Our CURRENT best starting XI?

No point contemplating it as I fully expect a fair amount of new signings and rightfully so. Painfully short of quality out wide both defensively and going forward. Far too many central midfielders and chuff knows which of them are going to even be here. Real lack of mobility in there too. And what’s the future look like up front? Does Martin get another chance? Is Vydra staying? 

Ask again in a months time.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

I do think Lowe injury free is quality and is developing and his loan spell at Shrewsbury should stand him in good stead .

I put him in my team from current players. 

He's probably the only youngster who'd get near my current best 11, but I think due to his injuries and him not being able to really make the Shrewsbury left back spot his, I'd still stick with Forsyth. Left back is definitely one of the first positions I want Frank to try and improve on though 

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

He's probably the only youngster who'd get near my current best 11, but I think due to his injuries and him not being able to really make the Shrewsbury left back spot his, I'd still stick with Forsyth. Left back is definitely one of the first positions I want Frank to try and improve on though 

5 at the back seemed to work to an extent at the end of last season and an injury free Lowe could be an asset in there. 

Depends which way Frank and Jody go and there is loads of variables to consider. 

Training ground pre season will be vital as will who is still here and who has left. 

Not sure how youngsters are being put into our "current" best starting XI, they have either impressed in the U23s or out on loan at lower league clubs, not one has shown the ability to perform at Championship level as of 8th June 2018.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure how youngsters are being put into our "current" best starting XI, they have either impressed in the U23s or out on loan at lower league clubs, not one has shown the ability to perform at Championship level as of 8th June 2018.

Just our opinion. I think they'll make the step up well, and I think that they show more natural ability than our current first teamers in their position. If I believe both those things then its reasonable they're in my current best XI.

If people doubt either of those things, they shouldn't be in theirs. Simple as.

1 hour ago, David said:

It’s not about the level they play at though, it’s how good they are… Dele Alli didn’t go from ‘League One standard’ to ‘England standard’ in the six months between his last appearance for The Franchise and his first cap, he was always that good. 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

It’s not about the level they play at though, it’s how good they are… Dele Alli didn’t go from ‘League One standard’ to ‘England standard’ in the six months between his last appearance for The Franchise and his first cap, he was always that good. 

But we don't know how good they are. Currently we are a Championship team, currently the youngsters haven't shown themselves capable of playing at this level. 

I'm not saying that in 6 months Bogle, Thomas, Elsnik may show they are good enough, but right now we have nothing to go on but hope to suggest they are.

Hughes and Hendrick as good as they were didn't walk into the team one day and nail their place in the starting 11. Takes time.

9 minutes ago, David said:

But we don't know how good they are. Currently we are a Championship team, currently the youngsters haven't shown themselves capable of playing at this level. 

I'm not saying that in 6 months Bogle, Thomas, Elsnik may show they are good enough, but right now we have nothing to go on but hope to suggest they are.

Hughes and Hendrick as good as they were didn't walk into the team one day and nail their place in the starting 11. Takes time.

Hughes was pretty much undroppable after his first start, to this day I still can’t believe Bryson was MOTM

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Hughes was pretty much undroppable after his first start, to this day I still can’t believe Bryson was MOTM

After is minute debut v Peterborough he had to wait 5 months before being given another chance off the bench, he was also being shoved out left by Clough. If you look back at how bad that team was and Hughes being the best talent to come out of the academy he still took him time to break in.

Few years later we have Bogle, Elsnik, Guy, Thomas who are all claimed to be in our best "current" XI when we have just finished 6th and 45 minutes away from the play off final at Wembley.

Max Lowe is possibly the exception having played in 9 games, he has shown to be capable at this level but fragile, I still don't see him walking into the team next season.  

We have always looked at our own a little starry eyed when in reality (Thanks Gary), very few actually make the grade, to say we will see 5 make it next season, sorry I just don't see it.

We're doing what the English media do with the national team, hype them up, when they need to be given time to adapt to first team Championship football.

5 minutes ago, David said:

After is minute debut v Peterborough he had to wait 5 months before being given another chance off the bench, he was also being shoved out left by Clough. If you look back at how bad that team was and Hughes being the best talent to come out of the academy he still took him time to break in.

Few years later we have Bogle, Elsnik, Guy, Thomas who are all claimed to be in our best "current" XI when we have just finished 6th and 45 minutes away from the play off final at Wembley.

Max Lowe is possibly the exception having played in 9 games, he has shown to be capable at this level but fragile, I still don't see him walking into the team next season.  

We have always looked at our own a little starry eyed when in reality (Thanks Gary), very few actually make the grade, to say we will see 5 make it next season, sorry I just don't see it.

We're doing what the English media do with the national team, hype them up, when they need to be given time to adapt to first team Championship football.

Its just some opinions of folk who spend a lot of time watching the U23s man - its not a science.

I mean sure it would be more reasonable for everyone's named XI to be the XI that started the play-off games but I genuinely think Bogle and Elsnik are better than that.

I don't need evidence to have that opinion. I might be wrong! Probably am, but its still the opinion I have.

3 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Its a slow Friday at work... So started to think about what our best starting XI is (and its formation) given our currently contracted players - no additions, no sales. 

I'm going with the graphically-challenging-but-soon-to-be fashionable 3-1-4-1-1 formation....

GK: Carson

Back Three (right to left): Wisdom - Huddlestone - Davies

Holding Midfielder: Ledley

Midfielders: (right to left):  Lawrence - Thorne - Johnson - Weimann

Attacking Midfielder: Vydra

Striker: Jerome

I told you it was a quiet morning!

That isn't the worst formation I have ever seen but it is in the top one. 

Archived