Where Has The Money Gone?

Ram of Steel

I'm really struggling to see how we are suddenly unable to spend money because of FFP risks. Yes we've spent a considerable amount since 15/16 season but we have also commanded some relatively high transfer fees ourselves for players, most of which at a good profit. Off the top of my head - Hendrick £10m, Ince £11m, Hughes £8-9m, Christie £2.75m + Martin loan fee & Grant £1m?

I don't know a great deal about FFP, I know it works in cycles and that transfer fees are spread out over the length of the player's contract, and of course we have a high wage bill but when you consider that we will be getting high earners off of that wage bill this summer such as Bent, Shackell, Baird? And potentially Martin. Along with the potential of bringing in around £15m if we decide to sell Vydra and the further reduction in wages that will bring, then why are we suddenly unable to spend to the extent where the manager decides to leave? Worried about having to reduce the wage bill further and a lack of ambition. 

What has changed since just a few months ago when we were bidding £6m for the likes of James McClean?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who has said we have no money to spend?

We do have money, not a significant amount but most importantly we need to cut down the wage bill that stood at 35m. We are probs down to 30m now with Baird, Shackell, Bent and Rowett now gone. I think we can spend what we receive to a certain level anyway but also need to make sure the wages go down.

It could be one of two things.... 

Either we were going to go for it in Jan because the right investment may have kept us there and was a lower risk at that point... 

Or... 

Mel wanted rid of Rowett due to less fans in the ground, an abysmal 18 game run and general discontent. He knew he couldn't sack him because of past reputation and promises of stability. So he tied his hands and and made the position look untenable for a mercenary who is aware of his own limited ability. 

Suspect it's the former but if its the latter then Mel I salute you. 

Any chance we are putting the story out there that we’ve got no money to spend because we’re actually trying to prevent ourselves from getting priced out of every player we try to buy?

Wishful thinking, perhaps 

As above, big wages and contracts for substandard players. Plus paying off endless managers. Also offering big contracts and wages to our current players. Then we have the hidden clauses and bonuses and we all of a sudden have spent lots of money.   

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Any chance we are putting the story out there that we’ve got no money to spend because we’re actually trying to prevent ourselves from getting priced out of every player we try to buy?

Said this a few days ago mate

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Not a bad shout. It had been noted before that other clubs may have seen Derby as a price gouging opportunity. Maybe some strategic positioning of information here, let’s hope.

...unless other clubs managers read this forum in which case we’re defo broke and can only afford to pay £4.58 and a can of Fanta with the ring-pull broken off.

The money has gone on paying players premiership wages

I would expect Huddlestone Davis Carson Jerome Martin Bryson Butterfield Nugent Anya Vydra Wisdom Ledley Johnson Lawrence are all on big money 

Attendances have dropped and you can write off the fees paid for Anya Blackman Johnson and Butterfield as none would raise anywhere what we paid for them

Fact is the squad size and wages is sustainable and if Mel can'tget the losses under control then we go bust - simple economics

53 minutes ago, Ram of Steel said:

I'm really struggling to see how we are suddenly unable to spend money because of FFP risks. Yes we've spent a considerable amount since 15/16 season but we have also commanded some relatively high transfer fees ourselves for players, most of which at a good profit. Off the top of my head - Hendrick £10m, Ince £11m, Hughes £8-9m, Christie £2.75m + Martin loan fee & Grant £1m?

I don't know a great deal about FFP, I know it works in cycles and that transfer fees are spread out over the length of the player's contract, and of course we have a high wage bill but when you consider that we will be getting high earners off of that wage bill this summer such as Bent, Shackell, Baird? And potentially Martin. Along with the potential of bringing in around £15m if we decide to sell Vydra and the further reduction in wages that will bring, then why are we suddenly unable to spend to the extent where the manager decides to leave? Worried about having to reduce the wage bill further and a lack of ambition. 

What has changed since just a few months ago when we were bidding £6m for the likes of James McClean?

Is this a serious question ???

if you can't work out where the money has gone then Im truly sorry and mean no harm but I question your intelligence 

its fricking obvious 

Clue, half of them were out on Loan this season to try and help, damage limition ... thank Uncle Sam and his big contracts 

47 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Having money isn't the issue, it's being able to spend it within FFP guidelines that is the issue.

You're going to have to post this a lot before everyone grasps it

32 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

The money has gone on paying players premiership wages

I would expect Huddlestone Davis Carson Jerome Martin Bryson Butterfield Nugent Anya Vydra Wisdom Ledley Johnson Lawrence are all on big money 

Attendances have dropped and you can write off the fees paid for Anya Blackman Johnson and Butterfield as none would raise anywhere what we paid for them

Fact is the squad size and wages is sustainable and if Mel can'tget the losses under control then we go bust - simple economics

Op please read this 

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Having money isn't the issue, it's being able to spend it within FFP guidelines that is the issue.

? ??

Wait til the Twitter massive start. 

"We're skint! Mel wants out asap!!!!"

Ah well. At least we have Hughes, Ince and Martin. The first two will fetch a large fee and providing we don't send Martin out on loan he should still hold some value. 

We just need to make sure we don't buy old high profile players with no resale value.

If we do that and then the manager goes to Stoke then we are leaving ourselves with a bit of a tough job recruiting manager and players.

?

Archived