Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

It’s really odd how different I feel about the season now, compared to how I did 2 months ago. Rowett gone. Lampard in. Style of play rejuvenated. Squad looking more exciting than it has in years. Loving it ?

I just love the number that Mel did on the Snake. 

"No Gary, there's no money blah blah, you'll have to sell players blah blah...."

Mel played a blinder, not only getting rid of the boring b@$t@rd, but getting a couple of million quid in the process. Bravo Melvyn, bravo.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I just love the number that Mel did on the Snake. 

"No Gary, there's no money blah blah, you'll have to sell players blah blah...."

Mel played a blinder, not only getting rid of the boring b@$t@rd, but getting a couple of million quid in the process. Bravo Melvyn, bravo.

There is money - but only if we sell to buy it appears . 13.1 mil raised in transfers + 2 mil for rowett and probably 2.5 mil from Inces sale I assume as he's left Huddersfield. That's 17.6 million .  We've spent 5.7-6.7 so far depending on what report you believe with maybe another 1 mil tied in to Marriotts transfer .  I imagine there may be a loan fee for mount and Wilson - lets say 1.5 at the extreme = 9.2 mil used .  This indicates we have the 8 million required to sign Waghorn if that's whats needed.

or Perhaps we could have kept Vydra, made up the 2- 2.5 million elsewhere and had forward line to terrify the division

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is money - but only if we sell to buy it appears . 13.1 mil raised in transfers + 2 mil for rowett and probably 2.5 mil from Inces sale I assume as he's left Huddersfield. That's 17.6 million .  We've spent 5.7-6.7 so far depending on what report you believe with maybe another 1 mil tied in to Marriotts transfer .  I imagine there may be a loan fee for mount and Wilson - lets say 1.5 at the extreme = 9.2 mil used .  This indicates we have the 8 million required to sign Waghorn if that's whats needed.

or Perhaps we could have kept Vydra, made up the 2- 2.5 million elsewhere and had forward line to terrify the division

Genuine question, where do you fit Vydra? 

Unless Pre season has been for nothing this season will be playing a 4-3-3. Vydra was pretty useless up front and on the wing, he doesn't have the defensive qualities to play midfield. 

No matter what way you look at him he simply cannot fit the system we have now. 

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Genuine question, where do you fit Vydra? 

Unless Pre season has been for nothing this season will be playing a 4-3-3. Vydra was pretty useless up front and on the wing, he doesn't have the defensive qualities to play midfield. 

No matter what way you look at him he simply cannot fit the system we have now. 

Completely agree, but very few people understand. You cannot turn a #10 into a 9, 7 and 11 and expect him to be the same player. As we’ve seen with vydra he is useless as a 9 or on the wing. He doesn’t fit our new system. We need to move on and cash in whilst we can. 

Waghorn's stats from last season are excellent, but we all saw from Lawrence how easy it is to look good for Ipswich and yet not very good in a better team. 

No issue in bringing him on board, but £8 million for a 27-year-old who has had as many average seasons as he has good? Has a touch of the Johnson/Butterfields to me. 

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Waghorn's stats from last season are excellent, but we all saw from Lawrence how easy it is to look good for Ipswich and yet not very good in a better team. 

No issue in bringing him on board, but £8 million for a 27-year-old who has had as many average seasons as he has good? Has a touch of the Johnson/Butterfields to me. 

Tbh, Lawrence was shackled last season by snakey, playing in a defense minded team, playing boring dull football. 

Clearly this season the shackles are off and I know it's only pre season but already i'm liking the look of him.

I've always liked Waghorn and he always seems to do well whenever I have seen him. Is he worth 8m, no not imo but again I think it's all paper talk regards the fee and if we do sign him I think it'll be closer to 3-4m.

31 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Tbh, Lawrence was shackled last season by snakey, playing in a defense minded team, playing boring dull football. 

Clearly this season the shackles are off and I know it's only pre season but already i'm liking the look of him.

I've always liked Waghorn and he always seems to do well whenever I have seen him. Is he worth 8m, no not imo but again I think it's all paper talk regards the fee and if we do sign him I think it'll be closer to 3-4m.

Which would be a fair fee. I agree that his direct running style would seem to suit what we are trying to do this season. If he comes in we'll look stronger on the flanks than we have for quite a few years.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We didn't get anything additional from the Ince sale, no sell on clause and there was no money made by Huders on the sale....

37 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The thing that I really like about Lampard is that he is buying players to suit a system. This year we will be playing a 4-3-3 high pressing game. Waghorn and Marriott are known for their running and tenacity Which bodes well for the upcoming season. 

Will Waggers and Marriott play in the same team or will it be one or the other up top in a 433? Surely Wilson and Lawrence will play??

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Will Waggers and Marriott play in the same team or will it be one or the other up top in a 433? Surely Wilson and Lawrence will play??

Waghorn’s goals came from wide right coming in on his left 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think he will lead the line but is an option to move him wide and use marriot up too at times. 

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That would be the beauty of signing Waghorn - he's equally at home down the middle or on one of the forward flanks.

If we're playing 4-3-3 then swapping Vydra for Marriott & Waghorn is a no brainer.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That would be the beauty of signing Waghorn - he's equally at home down the middle or on one of the forward flanks.

If we're playing 4-3-3 then swapping Vydra for Marriott & Waghorn is a no brainer.

Yep, but who will miss out in the attacking 3, Wilson, Marriott, Waghorn or Lawrence......4 in to 3 won't go???

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yep, but who will miss out in the attacking 3, Wilson, Marriott, Waghorn or Lawrence......4 in to 3 won't go???

This is what’s in my head.... Jozefzoon isn’t getting a sniff at this rate!

3 at the back?

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

It’s been stated since it won’t be £8m but £4m. 

Archived