Lampard too expensive?

Topram

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Monty said:

The real analogy is that if you employed a group of bricklayers would you hire one of the the best and most experienced bricklayers who had captained the England bricklaying team to develop your employees...

Not the same thing at all....managing a team of Brickies is not the same as running a construction company....

8 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Dean smith would be my 2nd choice but alot of people raving about him dont seem to realise that he's done well in a certain set up. He's not gonna have that set up at derby, so will he be the same? He may play decent football too but do we have the players who can play that way now?

It's an interesting point to discuss. Brentford is clearly a very forward-thinking club, but just because a manager does well in a unique set-up doesn't mean that he should be out of the running for the Derby job. Smith got the Brentford job from the excellent work he did at Walsall, and I'm assuming that they don't have a similar set-up to Brentford (do they? Genuine question). If anything, it possibly shows that Smith is an adaptable manager who has been able to succeed in both traditional and non-traditional set-ups. 

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If other sources are to be believed, significant downsizing is required this summer.

Or, put it this way, if it wasn't, perhaps Rowett wouldn't have been so keen on the Stoke job.

Making difficult decisions about who is and isn't vital is a managerial skill.

Rowett couldn't get rid of 'the unwanted' last season could he? Doubt it'll happen this either. Not sure when checking the figures (via @ramblur) that after losing the big 3s wages and Rowetts pay off that we'd need much more than not spending more than we generate?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rowett couldn't get rid of 'the unwanted' last season could he? Doubt it'll happen this either. Not sure when checking the figures (via @ramblur) that after losing the big 3s wages and Rowetts pay off that we'd need much more than not spending more than we generate?

I don't know how much, but I think we all know whoever comes in isn't going to have a lot of wriggle room.

I'm not anti lampard, I just think it's a really tricky job to take on.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't know how much, but I think we all know whoever comes in isn't going to have a lot of wriggle room.

I'm not anti lampard, I just think it's a really tricky job to take on.

True - but think of all the loans he'd be able to convince to come here. ?

Let's look at the positives if he comes. He is a very popular and well regarded top class footballer who will have loads of contacts and could well attract some very promising footballers to our club either signed or on loan. He could sort out the link between mid field and forwards so we actually have our forwards getting more of the ball. He will raise the profile of our club and who knows what deals could come through this. This may sound idealistic but boring it's not and I've had enough of boring to last me a few seasons.

1 minute ago, desirelines said:

It's an interesting point to discuss. Brentford is clearly a very forward-thinking club, but just because a manager does well in a unique set-up doesn't mean that he should be out of the running for the Derby job. Smith got the Brentford job from the excellent work he did at Walsall, and I'm assuming that they don't have a similar set-up to Brentford (do they? Genuine question). If anything, it possibly shows that Smith is an adaptable manager who has been able to succeed in both traditional and non-traditional set-ups. 

I dont tend to be too bothered by a mangers old job to be honest. Of course it has an effect but i wasn't too bothered about what rowett had done at Birmingham or even Burton. He got the job because he was what we needed, someone younger who knew the club and had the club's best interests at heart (unfortunately that all turned out to be bull). 

So to me what Dean Smith did at Walsall doesn't matter too much we aren't Walsall, we aren't even in that league. We are derby county. Yes he's been impressive at Brentford, but does he get you excited, does he make you think 'wait a minute ... there's something different happening here.

I think we need lampard to bring a new image and yes, he may well be in it for himself and for a bigger move at some point, but i see that as a good thing in some ways. For that to happen he needs to succeed. He wouldnt acccept the job and the circumstances if he didnt back himself to do it

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Yes if I wanted someone to be a bricklaying academy coach, but not to run the whole construction firm.

But we are not asking him to run the whole company are we ? We are asking him manage the Brickie’s , plan how the Brickie’s work , identify other good Brickie s ,lead by example and teach others what it takes to become better Brickie’s 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

True - but think of all the loans he'd be able to convince to come here. ?

Although convincing the clubs who hen farm out loans not to accept much for a loan player is a different story 

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

Yes he's been impressive at Brentford, but does he get you excited, does he make you think 'wait a minute ... there's something different happening here.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Smith wouldn't be the most exciting appointment, but I do think that he's a good manager and I think he'd do well given time (a rare commodity these days!). 

3 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

I think we need lampard to bring a new image and yes, he may well be in it for himself and for a bigger move at some point, but i see that as a good thing in some ways.

The only thing that concerns me with the Lampard hype is that it's a massive risk (IMO). But, hey, maybe that's the one reason why we go for him! ?

Is there a chance that we are not in so dire financial straits as things are being painted and there may well be a bit more wiggle room for lampard ( ramblur?) , how cool would it be if mel was happy to let rowett believe we were down and out allowing him to show his true colours then get frankie in 

Q

4 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

I dont tend to be too bothered by a mangers old job to be honest. Of course it has an effect but i wasn't too bothered about what rowett had done at Birmingham or even Burton. He got the job because he was what we needed, someone younger who knew the club and had the club's best interests at heart (unfortunately that all turned out to be bull). 

So to me what Dean Smith did at Walsall doesn't matter too much we aren't Walsall, we aren't even in that league. We are derby county. Yes he's been impressive at Brentford, but does he get you excited, does he make you think 'wait a minute ... there's something different happening here.

I think we need lampard to bring a new image and yes, he may well be in it for himself and for a bigger move at some point, but i see that as a good thing in some ways. For that to happen he needs to succeed. He wouldnt acccept the job and the circumstances if he didnt back himself to do it

Would be disappointed if Dean Smith leaves us for you but could understand if he does being the size of your club and the money he will be offered.Dean works under 2 D.O.Fs and is joined by 2 other coaches who have a big input into the tactics.As others have stated on here managers have left us and found it hard to succeed, Rosler and Warburton both have been disappointing at bigger clubs with bigger budgets.Dean is a great football man but his success at Brentford comes by a fantastic support team that can’t be brought.

4 minutes ago, archied said:

Is there a chance that we are not in so dire financial straits as things are being painted and there may well be a bit more wiggle room for lampard ( ramblur?) , how cool would it be if mel was happy to let rowett believe we were down and out allowing him to show his true colours then get frankie in 

Been thinking this quite a bit, all the talk of no significant money to spend, cut our cloth accordingly, seems nothing more than smoke and mirrors, to get players in for a reasonable amount and be able to do business properly with other clubs instead of them trying to have our pants down. Whilst also helping Rowett off the pay role without the need of sacking him.

8 minutes ago, Brentfordjack said:

Q

Would be disappointed if Dean Smith leaves us for you but could understand if he does being the size of your club and the money he will be offered.Dean works under 2 D.O.Fs and is joined by 2 other coaches who have a big input into the tactics.As others have stated on here managers have left us and found it hard to succeed, Rosler and Warburton both have been disappointing at bigger clubs with bigger budgets.Dean is a great football man but his success at Brentford comes by a fantastic support team that can’t be brought.

The systems you have in place are just what we need here...allowing continuity even if the manager leaves.

My favourites for the Derby job  are Smith or Warburton but I recognize that we need a similar team in place to support them....I hope mel,our gaffer,understands that this time and we will make a major step forwards.

22 minutes ago, TaylorRam84 said:

To be honest, the thing you see as a positive, I see as a negative. For my two cents, seems we're getting a little starstruck with the idea of Mr. Frank Lampard himself managing Derby County. People talk about his image attracting good players, etc. That's one heck of an assumption. It also begs the question, who exactly are we trying to attract? Our squad is already bloated with ex-Prem journeymen. We don't need more expensive mistakes.

Furthermore, it's fair to say the best squad we've had in the last few years was the Clough-built / Schteve-managed 13/14 squad. A team made up of lower league gems (Buxton), homegrown youth (Hughes), castaways (Martin) and scottish pedigree (Bryson). IMO, what DCFC need now is a manger to follow that template – someone with experience working in lower leagues who know's how to spot an up-and-coming player able to step it up. It's cheaper. It's less risk. And when it works it's a joy to watch. 

22 minutes ago, archied said:

But we are not asking him to run the whole company are we ? We are asking him manage the Brickie’s , plan how the Brickie’s work , identify other good Brickie s ,lead by example and teach others what it takes to become better Brickie’s 

I'd be more inclined to demand knowledge of the appropriate use of apostrophes.

Archived