Our CURRENT best starting XI?

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Its just some opinions of folk who spend a lot of time watching the U23s man - its not a science.

I mean sure it would be more reasonable for everyone's named XI to be the XI that started the play-off games but I genuinely think Bogle and Elsnik are better than that.

I don't need evidence to have that opinion. I might be wrong! Probably am, but its still the opinion I have.

But we do have evidence that says the step up from the U23s is not that easy, and not a step that many have made for us, Callum Ball will probably back me up on this one.

Even more recently was Calero, came on for the cameo role and that was it, he was the next big thing to come out, yet ended up in the Dutch and Spanish second tiers struggling to get a game.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

But we do have evidence that says the step up from the U23s is not that easy, and not a step that many have made for us, Callum Ball will probably back me up on this one.

Even more recently was Calero, came on for the cameo role and that was it, he was the next big thing to come out, yet ended up in the Dutch and Spanish second tiers struggling to get a game.

Agreed - on the evidence bit. I never formulated an opinion on Ball or Calero, I didnt follow Derby's youths that closely until they were basically out the door.

My opinion remains unchanged.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Agreed - on the evidence bit. I never formulated an opinion on Ball or Calero, I didnt follow Derby's youths that closely until they were basically out the door.

My opinion remains unchanged.

I'm not out to change anyones opinion, just offer my own up being a forum and having watched the U23s myself, plus the lower league stars like Omar Bogle whilst at Grimsby that everyone was urging the club to sign. Excuse me also for not obsessing over the Marriott and Maddison at Peterborough as well.

I would love nothing more than for them all to make the grade, if we can get 5 Championship standard players through the system that would be one hell of an achievement for the club.

All potential until they have proven their ability at the level we play at. 

26 minutes ago, David said:

After is minute debut v Peterborough he had to wait 5 months before being given another chance off the bench, he was also being shoved out left by Clough. If you look back at how bad that team was and Hughes being the best talent to come out of the academy he still took him time to break in.

But would that not be more a case of Clough being unwilling to throw a 16 year-old into the Championship? His two cameos wouldn’t have developed him to the extent that he was good enough to put in a Man of the Match display in his first start and to become a regular the season after… 

Based on players playing when fit (ie Thorne 13/14 season)

Carson

Wisdom    Huddlestone   Davies

Keogh     Thorne     Johnson      Forsyth

Lawrence        Vydra      

Jerome / Martin

You could play Lawrence up top with Martin or Jerome and have Vydra in the hole. Plenty of options in midfield, possibly Bryson for Thorne or Ledley for Johnson and wouldn’t be adverse to playing Elsnik or Guy if they turn out to be good enough?

Carson

Wisdom         Keogh               Davies           Forsyth

Huddlestone

Bryson                          Johnson

Vydra

Jerome                    Martin

How on earth did we finish 6th?

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

But would that not be more a case of Clough being unwilling to throw a 16 year-old into the Championship? His two cameos wouldn’t have developed him to the extent that he was good enough to put in a Man of the Match display in his first start and to become a regular the season after… 

That would be a question for Clough to answer. If you watch Luke Thomas's recentish interview, he spoke about how nervous he was just training with the first team at 19, that may have been a case with Hughes as well being just 16 and it was a case of breaking him in so to speak, mental development.

8 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not out to change anyones opinion, just offer my own up being a forum and having watched the U23s myself, plus the lower league stars like Omar Bogle whilst at Grimsby that everyone was urging the club to sign. Excuse me also for not obsessing over the Marriott and Maddison at Peterborough as well.

I would love nothing more than for them all to make the grade, if we can get 5 Championship standard players through the system that would be one hell of an achievement for the club.

All potential until they have proven their ability at the level we play at. 

For sure.

I have a very realistic attitude towards youth. The next big thing could be working on a supermarket checkout within a couple of years. But I've had a very high opinion of Elsnik since we signed him, and Bogle's been a revelation who's position isn't particularly high pressure (as long as there's a back 3 behind him) - giving me greater confidence in his ability to step up.

I think both have raw talent and technical ability that exceeds the current first teamers in their position - so the only question remains is where their physicality and composure match up. That is what's tested by "stepping up" and I believe that they'll both make that step really comfortably. I could be flat out wrong, that's where most people are wrong about youth (in both directions) - but if I believe it, they have to go to the top for those positions in my personal best XI.

37 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Carson

Lawrence        Vydra      

Jerome / Martin

You could play Lawrence up top with Martin or Jerome and have Vydra in the hole. Plenty of options in midfield, possibly Bryson for Thorne or Ledley for Johnson and wouldn’t be adverse to playing Elsnik or Guy if they turn out to be good enough?

The thought of Keogh at RWB has completely fried my brain.

38 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Carson

Lawrence        Vydra      

Jerome / Martin

I like that.Elsnik for Johnson,Martin first choice with CJ as plan B.

Wisdom swap with Keogh though.

Good choice?

Hard call as we have a lot of unknown quantities in players that we think are good but have never had chance to show it, coupled with players who haven't been in top form for several seasons, and the walking wounded who may never return to their former levels

Best 11 based on proven ability, allowing for injured players to reach previous heights and assuming the wardrobe (unlike Bryson) won't come back looking older and slower because his game isn't based on that. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Thorne Huddlestone Ledley

Vydra

Martin Jerome 

We don't have decent enough wingers to play wide men. 

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Carson

Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth

Bryson,  THudd,  Johnson

Lawrence,  Vydra

Martin

I forgot about Bryson...I am a disgrace.

On 08/06/2018 at 20:58, Rampage said:

I would try to stop Rowett getting any players or backroom staff. Same for Maclaren and Clement. Loan players out if needs be to any other clubs unlikely to compete at out level.

Yes but what if he wants Lawrence and Weimann?

1 minute ago, sage said:

Yes but what if he wants Lawrence and Weimann?

You're a bit harsh on weimann, but lawrence.......

Weimann is NOT going to get us out of this league his general play is average at best and his end result is non existent.....

Forsyth is NOT going to get us out of this league he is a liability and he does not have enough quality on the ball.....

Ledley is NOT going to get us out of this league he is old, slow and doesn't affect the game enough for a midfielder......

Keogh is Not going to get us out of this league he makes too many mistakes and quality is lacking - in my eyes is replaceable.......

Nugent is Not going to get us out of this league he is old and his legs are going, Last season he showed that the quality just isn't there enough of the time anymore - Goal drought.

Archived