Mason Bennett

Ellafella

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Wikipedia has both of Vydra's seasons with us under one stat. The season before last (that ended in 2017) he scored 5 goals in 33 appearances.

In 2015/16 he scored 3 goals in 31 appearances for Reading.

Bennett is a poacher and he's never played in a team that regularly puts the ball in the box. Notts County did, hence his 1 goal and 1 assist in 2 games before he got his unlucky injury.

I'm by no means saying start him - I'm not sure any folk are. But he's got talent. Holding past statistics against any player is dangerous, but when the majority of said statistics are from a run in the first team when he was far too young its even more dangerous. He's a perfectly acceptable backup. 

He isn't 15 years old you know.....he is 22, if he hasn't made it by now he never will.

He has played enough games to show that he is not good enough for this level, not good enough to be a squad player, we would be better off just throwing in one of the youngsters in.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He isn't 15 years old you know.....he is 22, if he hasn't made it by now he never will.

He has played enough games to show that he is not good enough for this level, not good enough to be a squad player, we would be better off just throwing in one of the youngsters in.

Well I'm sure, having shown that you are unequivocally correct in your opinion as usual, that Frank will agree and he'll toss Bennett out.

Good chat.

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

How many of the top 6 had a striker who scored that many last season?

1, I believe... us. Grabban got 20, but I think most of them was for Sunderland anyway. 

I'm more than happy to give Bennett the rest of pre-season, unless we sign a striker in the meantime, upfront and let's see what he can do. If he scores 2 or 3 more and he finishes the pre-season campaign as our top goalscorer & for whatever reason we don't sign a striker and Vydra is still here, but 'injured' then he'd have done enough to start the first game IMO. 

At this rate, he'll definitely be in the squad anyway. 

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

what other 22 year old strikers do we have with first team experience??????

Not sure what your point is???????

I was saying we have a lot of strikers in my opinion that have a lot to offer but haven’t really stepped up. ??

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Well I'm sure, having shown that you are unequivocally correct in your opinion as usual, that Frank will agree and he'll toss Bennett out.

Good chat.

If you are so confident in his ability then we can have a thousand pounds on it. I will bet he doesn’t get in to double figures in goals next season for Derby County Football Club first team... want a piece of that...? 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

1, I believe... us. Grabban got 20, but I think most of them was for Sunderland anyway. 

I'm more than happy to give Bennett the rest of pre-season, unless we sign a striker in the meantime, upfront and let's see what he can do. If he scores 2 or 3 more and he finishes the pre-season campaign as our top goalscorer & for whatever reason we don't sign a striker and Vydra is still here, but 'injured' then he'd have done enough to start the first game IMO. 

At this rate, he'll definitely be in the squad anyway. 

I think I'd go with that particularly if Martin and Vydra are firmly out if the picture. There's probably more to be gained by trialling out Bennett there than rolling out Nugent or Jerome, neither of which are likely to lead the line this season. 

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If you are so confident in his ability then we can have a thousand pounds on it. I will bet he doesn’t get in to double figures in goals next season for Derby County Football Club first team... want a piece of that...? 

That’s quite tempting actually. I wouldn’t go for it, cos I don’t gamble and I don’t have a grand. But masons scored 3 in 3 in preseason. Surely getting 10 in 38 games plus cup games is far from impossible, even as second or third choice. 

At the very least I fancy bookmarking thi post and giving myself a good kick when mason scored his tenth. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s quite tempting actually. I wouldn’t go for it, cos I don’t gamble and I don’t have a grand. But masons scored 3 in 3 in preseason. Surely getting 10 in 38 games plus cup games is far from impossible, even as second or third choice. 

At the very least I fancy bookmarking thi post and giving myself a good kick when mason scored his tenth. 

10 in 46

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I would - but I don't play with money. Especially not that much, I'm still a yoof. 

Got something more wholesome to put on it? 

15 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Sorry I just taking the figures off Wikipedia....the same Wikipedia that has Vyrda as scoring 30 goals from 2015- 2017 too....

Obviously cant be trusted.

Bennett is a striker, if we are to go anywhere near the play offs our striker needs to be getting at least 20 goals...on his current run that would mean next season would have to be 267 games long for him to hit that...

Come on you can't on one hand call him a striker, and then slate his goal return when he's played 95% of his career so far on the wing!

7 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Come on you can't on one hand call him a striker, and then slate his goal return when he's played 95% of his career so far on the wing!

Or off the bench for 5 or 6 mins here or there 

15 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

he has scored 6 goals in 80 appearances.....

Whatever way you look at that it is rubbish.

Wikipedia has him down as playing 69 League games and 22 for England so I'm not sure where you pulled 80 from.

Let's break down those 69 games.

35 Championship Games

27 League One Games

7 League Two Games

But, let's look at minutes on the pitch rather than the raw he played, chalk another game up for the lad stat.

756mins Championship

985mins League One

207mins League Two

Which in game time =

8.4 Championship Games

10.9 League One Games

2.3 League Two Games

So in game time, Mason Bennett has played a total of 21.6 games at senior level scoring 4 goals. A goal every 487 minutes he has been on the pitch which is 1 in 5. Not great, but what you need to remember is he has not had a consistent run of games, these minutes have come in over 7 years since turning 15 and he's not always played up front. 

The Premier League 2 we have more data to look at since it was formed, 40 games, 3190 minutes which = 35.4 games and 12 goals. A goal every 265 minutes which is 1 in 3 just about.

And that my Swiss, French, Americano friend with a pool is #stats

Although my instincts say no way, in all honesty if we are requiring our centre forward to chase down, harass and generally give the goalkeeper and central defenders no time for ninety minutes, which we are by having a high press, then certainly Mason seems fit & strong enough do that. If he can also score goals (3 in pre-season so far) well...….who knows?

Bennett 's progress has disappointed at our club and on loan. Maybe lack of a run of games through injury or otherwise could be an excuse. 

But the lad has the attributes of a decent player. He has pace and strength and the ability to find the net. When I've seen him play the odd game in the cup against Premier teams, he's scared their defenders and I remember him playing for England u15s curling in a lovely shot with the outside of his right foot. This showed even at 14, he had that coolness in front of goal, something that other players never get. 

I hope that with an injury free season, the lad will come through. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Wikipedia has him down as playing 69 League games and 22 for England so I'm not sure where you pulled 80 from.

Let's break down those 69 games.

35 Championship Games

27 League One Games

7 League Two Games

But, let's look at minutes on the pitch rather than the raw he played, chalk another game up for the lad stat.

756mins Championship

985mins League One

207mins League Two

Which in game time =

8.4 Championship Games

10.9 League One Games

2.3 League Two Games

So in game time, Mason Bennett has played a total of 21.6 games at senior level scoring 4 goals. A goal every 487 minutes he has been on the pitch which is 1 in 5. Not great, but what you need to remember is he has not had a consistent run of games, these minutes have come in over 7 years since turning 15 and he's not always played up front. 

The Premier League 2 we have more data to look at since it was formed, 40 games, 3190 minutes which = 35.4 games and 12 goals. A goal every 265 minutes which is 1 in 3 just about.

And that my Swiss, French, Americano friend with a pool is #stats

Thanks for that David. I suspected similar. Wanted to tot up the minutes yesterday but I got bored ? 

Archived