Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Marriott hasn't just bagged 33 goals in the league below. And yes the Championship is a big step. But Lampard must be confident this lad can bag 15-20 goals next season.

Not necessarily. Only 9 players in the entire league got in this bracket last season. A third of those didn’t even play for sides in the top 6 (more than a third if you count Grabban’s goals for Sunderland).

I think sometimes it’s easy to think that all you have to do is add 20 goals or so to your previous season’s tally to finish higher, and a striker can do that. It isn’t that simple, nor is there a correlation as strong as you think between possessing these “20-goal-a-season” strikers and finishing in the top 6.

There is a correlation, however, between teams who have multiple players scoring more than 8 goals across the season. It’s also notable how the best teams in the league aren’t reliant on one striker.

Personally, I’d be a disappointed if Lampard’s philosophy was simply signing a striker to get loadsa goals. Maddison is a good fit for Derby if he can play the way Lampard wants, and that doesn’t necessarily mean scoring 15-20 goals if he’s the key to us playing a certain way.

Totally agree on Nugent and Cameron by the way. Absolutely fine to have those guys around the squad and coming off the bench, but they’re not a good Plan A for a serious Championship side any longer.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

It's a job for @Angry Ram........

He'll lead mcanthony up and down the apples and pears, look him in the mince pies before settling on an amount that'll bring a smile to mels boat.

Fight Del with Del I say.....?

I will get on the dog now and  get this sorted.

45 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Won and score a penalty, 2 goals in 1st half. At least he is starting to get some preseason match minutes under his belt

Wont be the long till the Derby telegraph devote a whole back page spread to Marriott's performance today ? 

One of my friends is in portugal and went to the game at Peterborough today and said marriott was immense showed strength and looked quality. I see loads of people on here moaning, about him and they will be the same people moaning when he goes to someone else bangs loads in and then gets sold for double the price for as they say not taking a punt on him as they did with ollie Watkins who because we wouldn't take the risk now is being linked with the prem for over 14 million profit 

19 minutes ago, Mountain Ram said:

Download the Derbyshire Live app - the content may be no better, but at least it’s pop up free!

Thanks but Steve Nicholson’s online posts are just click bait now that Rams TV has stolen his exclusive news and interviews.

when he does his weekly web chat I sometimes send in a question just to amuse myself, he just gives his thoughts with no factual answers.

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

You have to think whether Bennett’s form is making Lampard think twice about spending big money on a forward. He’s playing down the middle here 

He's scored three goals from a combined total of about 12 yards. Right place. Right time. That's good but there's a lot more to being a 9 than 3 pretty lucky goals. 

Good back up but if we've got serious ideas about promotion he cannot be first choice. 

9 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

You have to think whether Bennett’s form is making Lampard think twice about spending big money on a forward. He’s playing down the middle here 

Hope he's more involved and gets chances this season, but I'd feel a lot more confident if we signed a striker like Marriott or Abraham. Bennett has had injury problems throughout his career and Nugent and Jerome aren't what they used to be unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

He's scored three goals from a combined total of about 12 yards. Right place. Right time. That's good but there's a lot more to being a 9 than 3 pretty lucky goals. 

Good back up but if we've got serious ideas about promotion he cannot be first choice. 

The best strikers I ever saw in my life were Jimmy Greaves and Gerd Muller.

I think that if you took their career total of goals (around 880 between them) and laid them from end to end, they probably wouldn't reach nuch more than twice round the outside of Pride Park.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Hope he's more involved and gets chances this season, but I'd feel a lot more confident if we signed a striker like Marriott or Abraham. Bennett has had injury problems throughout his career and Nugent and Jerome aren't what they used to be unfortunately 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jerome has a loan move lined up if he isn’t injured. I’d definitely still like one coming in, but he’s definitely given Lampard a decision to make (Bennett) 

Archived