World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Of course! 

If one journo claims something negative about a Derby player that player gets criticized for it on here for the rest of his career.

Except this said journalist is one of the most reliable out there and has sources all around the world, there must be something in it. See the video I posted above

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sampaoli is an atrocious manager, completely out of his depth. He needed goals, and left Dybala and Higuain on the bench. 

Mbappe looked lethal.

If that truly was his decision of course. In the game the other day against Nigeria , Sampaoli had to ask Messi whether he should bring Aguero on or not. If that’s an indication that Sampaoli doesn’t have total control then I don’t know what is

Just now, McLovin said:

If that truly was his decision of course. In the game the other day against Nigeria , Sampaoli had to ask Messi whether he should bring Aguero on or not. If that’s an indication that Sampaoli doesn’t have total control then I don’t know what is

If he doesn't have full control, then he should have walked. No point in being manager of the team if Messi is calling the shots. 

Never seen a manager more deserving of the inevitable sacking he’s getting than Sampaoli there. Awful, awful tactical setup to play with no target man, and restrict messis ability to play freely. There was no structure at all about argentina and it was made painfully easy for France (tho what a performance by mbappe!). A few on here could have set that Argentina team up better id wager, and that isn’t good news for Argentina given the quality of some of our posts on here?

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

England have done that for years 

Thought it was, and probably should be, standard for top internationals teams 

It isn't, most European countries earn a wage I think

Agree it should be though.

If im wrong then this is clearly not news

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If he doesn't have full control, then he should have walked. No point in being manager of the team if Messi is calling the shots. 

I feel really sorry for Sampaoli. Argentina was his dream job so it would have been very difficult to walk away. 

I imagine many of the senior players called the shots in the team, I have a hard time believing that Sampaoli set up this team the way they played. His Chile and Sevilla sides always played with structure , high intensity and had identity whereas this Argentina side looks like a team full of individuals.

People will say that many of the individuals weren’t good enough but the Chile side didn’t exactly have world beaters all over the team. He had Gary medel at centre back and made Isla look like Dani Alves at his best.

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I feel really sorry for Sampaoli. Argentina was his dream job so it would have been very difficult to walk away. 

I imagine many of the senior players called the shots in the team, I have a hard time believing that Sampaoli set up this team the way they played. His Chile and Sevilla sides always played with structure , high intensity and had identity whereas this Argentina side looks like a team full of individuals.

People will say that many of the individuals weren’t good enough but the Chile side didn’t exactly have world beaters all over the team. He had Gary medel at centre back and made Isla look like Dani Alves at his best.

He’s a ducking ********, telling traffic police how much he earns compared to them when pulled over. 

Argentina’s failure is down to him. He walked in and tried to implement his system when the players weren’t there to enact it.

What Mascherano has done is effectively the same as whoever told Pearson to play 4-3-3 when he had us doing silly balls in. 4-4-2. “We literally can’t play this way gaffer, you have to change it to this.”

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

He’s a ducking ********, telling traffic police how much he earns compared to them when pulled over. 

Argentina’s failure is down to him. He walked in and tried to implement his system when the players weren’t there to enact it.

What Mascherano has done is effectively the same as whoever told Pearson to play 4-3-3 when he had us doing silly balls in. 4-4-2. “We literally can’t play this way gaffer, you have to change it to this.”

If he truly was in charge of this team then I’d agree with you but having followed Sampaoli throughout his career, I have my doubts that he did pick this team and the way they played is a complete contrast to what he usually makes his team play.

Even the BBC were joking around by saying that Messi should make a sub.

26 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Except this said journalist is one of the most reliable out there and has sources all around the world, there must be something in it. See the video I posted above

And yet other journalists have said that Messi has been urging Barcelona to buy Dybala.  Both stories can't be true.  And there is a good chance neither are. 

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

And yet other journalists have said that Messi has been urging Barcelona to buy Dybala.  Both stories can't be true.  And there is a good chance neither are. 

Which stories suggest that Messi wants Dybala at Barca?

Another one

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/976417/Lionel-Messi-Barcelona-Argentina-World-Cup-Gonzalo-Higuain-Paulo-Dybala-news/amp

Argentina fans are backing their man to bring the trophy home but there is a feeling that the presence of Messi restricts Jorge Sampaoli in his line-up.

But Argentinean journalist Flavio Azzaro claims the issue lies deeper, with Messi stopping other names from being picked out of concern of being usurped.

“Lionel Messi has more power than [Argentina FA president] Claudio Fabia Tapia and Argentina," Flavio told TYC Sports.

For the World Cup, Messi is more important than the national team itself, it means there are no more leaders.

"Do you think that Messi does not form the template? Why is not defenders like Garay?"

"Messi does what he wants, he has been doing what he feels like in Argentina for eight years.

“He does not want high-profile players.”

1 hour ago, froggg said:

Adios Maradonna?, hopefully we won’t have to watch the fat cheating crack head jumping up and down anymore.

Did you know he's in Russia as a FIFA ambassador, and is picking up £10k a day for his troubles?

More excitingly, he's been shadowed by a documentary crew for the last year or so, who are making Diego the final part of their 'Flawed Geniuses' trilogy.

The first two were Senna and Amy, so should be well worth a watch.

Apparently he's already given them the nugget that he was a true professional, in his eyes, because he refused to drink or take Cocaine beyond Weds night if he had a weekend game!

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If he truly was in charge of this team then I’d agree with you but having followed Sampaoli throughout his career, I have my doubts that he did pick this team and the way they played is a complete contrast to what he usually makes his team play.

Even the BBC were joking around by saying that Messi should make a sub.

Reported consistently by various media outlets over the past 12 or 18 months, a simple google search will reveal numerous references to the story.  Never really took much notice of it to be honest, seemed like just paper talk to me.  I don't really believe the story that he doesn't want Dybala to play in the same Argentinian team either though.  Given that Messi position seems to be different for every game, it doesn't really make much sense.  Seems to me like he would appreciate another footballer with good technique that he could build some quick interplay with, like he is used to at Barcelona. 

I think Sampaoli is still picking that team, his game is all about high energy and high tempo, even when not in possession.  Dybala and Messi in the same team would compromise that a significant degree.  Also if Messi was calling the shots Aguero would always be in the starting XI, as Messi has often said he thinks he is the best or one of the best strikers in the world. 

The biggest mystery is with all the attacking talent Argentina had at their disposal, how did Meza keep getting on the pitch?

Argentina’s team is awful and so unbalanced. They really missed their chance in 2014.

But in general I’ve never seen an international team lacking so much in discipline and hitting the self-destruct button.

If it’s not Higuain missing chances my Gran could score, it’s the defenders giving needless penalties away or getting sent off recklessly when already a man up, or the goalkeeper making a howler.

At times I watch Argentina and think they do it on purpose, like there is some deeper meaning to it all.

Archived