It must be time for another Chris Martin post?

WystonRam

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Youth, pace, high intensity pressure.. ..he's gotta be first name on the team sheet..

Let’s face it, he’s in the same boat as Nugent and Jerome at this time...neither of the three really covered themselves in glory over a consistent number of games last season.

- - - - - - -

On topic:

It depends how Lampard approaches it, if he’s looking for a lone striker similar to his Chelsea days then he’s the most ideal candidate we currently have with regard to age, consistency etc etc. If it’s not then he may move elsewhere, it’s all up in the air ain’t it?

Personally would love to see him come back into the fold here, but at the stage if it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be.

Maybe I’ll add this final point, all those players will want to play for Lampard and learn from him, experienced or young and they all now have a clean slate. It may be the boost that quite a few have needed to refind their careers/form. 

2 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Will Frank play him, banish him to the stiffs, or loan him out? 

Will be very very difficult to loan him out (selling him would be impossible). He is on great wages and he doesn't seem to mind not playing. His last loan would not have helped his value at all. 

Our only hope is that Steve Mac comes in for him. The whole Martin conversation is extremely boring now. He is slow, falls over easily and I hate hearing this, 'The team does not play or is not structured for him to play his best.' He is a striker, not sure why 9 other outfield players have to be set in a certain formation to bring the best out of one striker. 

Lets just leave it for Frank and his team to decide on whether they use Martin or not.

He will no doubt be first in for training next season,as he is every season so it's up to him to impress and up to the boss to decide if he fits into his plans.

You never know,lampard might actually appreciate having a striker who can pass a ball with some intelligence in the side.

Only fuckwits like rowett and Pearson couldn't see the value in that attribute.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Lets just leave it for Frank and his team to decide on whether they use Martin or not.

He will no doubt be first in for training next season,as he is every season so it's up to him to impress and up to the boss to decide if he fits into his plans.

You never know,lampard might actually appreciate having a striker who can pass a ball with some intelligence in the side.

At the very least surely it’s better to have different qualities in the squad? Not just a team full of players that run around a lot but can’t pass to each other at crucial times.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I tend to agree on the points you’ve made and I think lampard will like the initial attitude of Martin and the fact he can pass the ball and link play ,we may see vydra buzzing round Martin with the midfield pushed up more ,creating triangles and support ,it will be balanced against what Martin can produce winning the ball back and pressuring up the field ,

what I will say is that I think Martin will get a clean slate and chance to impress unless a good offer comes in for him in the summer as will all our players and the reason for this in my eyes is the stature of lampard , managers have come in and I believe felt a bit overshadowed by our bigger players / fans favs and have felt they needed to stamp their authority,, I don’t think this will be the case with frank 

36 minutes ago, archied said:

I tend to agree on the points you’ve made and I think lampard will like the initial attitude of Martin and the fact he can pass the ball and link play ,we may see vydra buzzing round Martin with the midfield pushed up more ,creating triangles and support ,it will be balanced against what Martin can produce winning the ball back and pressuring up the field ,

what I will say is that I think Martin will get a clean slate and chance to impress unless a good offer comes in for him in the summer as will all our players and the reason for this in my eyes is the stature of lampard , managers have come in and I believe felt a bit overshadowed by our bigger players / fans favs and have felt they needed to stamp their authority,, I don’t think this will be the case with frank 

As you say,clean sheet for everyone...

Will be fascinating to see how it all develops.....

He’s too slow for how Lampard will play (from listening to his interviews).

i turned on Sky Sports yesterday and a review of championship season 15/16 was on. I looked up just in time to see Martin score a rocket of a free kick, absolutely beautiful goal. He stopped doing that and I think his days here are done, he won’t get that form back. 

When I saw Chelsea play at PP what struck me was how athletic they were, big, strong, lean and energetic. Non of these apply to Chris Martin. Put him under pressure and he falls over. 

28 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

i turned on Sky Sports yesterday and a review of championship season 15/16 was on. I looked up just in time to see Martin score a rocket of a free kick, absolutely beautiful goal. He stopped doing that and I think his days here are done, he won’t get that form back. 

He won't if he's not given a run of games ie like Jerome. All strikers need games.

If Frank sees our attacking strength in our midfield runners, he will likely play Martin as the hold up and link up play is essential for those players - as Martin's the best in the club for that.

However, if sees our attacking strength in a more fluid attack with a very high press, I don't think he will play Martin - he doesn't have the legs for a formation like that.

There's some grey area in between where Martin could see occasional play - but I'm expecting Martin to be moved on personally. He's one of the highest earners (I think) after getting a new contract while at Fulham.

Depends on incoming players and the way Frank wants to play. Still in my opinion our most complete striker on the payroll. If his head is in the right place he's one of the best strikers in the league, but when he's not interested he's a passenger. 

Interesting summer ahead in terms of ins and outs

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He won't if he's not given a run of games ie like Jerome. All strikers need games.

So he was sent out on loan to get games. Didn’t work out did it? I think it’s time for him to take it as his own issue and we shouldn’t blame the manager/s

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

If Frank sees our attacking strength in our midfield runners, he will likely play Martin as the hold up and link up play is essential for those players - as Martin's the best in the club for that.

However, if sees our attacking strength in a more fluid attack with a very high press, I don't think he will play Martin - he doesn't have the legs for a formation like that.

There's some grey area in between where Martin could see occasional play - but I'm expecting Martin to be moved on personally. He's one of the highest earners (I think) after getting a new contract while at Fulham.

Sensible post. Martin is still a good player in the right system and will regain his form if played regularly in same. 

Do I think that will be at Derby? Sadly no.

Archived