Expectations next season and beyond

Bris Vegas

Be interesting to hear people's expectations next season...

One one hand, I wouldn't mind seeing us use the season as a transitional one, adopting a new attacking style and trying to start the process with the introduction of a couple of acadmey players every now and again and buying young players like Adelakun, Maddison or Glenn Kamara.

We'd probably need to sell Vydra to balance the books somewhat and fund these signings. But in doing all of this, we're likely to fall short of the playoffs. That's fine by me, IF there is clear evidence of moving towards a new, more entertaining playing style.

On the flip side, we just reached the playoffs, and even towards the end of the season without Vydra we still looked like a solid enough side. By that, I mean we looked a league above Barnsley and Cardiff didn't look any better than us. Do we expect another top six push regardless of the new manager with our current set of players?

With so many players' contracts set to expire in 2019, could we have one final push with the squad as it is? I personally can't wait until next season is over and hopefully we see the back of Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Andreas Weimann, Nick Blackman, Alex Pearce and Marcus Olsson.

The likes of Tom Huddlestone, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Joe Ledley and Craig Bryson are relatively popular players but they're all the wrong side of 30 and by next summer I think it'll be time to let them go too (all out of contract in 2019).

The summer of 2019 could finally see us completely change the direction of this team. I'm excited for that and I hope by that time we have an identity put in place and we target players to fit that style.

Three-year plans are often spoke about in football, but that couldn't be more true for our next manager. It will take next season to clear the deadwood, the 2019/20 campaign to integrate new signings and the summer of 2020 to add the necessary quality so we can really go for it in 2020/21 or 2021/22.

I reckon it will be a lengthy process. I'm all up for it as long as we attempt to play entertaining football.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spanish said:

can't even think about this until we have a manager, we will get a hint by knowing who he is

But it shouldn't matter who we get in charge. You either believe we should be targetting the playoffs again with our current squad, or you shouldn't?

We just finished in the top six, so if we we're down in 14th next season, do you say that's unacceptable? 

I'm personally willing to write next season off. 

Everyone keeps saying this, but when it comes down to it they all want promotion now, at whatever long term cost to the club.

I suspect that includes Mel, he always says that developing the players and their performances is the main target, but every year when we get a sniff of promotion it all goes out the window and it's **** or bust again. 

Depends greatly on what comes out of the club. 

If the long term plan is to correct the financial wrongs of previous seasons then go again I'd be happy with a couple of seasons mid table - play the youth, bring in a few loans whilst we shift the old guard and wait for the high earners contracts to expire.

If they say promotion is the aim, keep a strong core and bring in a couple of high quality new faces then I'd say top 6 minimum.

Better football 

Youth players being given the chance to prove they're good enough

Lower expectations - top half is enough for me

Fans not sniping at the first sign of problems

DCFC to listen to supporters on things like showing scores on the screen, volume of music, prematch displays, etc

A sense that the club, players and fans are on the same page and working together

Having said all that, this is a pointless exercise until the transfer window shuts and we know the squad we have.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But it shouldn't matter who we get in charge. You either believe we should be targetting the playoffs again with our current squad, or you shouldn't?

We just finished in the top six, so if we we're down in 14th next season, do you say that's unacceptable? 

Playoffs (in fact autos) should always be a "target" even if it's not an actual expectation.

In terms of writing off next season, it depends on what you mean by "writing off". I'm guessing you mean not expecting play offs.

For me:

Target would be play offs or autos

Realistic expectation (by which I mean I wouldn't be calling for the managers head) would be top half.

Unacceptable would be relegation or seriously flirting with it. 

I suppose it depends on what the "entertaining football" is...  if you mean a team like Fulham or Brentford then I suspect we will have to go through pain to get there and at least a year of mid table mediocrity.

I believe we are currently more set up as a counter attacking unit and there are some exciting teams playing this way ... 

we did attempt it last year under rowett we just didn't have the pace and quality going forward or legs in midfield to support.

one thing is for sure, we really need to stop changing direction on styles and stick to a certain type of manager to build that way.

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

depends on the longer term objectives which will be evidenced by the choice of the manager.  currently it feels like every year we get close but fail is another wasted in revamping the club.  Perhaps we need a couple of poor seasons to focus on a resolution rather than hanging on to top 6 with our finger nails

Promotion always has to be the aim, otherwise what’s the point in playing?

In terms of what I would accept though... I don’t really care where we finish as long as we look to be improving as a footballing side and obviously don’t go down. We’re so close to being able to get rid of the mistakes we overpaid for in 2015-16 so that will be a huge burden lifted. If we can bring through a couple of younger players, either from the academy or other clubs, that can grow and form the spine of this team going forward then I’ll be happy. I would also like to see us play to win rather than avoid defeat. I wasn’t against GR’s football because it was effective, but I don’t think we have the players to be effective enough going up like that.

44 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Be interesting to hear people's expectations next season...

One one hand, I wouldn't mind seeing us use the season as a transitional one, adopting a new attacking style and trying to start the process with the introduction of a couple of acadmey players every now and again and buying young players like Adelakun, Maddison or Glenn Kamara.

We'd probably need to sell Vydra to balance the books somewhat and fund these signings. But in doing all of this, we're likely to fall short of the playoffs. That's fine by me, IF there is clear evidence of moving towards a new, more entertaining playing style.

On the flip side, we just reached the playoffs, and even towards the end of the season without Vydra we still looked like a solid enough side. By that, I mean we looked a league above Barnsley and Cardiff didn't look any better than us. Do we expect another top six push regardless of the new manager with our current set of players?

With so many players' contracts set to expire in 2019, could we have one final push with the squad as it is? I personally can't wait until next season is over and hopefully we see the back of Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Andreas Weimann, Nick Blackman, Alex Pearce and Marcus Olsson.

The likes of Tom Huddlestone, Cameron Jerome, David Nugent, Curtis Davies, Joe Ledley and Craig Bryson are relatively popular players but they're all the wrong side of 30 and by next summer I think it'll be time to let them go too (all out of contract in 2019).

The summer of 2019 could finally see us completely change the direction of this team. I'm excited for that and I hope by that time we have an identity put in place and we target players to fit that style.

Three-year plans are often spoke about in football, but that couldn't be more true for our next manager. It will take next season to clear the deadwood, the 2019/20 campaign to integrate new signings and the summer of 2020 to add the necessary quality so we can really go for it in 2020/21 or 2021/22.

I reckon it will be a lengthy process. I'm all up for it as long as we attempt to play entertaining football.

I'm actually quite worried about this. All it takes is a decent little run of form and fans (myself included) quickly forget the bad times and start calling for a new contract. We were desperate to tie Ledley down to a new deal and now I kind of wish we didn't. I absolutely love Thorne but he signed a new contract and was then barely seen again for the season. At this moment I'd only want possibly Davies, Huddlestone and Weimann given new deals, provided they aren't on ridiculously high wages (25k+). We need a few experienced heads to go with what we all hope will be a much younger team in the coming years

We should be targeting the playoffs. 

If a mediocre manager, utilising mediocre tactics can get us into the playoffs then there's no reason why a more talented manager shouldn't be aiming to do at least the same. 

Obviously we don't know who's leaving or coming in, but assuming a like-for-like basis then we should be aiming for top six. 

The other three losing playoff teams, WBA, Swansea, us. Would have included Stoke, but they've done a bang-up job of removing themselves from the running. Can't see any of the teams who finished below us this season overhauling us next.

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Unacceptable would be relegation or seriously flirting with it. 

Do you say that because of the supposed quality of our current squad? Or just expectations?

I remember very well how we flirted strongly with relegation under George Burley, yet there were evident signs things could improve. Even in a season where we had obvious frailties, you could see the pattern of play being put in place.

It only then took a few signings, a couple of our youngsters like Hudds, Tudgay and Camp coming into contention (I think Richard Jackson and Adam Bolder were also around 19), and suddenly we had a nice blend of exciting foreign players, acadmey products coming through and other youngsters.

Could you accept a flirt with relegation next season if it's obvious we're setting in stone a similar pattern?

I would like to see us finish top half still, despite the age of the squad there is still more than enough quality there.

I'd be happy to trade off a few places for good football and a bit of potential.

We cant be worrying about promotion this season, if by some miracle it happens then great, but we have to be thinking more about the season after and beyond and try to lay some long term foundations.

Its a balancing act for managers, effectiveness v beauty. 

Archived