Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sturridge went to Torquay on loan for two months and we got Trollope the intention being a swap.  Sturridge made the most of his loan spell and made Roy Mac think again by getting 5 goals in 5 starts and creating a load more with his pace.  Bennetts had 30 plus games at the same level and got 2 goals. Sturridge was 2 years a professional at the time, Mason Bennett's been here 6 years as a professional( albeit he missed a year with injury).  He may prove better this year than in the past but I can't see him getting 20 league goals per year at this level like Sturridge .

I touched on this in the Southampton match thread...

bennett was pushed into the limelight far too soon, he should have been left to play through the youth levels to develop, both physically and his game. 

How many of his 30 plus games did he play as a centre forward? When did he ever have an extended run of games? Whether that be injury or just not being played. 

His game at youth level was a lot to do with his power and strength, to expect a teenage kid to step up to senior level and show that against men was foolish. He’s not a kid anymore, so now is when I think we will see if he’s the player people thought he would be. 20 goals a season? I don’t know. He’s not had a chance to play the number of games in one season as a striker to prove anything yet.

of course he does need to get through a good number of games without getting injured.

I think we will still sign Marriott, but it’s good to see Bennett pushing for a place in the team.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sturridge went to Torquay on loan for two months and we got Trollope the intention being a swap.  Sturridge made the most of his loan spell and made Roy Mac think again by getting 5 goals in 5 starts and creating a load more with his pace.  Bennetts had 30 plus games at the same level and got 2 goals. Sturridge was 2 years a professional at the time, Mason Bennett's been here 6 years as a professional( albeit he missed a year with injury).  He may prove better this year than in the past but I can't see him getting 20 league goals per year at this level like Sturridge .

If you're going too mention the 2 years vs 6 years as a professional, then you also need to mention age. Sturridge was 21 when he went to Torquay I think (dob July 73 and he went to Torquay in the 94/95 season)

What were Sturridge's stats before he was a 21 year old?

It's so difficult to compare, but I do remember thinking Sturridge would never make it after his early years with us, then it just clicked. 

2 minutes ago, ck- said:

If you're going too mention the 2 years vs 6 years as a professional, then you also need to mention age. Sturridge was 21 when he went to Torquay I think (dob July 73 and he went to Torquay in the 94/95 season)

What were Sturridge's stats before he was a 21 year old?

It's so difficult to compare, but I do remember thinking Sturridge would never make it after his early years with us, then it just clicked. 

God I remember that 

he came back literally a changed player, there was more

control and a composure to his game, I don’t know what they did to his game but it worked 

I forget the managers name of Torquay at the time even though it’s on the tip of my tongue but we owe him a pint or two 

sturrdge came back full of confidence and quite frankly electric 

as u say who knows maybe a confident mason Bennett played in his preferred position could ... could do something similar 

that’s what so special about football... u just never know 

16 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Nugent was really good today. Worked his backside off and I think he suits this pressing style down to the ground 

Don't disagree with you very often but with Wilson, Jozefzoon, Lawrence etc around him, he looked slightly slow yesterday. I thought this was exemplified when Lowe played that sublime ball over the top to him at the end of the 1st half, and even Nugent himself seemed to know he lacked the pace to properly finish the chance so he rushed it and scooped it over the bar. 

Think he's a great striker and personality to have at the club, but I'd be worried if he was our first choice striker

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

God I remember that 

he came back literally a changed player, there was more

control and a composure to his game, I don’t know what they did to his game but it worked 

I forget the managers name of Torquay at the time even though it’s on the tip of my tongue but we owe him a pint or two 

sturrdge came back full of confidence and quite frankly electric 

Roy Mac I believe.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Don't disagree with you very often but with Wilson, Jozefzoon, Lawrence etc around him, he looked slightly slow yesterday. I thought this was exemplified when Lowe played that sublime ball over the top to him at the end of the 1st half, and even Nugent himself seemed to know he lacked the pace to properly finish the chance so he rushed it and scooped it over the bar. 

Think he's a great striker and personality to have at the club, but I'd be worried if he was our first choice striker

Agree with everything here. I love Nuge, he's been a great pro, but I think we need a young dynamic cf now and have Bennett as backup. It's ok having him chase down the ball all game, that's fine but we need a cf who's going to score 15-20 a season if we want promotion. Nuge and Jerome won't do that imo.

39 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Agree with everything here. I love Nuge, he's been a great pro, but I think we need a young dynamic cf now and have Bennett as backup. It's ok having him chase down the ball all game, that's fine but we need a cf who's going to score 15-20 a season if we want promotion. Nuge and Jerome won't do that imo.

I'm not even sure we need a ''20 goal a season'' striker per se, just one that better fits the philosophy of this team and compliments the players around him (although don't get me wrong if we get one that can do that and bag 20 goals that's also a massive bonus). 

I was initially a bit apprehensive about Marriott's height, given that our attacking force now isn't exactly a tall one but given the way we played yesterday, I'm not sure this is a massive issue and if Marriott came, I think he'd fit in nicely. 

42 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'm not even sure we need a ''20 goal a season'' striker per se, just one that better fits the philosophy of this team and compliments the players around him (although don't get me wrong if we get one that can do that and bag 20 goals that's also a massive bonus). 

I was initially a bit apprehensive about Marriott's height, given that our attacking force now isn't exactly a tall one but given the way we played yesterday, I'm not sure this is a massive issue and if Marriott came, I think he'd fit in nicely. 

Saunders and Goddard weren’t so tall either, that worked out pretty well I recall ?

12 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Saunders and Goddard weren’t so tall either, that worked out pretty well I recall ?

Too right, think I was still slighly delusional from an over-saturation of Rowettball haha

Based on the traits that team showed yesterday, we're going to be creating more chances on the floor than in the air anyway and if he's got a decent leap, doesn't really matter. Sammon was 6'2 but he was hardly dominant in the air ?

18 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Watching the friendlies so far this pre season, I cannot remember that  there have been that many high balls to the front players, so short players up front should be ok?

There were some and Nuge et al got nowhere near. What would have been the point of playing more?

Archived