Our CURRENT best starting XI?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment, IMO the tactical options are quite limited as we would need to play Vydra as a second striker and wingers are only mediocre at best. Think about it, Weimann, Johnson, Thomas, Lawrence, Blackman...So for those reasons, I'd line up with the diamond.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone

Bryson                    Ledley

Lawrence

Vydra                    Martin

Hardly entertaining team. It's certainly good time to have transfer window open.

Carson

Wisdom  keogh  davies

Bogle                                         lowe/fozzy

Hudds      

Bryson              elsnik

Vydra/Lawrence

Martin

It quite interesting how many people were clamouring for Hanson and Rawson to be given a chance a year or two ago.  Not so many now.

The fact is that Butterfield and Johnson are better than Guy and Elsnick at this point, whether we like it or not.

Therefore, as a manager, it’s all well and good bringing in all these youngsters, however you’d be sacked by Xmas if you don’t produce results, so you’d never see the fruits of playing the kids...

10 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

It quite interesting how many people were clamouring for Hanson and Rawson to be given a chance a year or two ago.  Not so many now.

The fact is that Butterfield and Johnson are better than Guy and Elsnick at this point, whether we like it or not.

Therefore, as a manager, it’s all well and good bringing in all these youngsters, however you’d be sacked by Xmas if you don’t produce results, so you’d never see the fruits of playing the kids...

rawson isnt a derby player anymore thats why.

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

Errr how is that a fact? I'd rather start Elsnick and/or Guy than Butterfield and maybe even Brad.

Don’t seem to recall clamouring for those two to be starting games at all. Neither were/are good enough imo

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr how is that a fact? I'd rather start Elsnick and/or Guy than Butterfield and maybe even Brad.

If we play Thomas, Elsnik, Bogle and Guy regularly we will be lower mid table at best.

I’m not belittling these players, it’s just a statistical likelihood.

All of the players we have bought for big money have proved themselves to a degree, we have just not utilised them in a sufficiently suitable way that compliments how they play.

34 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

If we play Thomas, Elsnik, Bogle and Guy regularly we will be lower mid table at best.

I’m not belittling these players, it’s just a statistical likelihood.

I didn't say we'd be playing them all in the same team. Did you mean to suggest Butterfield and Johnson will be playing together in midfield? Well if so I'd rather have the U23s! 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't say we'd be playing them all in the same team. Did you mean to suggest Butterfield and Johnson will be playing together in midfield? Well if so I'd rather have the U23s! 

u23s? i rather have the under 12s then those 2 ??

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wouldn’t want Butterfield and Johnson together, but either if played right and given a role that suits would be a decent player for us.

If we don’t want to play them to their strengths, we get rid - but that applies to any player in our squad.

I wouldn’t want Butterfield and Johnson together, but either if played right and given a role that suits would be a decent player for us.

If we don’t want to play them to their strengths, we get rid - but that applies to any player in our squad.

Yeah so as I said, if it was a choice between Butters or Guy I'd have Guy, or Brad and Guy or Elsnick and Butters I'd have Elsnick, etc. 

19 hours ago, maydrakin said:

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Given we don't even know what formation Frank favours for the current squad we can't really be dogmatic about either scenario. What I'd really like to see happen is for the likes of Guy, Eksnik, Lowe and Thomas to be given a chance to show us whether or not they are ready to step up. Without gametime how will we ever know. Equally, I'd suggest that currently, none of the younger players has emphatically proven they can displace their senior counterparts.

Frank seems keen to promote youth, which I welcome, so it shouldn't be too long before we (and more importantly Frank himself) can make informed decisions, one way or t'other. 

A hard-working team of players with superior skill will beat a hard-working team lacking in skill. We have plenty of senior pros who can't really control a football. A key is if Thorne can be fit. If so, why not:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies

Thorne

Lawrence Bryson Elsnik Thomas

Martin Vydra

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A hard-working team of players with superior skill will beat a hard-working team lacking in skill. We have plenty of senior pros who can't really control a football. A key is if Thorne can be fit. If so, why not:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies

Thorne

Lawrence Bryson Elsnik Thomas

Martin Vydra

That team would be absolutely destroyed Carl ? Imagine skinny, 5 ft 7 Thomas, with no/little defensive experience, never mind first team experience, coming up against Boro or West Brom on the first day of the season. Traore or Phillips bombing down the wing at him. He would have a nightmare trying to defend against either of those, whilst also having the responsibility of being one of our main creatives players. Lawrence would probably fair better on his side, but I don't think he's good enough defensively to play a wing-back type role either

Archived