It must be time for another Chris Martin post?

WystonRam

26 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

True, but there's no one size fits all style of pressing high up the pitch. Lampard's style and ideas may be achieved in a different manner to McClaren's. 

We will have to wait and see. 

Oh for sure, just pointing out playing Martin and having pressing game aren't mutually exclusive.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Fantastic!! I played for them..... blimey, 33 years ago!!!

Haha! Very much still going strong mate! 

11 hours ago, cannable said:

He could just as easily apply this to Matty Vydra… but Martin falls over a bit so he must be poo #BREXIT

You are seriously comparing Vydra to Martin?

One had Sunderland and Reading reluctantly take him on loan and the other well, he can run, score, pass and could probably get us at least 10 million pounds in transfer fees.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If he does fit in, great. If not then we applaud an excellent servant for derby and move on.

My thoughts exactly. 

Although, half of us will applaud an excellent servant, while the other half will blah blah blah fat lazy blah blah useless blah blah overrated. 

20 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

You are seriously comparing Vydra to Martin?

One had Sunderland and Reading reluctantly take him on loan and the other well, he can run, score, pass and could probably get us at least 10 million pounds in transfer fees.

One couldn’t score for us or Reading in two consecutive seasons but no, you’re right mate, football is black and white, obviously 

Also, you rate Vydra’s passing? Come on mate, you might have an irrational dislike of Martin because pashun but really? You’re creating strengths in a player to emphasise a point? 

24 minutes ago, cannable said:

One couldn’t score for us or Reading in two consecutive seasons but no, you’re right mate, football is black and white, obviously 

Also, you rate Vydra’s passing? Come on mate, you might have an irrational dislike of Martin because pashun but really? You’re creating strengths in a player to emphasise a point? 

If anyone is showing bias it is you.

In the summer of 2018, one of these players will commands millions of pounds in a transfer fee and one will be on high wages with little to no demand for him.

Also irrational would mean it makes no sense. Martin has been poo for two seasons in a row. It is irrational to think he would score 10 goals let alone 20 if he played for us this season. 

I am just tired of the Russell, Martin stans who make it sound like these two players are Messi and Ronaldo. We had them, we didn't get promoted, let us just move on. 

25 minutes ago, SilentRam said:

If anyone is showing bias it is you.

In the summer of 2018, one of these players will commands millions of pounds in a transfer fee and one will be on high wages with little to no demand for him.

Also irrational would mean it makes no sense. Martin has been poo for two seasons in a row. It is irrational to think he would score 10 goals let alone 20 if he played for us this season. 

I am just tired of the Russell, Martin stans who make it sound like these two players are Messi and Ronaldo. We had them, we didn't get promoted, let us just move on. 

Bias? I’m balancing things up?

You write players off after two* poor seasons without considering the extenuating circumstances… 

Please though, do tell how two* poor seasons will have resulted in Martin losing his touch and intelligence.

*balls 

It’s an interesting one. I have always been a tepid Martin fan. Recognising his strengths but aware of his weaknesses.

the one play that never got a good run was Martin and Vydra. ... with the right midfield and flank players there is a roll he can play and do well 

He’s subtle, lots of guile and a goal scorer. Lacks Pace, not mobile enough but with the right players around him he has more than useful skills in terms of touch, control and linking. 

our best all round striker is Nugent in that he is most adaptable, but if you look at Vydra, Jerome and Martin they all have an edge if the game is played in a certain way. It’s going to be fun seeing what Frank does with the raw materials he has. 

6 hours ago, 86 points said:

Maybe, just maybe, we'll finally get to see Vyds playing off Martin. I'd love them to get a run of games together but I'm losing faith that it will ever actually happen. I think it could be a lethal partnership if it does.

I sort of agree ... but even  as Vydra has learned to drop deeper to get the ball I still think we need a better, forward thinking  midfield to enhance the quality of the supply line. Our midfield has often sat too deep to get the best out of a Martin and Vydra set up.

25 minutes ago, jono said:

I sort of agree ... but even  as Vydra has learned to drop deeper to get the ball I still think we need a better, forward thinking  midfield to enhance the quality of the supply line. Our midfield has often sat too deep to get the best out of a Martin and Vydra set up.

This is slightly nitpicking so forgive me as it's a subtle difference but I'm not sure we need a 'better' midfield, I just think we need more mobility. George, Joe and Tom are too alike and despite having quality, none are the quickest nor are they in the mould of a Franky Lampard (how good does it feel to use that analogy!). Where we definitely agree is that the link between midfield and our forward line was far too dependent on Huddz making wonderpasses (Vyds too looked ineffective and a tad mardy having to drop deep to collect the ball) and we need a higher line and at least one attacking mid IMO if we are challenge for the autos this season. I'd be 99% certain Frank will have identified this as something to address and I'm quite excited to see how he goes about it. It's an exciting time to be a Derby fan after a difficult few years, that's for sure. 

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

This is slightly nitpicking so forgive me as it's a subtle difference but I'm not sure we need a 'better' midfield, I just think we need more mobility. George, Joe and Tom are too alike and despite having quality, none are the quickest nor are they in the mould of a Franky Lampard (how good does it feel to use that analogy!). Where we definitely agree is that the link between midfield and our forward line was far too dependent on Huddz making wonderpasses (Vyds too looked ineffective and a tad mardy having to drop deep to collect the ball) and we need a higher line and at least one attacking mid IMO if we are challenge for the autos this season. I'd be 99% certain Frank will have identified this as something to address and I'm quite excited to see how he goes about it. It's an exciting time to be a Derby fan after a difficult few years, that's for sure. 

Vydra gets kicked from pillar to post when he picks the ball up and starts running at people , the problem is that if he has to drop too deep to pick the ball up because the whole team are too deep with no intention to or quality to carry the ball forward then the free kicks that vydra wins are not in areas that hurt the opposition so I’m sure he feels a bit like he’s wasting his time a lot of the time ,, strikers like him and Martin are happy to keep getting fouled if it’s in the right areas 

Lampard has touted how he likes aggressive approach. Depending on where he wants to start aggressive pressing is the key is there use for Martin or not. If the upfront starts it, I'm afraid he is as good as gone.

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Either way. At the start of the season Rowett was giving it large about Martin could even be a no10, to hardly giving him 5 minutes on the pitch. Martin said at Fulham he just wanted to get a contract so his family could be settled - that's what he puts foremost it seems. So he doesn't like be out on loan. I wonder if Rowett had been smarter it would have been easier to sell Chrissie in the summer and then they'd both have been happier. Instead Martin has lost even more value. But to suggest he can't be the player he was is nonsense. Unlike Jerome and Nugent his game has never been about pace and running chasing the ball!

This Lampard feel-good factor is intoxicating stuff.... I'm actually whole-heartedly agreeing with a @RoyMac5 post about Chris Martin.

Rowett will be pleased cos I've made ticket arrangements for his summer vacation and I think hell has just frozen over!

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Mickleover Jubilee..? Meh...what kind of name is that??

Now...'Littleover Dazzlers'..there is a name to evoke a schoolboy's dreams!

Stop it!  You're making me get all nostalgic-like! Spondon Dynamos rocked in my day!

11 hours ago, 86 points said:

I don't think you're nit picking. You're right. We do have the ability to pass the ball from midfield but no real CM/AM who can bring the ball forward and engage with the front players at close quarters. Hughesy might have become that player because he had the skills, but that ship has sailed..... for now. .. I have always liked teams with central man like  Lampard, or Robson … the ones that can burst through with the ball at their feet. When you have a player like that all the "two banks of 4" clichees / excuses are taken away because that is the other way to break a wall; stride through it with the ball and keep going …… as opposed to worldy passing. 

On 31/05/2018 at 20:26, SilentRam said:

Will be very very difficult to loan him out (selling him would be impossible). He is on great wages and he doesn't seem to mind not playing. His last loan would not have helped his value at all. 

Our only hope is that Steve Mac comes in for him. The whole Martin conversation is extremely boring now. He is slow, falls over easily and I hate hearing this, 'The team does not play or is not structured for him to play his best.' He is a striker, not sure why 9 other outfield players have to be set in a certain formation to bring the best out of one striker. 

Good grief! You talk with a lot of authority and few facts.

'Will be very very difficult to loan him out (selling him would be impossible)'

I have no clue on the first item (and neither do you), but to say it would be impossible to sell him is patently ludicrous.

'he doesn't seem to mind not playing' 

Keep talking out of the wrong end. How on earth do you know that or even come to the impression that he doesn't 'seem' to mind?

This is confirmation bias all over when we have an opinion and then filter out anything that contradicts it. And in your case you are turning mere speculation into 'observable' facts.

'He is slow, falls over easily'

People said that about Fannie Lee even though he had an amazing 6 yard burst, like CM.

' not sure why 9 other outfield players have to be set in a certain formation to bring the best out of one striker.'

Really, you don't know that? You don't know why Argentina structured their entire team to run through Maradona? Or why teams with Shearer, built everything round him, or why Liverpool for years focused in on Rush?

I get it, you dislike the guy, but at least try and compile a coherent argument as to why.

Archived