Mason Bennett

Ellafella

Mason’s only fault (and it isn’t his fault) was being rushed into the limelight at 15. Great things were expected and they haven’t come to pass (yet).  If he’d had a more ‘normal’ introduction to the first team I expect there would still be significant doubts as he is now of an age where you would expect to see him break through and either stake a claim or move on (ala Vernam).  Nonetheless, his progress has also been stilted by injury so I’m more than happy to keep him around a bit longer to see if the promise can be realised.  I don’t expect him to be our main striker but writing him off just seems a bit churlish.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/07/2018 at 10:59, MuespachRam said:

And I will say nope he shouldn’t be anywhere near it. 

I’m sorry Muespach but I find that an utterly depressing viewpoint. 

What more can the lad do ? He’s been picked in this years’ friendlies and he has delivered, hasnt he ? Each and every time.

Someone has mentioned tap ins. Gary Lineker made a fabulous career of it, don’t knock it. Personally I’m only interested in the ball getting into the back of their net - couldn’t care less how it gets there.

Im sure it’s not intended,  Meuspach,but your view basically says that Frank and his team are clueless in including him in the teams, that you know a lot more about it than them. Do you really think that ?

And there’s another point to be made here. After all that Mason has been through it’s almost astonishing that he is still knocking on the door, seemingly in better shape than ever. That is testament to an incredibly strong character , if ever I saw one. Of course one cannot in any way make a direct comparison, but Harry Kane spent many, many  years kicking around in the lower leagues , with little appreciation, before he became one of the worlds greatest strikers. 

Lets give him support and, if you feel that way,  the benefit of doubt,  shall we ? After all, it’s in all our interests that it works for Mason.

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I think one of the issues is that he isn't young....he is 22 and still hasn't made any impact at all

Most players don't break through until they are 21-23.

29 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

I’m sorry Muespach but I find that an utterly depressing viewpoint. 

What more can the lad do ? He’s been picked in this years’ friendlies and he has delivered, hasnt he ? Each and every time.

Someone has mentioned tap ins. Gary Lineker made a fabulous career of it, don’t knock it. Personally I’m only interested in the ball getting into the back of their net - couldn’t care less how it gets there.

Im sure it’s not intended,  Meuspach,but your view basically says that Frank and his team are clueless in including him in the teams, that you know a lot more about it than them. Do you really think that ?

And there’s another point to be made here. After all that Mason has been through it’s almost astonishing that he is still knocking on the door, seemingly in better shape than ever. That is testament to an incredibly strong character , if ever I saw one. Of course one cannot in any way make a direct comparison, but Harry Kane spent many, many  years kicking around in the lower leagues , with little appreciation, before he became one of the worlds greatest strikers. 

Lets give him support and, if you feel that way,  the benefit of doubt,  shall we ? After all, it’s in all our interests that it works for Mason.

Do you recall there were plenty of times last season the ball ran free in the opponent's area and there was no-one running in to get on to it?

Watch Mason's goal on Saturday. He was moving straight away, aware that if the ball was parried or mis-hit, he would be first there. And he was. 

He gives us something different and I hope he gets his chance this year.  

Archived