far between.

Had he not been given that debut so early and kept in the sanctuary of the U23s until recently, he's a player that many would be looking forward to seeing more of. 

Saying that we are at the point now of he needs to show he's capable of playing at this level and staying fit, important season in his career to see which way he goes.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sparkle said:

Apart from the fact that we had no players and we used him at fifteen then he returned to the junior ranks and when sent out on loan he got injured a lot, in my mind one good season with us and he is worth millions of pounds to us 

100%! He has all the physical attributes to be a top winger at this level. Powerful runner and good with the ball. Just needs to produce regularly and he could be really good for us. But how much longer do we persist with him without him delivering?

21 minutes ago, David said:

7 years isn't being exactly fair though, he had just turned 15 when he made his debut and wasn't allowed out the house past 8pm, was he really on the fringes of the first team squad or did Nigel perhaps rush him through a little too early?

Came in when we had a fairly average team sitting comfortably mid-table - Worth a punt at that point and Hughes was storming through so why not try him?

Since then we've consistently had enough senior wingers/forwards ahead of ANY of the youngsters - And have been consistently challenging at the top end where most managers have been nervous to take a risk on him

We're now finally in a position where we're desperately short of senior wingers and the manager has a chance to try out the guys who've been performing well there for the u23s - Including Bennett - Who is still eligible for the u23s for another year - Not sure why some people have written off a guy who's still only 22

Seems like a fairly natural progression to the first team to me...

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

100%! He has all the physical attributes to be a top winger at this level. Powerful runner and good with the ball. Just needs to produce regularly and he could be really good for us. But how much longer do we persist with him without him delivering?

Good with the ball? That for me is where the question mark remains.

No doubting his speed and strength, so it must be the technical side of his game holding him back.

3 hours ago, David said:

You don't see many players that age breaking through and straight into the first team week in week out, even 16 and 17 year olds are few and far between.

Had he not been given that debut so early and kept in the sanctuary of the U23s until recently, he's a player that many would be looking forward to seeing more of. 

Saying that we are at the point now of he needs to show he's capable of playing at this level and staying fit, important season in his career to see which way he goes.

Totally agree, I always use Zanzala as an example. He is 4 months younger than Bennett yet quite a few were looking forward to him making the step up. 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good with the ball? That for me is where the question mark remains.

No doubting his speed and strength, so it must be the technical side of his game holding him back.

He seems quite good technically to me, it's his decision making that lets him down. He's fine when playing on instinct but struggles when he has time to think.

Bennett reminds me of Weimann, but with a lot more potential - unfortunately he seems to breakdown a lot and that’s stopped his progression more than anything else. McClaren in his first spell here seemed to like him, but he never stayed fit enough to clock up the miles that would have seen him kick on.

I’m confident he could refine his game, given the playing time. 

6 hours ago, David said:

All very good points. In a way MB has been a victim of his own success; my point about his physique is that perhaps his proclivity to be injured is understandable given his age {Will Hughes, Max Lowe have had similar “spells”} but now he’s 22 maybe he’s at the point where his body has habituated to the extreme rigours and demands of men’s football. 

But the point is: we are all desperately awaiting “signings” to signal intent from the Club, as is the norm, but we should definitely not overlook Mason: I admit I had almost written him off yet I think he looks like he may be on the threshold and should be given the chance he has worked so hard for. 

And great to hear that Hudd has been a  great mentor of late to Mason: the fact that Mason has a fellow black player who has made it to the very highest level is a great motivator without doubt. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

And great to hear that Hudd has been a  great mentor of late to Mason: the fact that Mason has a fellow black player who has made it to the very highest level is a great motivator without doubt. 

What a really strange comment!

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What a really strange comment!

I don’t think it’s strange. I think you’ll find if you were to ask MB himself that having Hudd to give him advice has been a great help. Why do you think it’s strange? 

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I don’t think it’s strange. I think you’ll find if you were to ask MB himself that having Hudd to give him advice has been a great help. Why do you think it’s strange? 

That a fellow black player making it to the top would provide some motivation to a footballer in the modern game. It's 2018 not 1978.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That a fellow black player making it to the top would provide some motivation to a footballer in the modern game. It's 2018 not 1978.

I liked 1978

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Having a role model is very key to maintaining motivation. The greater the perceived similarity between oneself and our role model the stronger the effect. It’s backed up by psychological research. So it’s based on scientific, empirical research. If you read MB’s pre-season comments about his experience, you’ll understand what he means. The fact it’s 2018 is irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Having a role model is very key to maintaining motivation. The greater the perceived similarity between oneself and our role model the stronger the effect. It’s backed up by psychological research. So it’s based on scientific, empirical research. If you read MB’s pre-season comments about his experience, you’ll understand what he means. The fact it’s 2018 is irrelevant. 

Ok fair comment, not seen MBs comments.

Just a shame Wanchope is not still here because the similarities between him and Bennett would surely spur him on to greatness.

On 15/07/2018 at 09:33, oldtimeram said:

I am 22 today too ?

Congratulations on your 22nd Birthday but how big are your glutus maximi? ?

........... not having a scooby doo what your glutus maximi are I avoided the singular to ensure nothing gets misconstrued 

21 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Congratulations on your 22nd Birthday but how big are your glutus maximi? ?

........... not having a scooby doo what your glutus maximi are I avoided the singular to ensure nothing gets misconstrued 

Buttocks!

Gleutus Maximi in Latin is the plural. Often shortened in everyday parlance to “gleuts”. Ask any footballer or physio. ?

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Aside from Tommy Docherty eh.

19 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I was wondering why I had blacked out 1978. Thanks for reminding me. Back to rehab now

I was wondering why I had blacked out 1978. Thanks for giving me nightmares ?

Archived