What ever happened to that Wembley ?

loweman2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

minus the atmosphere !

How many years did it take for the atmosphere to really kick in at the old Wembley? Doesn't happen overnight, takes years to feel at home.

Same way people knock Pride Park, it's not going to have the history that creates that special bond with the fans straight away. Children like yours that have grown up with PP will look on it as you do the Baseball Ground when they are all old and moany.

Why we need to stay at Wembley, allow it to build, not get tempted by turning us into a travelling circus.

1 hour ago, David said:

How many years did it take for the atmosphere to really kick in at the old Wembley? Doesn't happen overnight, takes years to feel at home.

Same way people knock Pride Park, it's not going to have the history that creates that special bond with the fans straight away. Children like yours that have grown up with PP will look on it as you do the Baseball Ground when they are all old and moany.

Why we need to stay at Wembley, allow it to build, not get tempted by turning us into a travelling circus.

I don't believe Wembley will necessarily build. A much higher proportion of the seating is corporate than basically any other stadium, and attendances are steadily dropping.

Back when Wembley was new England games were getting huge attendances - England v Kazakhstan in OCT 2008 was 893 short (89,107) of full capacity.

By contrast, England v Brazil in Nov 2017 got 84,595.

If I was the FA I'd be at least a little concerned that multiple World Cup Qualifying games for this campaign got attendances below 70k.

How of course its almost certainly more to do with the standard of the England team and the general mood, than the "ooh new stadium" effect wearing off. But it will be in the FA's mind that it could be that people are just getting less bothered about going to Wembley to watch England. If that is true, in a few years Wembley would be verging on unsustainable - unless they booked a lot more NFL games.

I was at the England v Spain game when we won on penalties.  Best atmosphere I've ever experienced by a country mile.

Football's Coming home went on for about 15 minutes after the penalties and no-one was leaving the stadium.

Get goosebumps just listening to that before the Germany game. 

Very Happy Days

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the Terrace

Get the bloody roof off.

the old wembley pitch would be bathed in sunshine.

now we have a gimmick of a roof that is too cumbersome to open and close, and is basically a total waste of money.

I was fortunate enough to be at the Holland and Germany matches, the absolute best atmospheres I've experienced at a game - had some great nights at the BBG and PP but I doubt anything will top Euro 96.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The old Wembley was a dump and the atmosphere was rubbish on most occasions.... there were a number of games where we only got around 30,000 and the atmosphere was toxic. 

Went to England v Uruguay at old wembley - the last warm up game before Italia 90. Bearing in mind we didn't have a bad squad (went on to our best performance in a WC outside of England and we were qtr finalists 4 years previous before losing to the Hand of God) the crowd ought to have been decent.

28,000 on a balmy June evening

And we lost 2-1

Love watching videoes of Euro 96. The atmospheres even on the videoes are beautiful, great year, 96. 

We had some great away followings in the years after that as well, France 98, Holland and Belgium 2000, Portugal?? 2004. Seemed like we dominated stadiums.

I was at England v Scotland at Euro 96 and the atmosphere around the tournament was kickstarted at that game, probobly due to Gascoigne's goal. 

An English crowd before then had Union Flags, that day seemed to be all St George's flags.  

From a visiting fans point of view there's something special about playing at Wembley. 

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Has the roof at Wembley actually been used ever.

It was a victim of the austerity measures and had to be scrapped, it is now used to cultivate cabbages by a farmer in Lincoln, he picked it up for next to nowt !

Archived