World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

7 hours ago, dog said:

Anyone else thinking about where they were 28 years ago?

In Tenerife. Wrestling with a palm tree after we lost on penalties. It was quite strange because I think there were more Germans in the bar than English. In fact I was the only England supporter in there.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, GadFly said:

Not some donkey like Henderson lumping it forward to him. 

Never been a Henderson fan but, penalty aside, think he has been great this World Cup. The fact you refer to him as a donkey makes me think you've either not watched the games or have pre-conceived opinions on this England team.

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

To add a different perspective. 

We have been extremely lucky with the draw. I’ll accept that. I’ll also add the point that the golden generation, among others, are a bit hard done by. There have been years where we’ve seriously underperformed, and been gash, but there have also been years where we’ve been alright, but unlucky enough to meet a good Brazil in one of the earlier rounds. 

Belgium aren’t the only proper team we’ve met. Colombia are a good side, and Sweden didn’t get to the quarter finals on good looks (or good lucks) alone. To be honest, I’d rather we faced a Germany in there current form, or even a Brazil, at this stage. The ‘proper’ teams have been awful for the most part. 

And the loss to Belgium hardly counts in a friendly b-team match. I’d love the final to be a replay, and let’s see how the a-teams compare with each other. 

Kanes scored 3 penalties, but don’t let the truth get in the way of you’re argument. 2 headers and a lucky one off his heel. Nothing wrong with that, a goals a goal. We’ve scored 11 goals, 3 from open play, the rest are set pieces or penalties. He clear in the golden boot standings, and that’s having missed one game, and generally being brilliant unselfish in the other games. We’re great at set plays. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a bit like if Ipswich got to the fa cup final. I’m not going to moan if I’m an Ipswich fan. 

Or, you know what, we could just fill the team with who ever the English version of Ronaldo is these days, try to score nothing but wonder goals, and go out in the group stages (a la Germany). Wouldn’t even matter if we’d got a lucky draw then. But I much prefer the current situation. 

To sum up... After all the all those oh so nears ... Never stopped me dreaming... It's coming home. 

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

How did Croatia do? Did they look good? Didn't see that game.

They stumbled through as they have done in every game except against an awful Argentina and a half decent 45 mins against Nigeria despite having two of the best midfielders in the world in their team.

Nothing to fear here, but another even match.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Never been a Henderson fan but, penalty aside, think he has been great this World Cup. The fact you refer to him as a donkey makes me think you've either not watched the games or have pre-conceived opinions on this England team.

Agreed, he is on a booking and I guess that will affect him, presumably another booking would lead to a suspension?

Edit just read that all bookings are wiped out after qf 

11 hours ago, dog said:

Anyone else thinking about where they were 28 years ago?

We were on holiday in a non-English speaking hotel in the middle of the Black Forest (near Freudenstadt). We watched the game in our room as we were scared what would happen to us in the hotel bar. 

Of course we didn't and we got a lot of sympathy next morning at breakfast - I always wonder if people would have been so generous if we had won! 

12 hours ago, Carnero said:

Saw that pic on the rams tv meets Igor.

I can pick out (I think) Boban, Suker, Jarni, Stimac, Prosinecki & is it Dejan Savicevic bottom right?

My first foreign holiday as a child was to Trogir, Yugoslavia (now Trogir, Croatia) in 1990 not long before the war broke out! Must have been cheap! Hated it at the time (strange atmosphere funnily enough) but would love to go back there now.

Prosinecki, what a player he was. One of the very best in his era. 

Have Croatia had anyone important suspended in the end? I heard that Rakitic was one yellow away from suspension.

I think that’s something we’ve done well, suspensions and injuries have affected Brazil and Colombia off the top of my head, but apart from allis thigh strain, we’ve been able to pick our first team every time. 

I also like the strength of our squad. I know the b team didn’t do too well against Belgium, but we’ve got premier league quality throughout the 23. Whereas most countries might have a few stars, but are scraping the championship barrel to find 23 players.

(and if you scoff at ‘premier league quality’, just think that the final could be England vs Belgium, and something like 18 of the 22 starting players will be premier league. A great advert for the premier league (it’ll probably be a crap 0-0 having said that)).

Just about recovered from yesterday so I can think straight. 

I've been thinking about all the moaners who still keep harping on about England have a nice easy run to the semi-finals. Fair enough, we haven't played any of the "big" teams. But yesterday, we've just comfortably beaten Sweden who finished top of their group and thumped Mexico. Plus they took Germany all the way until the final minute. Why are the team not getting the credit they deserve?

I thought England were magnificent yesterday. It's exactly what I want from an England team. They look together and we've had generation after generation of teams who were far better in ability than these current players and none of them looked convincing as a team. Individuals who managed to scrape through games with ability rather than dominate as a collective team. Clearly France and Belgium have the best squads. France left out some quality players who'd be in the England squad with no complaints. Even though them two teams have taken out a few major tournament contenders, I still feel England have the best chance to win the World Cup. My heart sunk when Columbia scored in injury time and I just knew that'd be it for us this year, what a shame. Past England teams would have crumbled after such a blow. Penalty shootout was next, not one of my family felt confident and rightly so. We've been crap at penalty shootouts since football became a sport. But they did it. They only went and won it. After all the fouling, the cheating and the abuse from Columbia, England overcame a difficult situation for once. What a boost for team morale it must have been for the players.

Playing Sweden, I thought we'd struggle to break them down from the off. However we ripped them apart at times, it was an easier game than against Columbia. More composure in the final third and the lads would've been out of sight. It was so impressive to watch. They didn't get downhearted when the chances weren't taken, they kept trying and trying. Ali scores another brilliant header. Game over. Superb.

I give all the credit to Gareth Southgate. I think some managers are just suited to international football and he's one of them. He's not only been a fantastic man-manager for the players, but off the pitch with the media and fans he's been terrific. Instead of the media vs England like every tournament, they've both been best mates. No negative press minus the Raheem Sterling thing which was resolved before the tournament began. He's been interacting with fans after matches. Little things like that which has brought the country together that past managers have failed to achieve.

I'm so proud of this team and the manager, who's not only proved me wrong but the vast majority of England fans who wrote him and the team off. Brilliant, I can't wait until Wednesday night.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think that’s down to the management more than anything else. The golden generation had everything but a competent manager, and perhaps a lack of pace.. 

Southgate has really impressed me. He’s really focused on the strengths of the team, physical and fast... What a chance of a trophy! 

Only a hypothetical but in my opinion a Southgate style manager would have cleaned up internationally with the players we had available in that golden generation... a manger not afraid to drop big players for the greater good of a system and the team. 

Somebody on twitter wrote ‘Sterling is an example of a player who splits people into those who understand football those who just like having a go’ 

no other player makes the run he makes to create the chance when he’s one on one. He does everything right, tries to go around the keeper who does fantastically to get a touch on the ball. 

If that’s the other way around we are applauding Pickford not slating their striker...

32 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Somebody on twitter wrote ‘Sterling is an example of a player who splits people into those who understand football those who just like having a go’ 

no other player makes the run he makes to create the chance when he’s one on one. He does everything right, tries to go around the keeper who does fantastically to get a touch on the ball. 

If that’s the other way around we are applauding Pickford not slating their striker...

Plenty of those about. Those that just want to damage so that when it all goes tits up can say 'I told you so'.

The kind of people who, when the cat dies, will tell their kids, 'See, I told you it wouldn't live as long as you.'

Archived