Mason Bennett

Ellafella

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hope he comes good this season but just don't see it happening. 

He's showed promise at various stages over the last 5 years but has never really kicked on.

Injuries appear to have hampered him and he hasn't really torn up any trees when on loan in the lower divisions. 

Think this has to be his make or break season with DCFC.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think this has to be his make or break season with DCFC.

He's just had his edit:22nd birthday. I looked on the transfer thread at all the stuff about (£5m for) Jack Marriot, he's 24 this September.

5 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

22nd*

Ta. I misremembered or saw an incorrect tweet. But my point is that he's still young and when compared to similar lower league age players, well who's to say how he will turn out? Got fed up hearing (some) Derby fans go on about how Hughes was 'old' and would never make it, partly because he'd been here growing up. Maybe that's a flaw in the Academy - players get 'under-rated' when compared to other teams youngsters just because of familiarity! All those Chelski youngsters that we're going to loan for instance...

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ta. I misremembered or saw an incorrect tweet. But my point is that he's still young and when compared to similar lower league age players, well who's to say how he will turn out? Got fed up hearing (some) Derby fans go on about how Hughes was 'old' and would never make it, partly because he'd been here growing up. Maybe that's a flaw in the Academy - players get 'under-rated' when compared to other teams youngsters just because of familiarity! All those Chelski youngsters that we're going to loan for instance...

It's a fair question really. Perhaps the Notts County game is not the best metric by which to evaluate the likes of Mason, Timi, Max and Luke but if the reviews are to believed, they put in some of the best performances. I would like to see us bring in a loan or two so that we have cover for the positions where we lack depth but I'm not of the opinion that at least some of our kids can't step up if given the chance. 

45 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's a fair question really. Perhaps the Notts County game is not the best metric by which to evaluate the likes of Mason, Timi, Max and Luke but if the reviews are to believed, they put in some of the best performances. I would like to see us bring in a loan or two so that we have cover for the positions where we lack depth but I'm not of the opinion that at least some of our kids can't step up if given the chance. 

Look...we have a huge level of expertise, experience and knowledge of watching Derby County on this Board. Many of us have 35 years plus and we should trust some of our judgements...Bennet and Thomas looked mustard on Saturday. Ok it’s pre-season and they’re out to impress but impress me they did. If they take that level of performance into the season they both could make significant contributions this year. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Look...we have a huge level of expertise, experience and knowledge of watching Derby County on this Board. Many of us have 35 years plus and we should trust some of our judgements...Bennet and Thomas looked mustard on Saturday. Ok it’s pre-season and they’re out to impress but impress me they did. If they take that level of performance into the season they both could make significant contributions this year. 

Isn't that what I've said buddy? Sorry, rubbish night's kip so a tad fuddled this morning ?

Just now, 86 points said:

Isn't that what I've said buddy? Sorry, rubbish night's kip so a tad fuddled this morning ?

Yes....sorry I wasn’t questioning your point @86 points just making the point that quite often us fans have a better understanding of things than some give us credit for. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Yes....sorry I wasn’t questioning your point @86 points just making the point that quite often us fans have a better understanding of things than some give us credit for. 

Can I exclude myself from this......I'll just go and stand over there in the corner 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Me being thick. I re-read my post three times to check I'd written what I meant to LOL. I'm off to get an industrial size and strength coffee! 

* now edited this three times too FFS. Going back to bed.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's just had his edit:22nd birthday. I looked on the transfer thread at all the stuff about (£5m for) Jack Marriot, he's 24 this September.

Not sure what your point is?

Marriott  (who I know nothing about) has been playing at lower league level and will have to prove he can do it at Championship level. Anyone remember Liam Dickinson? 

Bennett broke into our first team SEVEN YEARS ago. If he stays fit and is not knocking on the door of the first team this season, in my opinion, he's never likely to make it here.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure what your point is?

Marriott  (who I know nothing about) has been playing at lower league level and will have to prove he can do it at Championship level. Anyone remember Liam Dickinson? 

Bennett broke into our first team SEVEN YEARS ago. If he stays fit and is not knocking on the door of the first team this season, in my opinion, he's never likely to make it here.

The point is Marriot is being touted at £5m (supposedly) he's nearly 24 and only just started scoring in quantity. Bennett is only 22 and has had injuries but is to be binned after this season if he hasn't 'made it here' according to you.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point is Marriot is being touted at £5m (supposedly) he's nearly 24 and only just started scoring in quantity. Bennett is only 22 and has had injuries but is to be binned after this season if he hasn't 'made it here' according to you.

As stated, Marriott has been scoring at lower league level. 

He will be under the spotlight to see if he can cut it at championship level, especially if his fee is £5m. 

At a time when we are supposedly struggling for money, I just think we need to be making decisions about whether our youngsters are good enough to make it here or not. 7 years of being on the fringe of the first team is a long time in football.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

As stated, Marriott has been scoring at lower league level. 

He will be under the spotlight to see if he can cut it at championship level, especially if his fee is £5m. 

At a time when we are supposedly struggling for money, I just think we need to be making decisions about whether our youngsters are good enough to make it here or not. 7 years of being on the fringe of the first team is a long time in football.

7 Years is a massive amount of time in football. Pretty much 1/3rd of his whole career without nailing down a regular position.

4 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

7 Years is a massive amount of time in football. Pretty much 1/3rd of his whole career without nailing down a regular position.

Apart from the fact that we had no players and we used him at fifteen then he returned to the junior ranks and when sent out on loan he got injured a lot, in my mind one good season with us and he is worth millions of pounds to us 

Archived