Where Has The Money Gone?

Ram of Steel

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Rampage said:

ffp developing into a farce

If I own a football club and want promotion why can I not spend what I like? A restraint of business at some level?

It's designed to stop an owner tieing a club to long expensive wage contracts, and walking away leaving club stuffed with an ongoing liability that could bankrupt a club years after the current owner has left.

I always had an issue with how can Football authorities say if a sponsor ship deal is over valued.  Man City certainly received startlingly high sponsorship deals..,.which over course of time are reasonable as the became top team. 

We are lucky to have a rich owner, but having lost best part of £200m cash to stay at same place in championship must be soul destroying.   Doing a Wolves was in Hindsight the route to Premier League as was quality loans.  For some reason we declined use of quality loans for a few seasons.  Thankfully that wrong strategic decision was ditched last summer.

Brevity ..... ?  Pfft

2 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

For some reason we declined use of quality loans for a few seasons.  Thankfully that wrong strategic decision was ditched last summer.

Declined or not attractive enough a destination?

5 hours ago, Igorlegend11 said:

It's designed to stop an owner tieing a club to long expensive wage contracts, and walking away leaving club stuffed with an ongoing liability that could bankrupt a club years after the current owner has left.

I always had an issue with how can Football authorities say if a sponsor ship deal is over valued.  Man City certainly received startlingly high sponsorship deals..,.which over course of time are reasonable as the became top team. 

We are lucky to have a rich owner, but having lost best part of £200m cash to stay at same place in championship must be soul destroying.   Doing a Wolves was in Hindsight the route to Premier League as was quality loans.  For some reason we declined use of quality loans for a few seasons.  Thankfully that wrong strategic decision was ditched last summer.

Brevity ..... ?  Pfft

If a Chinese billionaire strolls in then how much can he blow on the Rams in first season?

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

If a Chinese billionaire strolls in then how much can he blow on the Rams in first season?

As much as they like - as long as we go up.

Alternative is to "only" lose say £20m a year and stay in Championship....which is highly UNappealing I imagine

1 minute ago, Igorlegend11 said:

As much as they like - as long as we go up.

Alternative is to "only" lose say £20m a year and stay in Championship....which is highly UNappealing I imagine

In theory the Prem are supposed to punish ffp rule breakers if they get promoted from the EFL. Although it doesnt look like they want to give Villa a points deduction, as the EFL wants, if they are found to have breached the rules.

Any new owner would be as limited as Mel spending wise if they wanted to stay within ffp - they would need to find another wsy around it. Wolves for example would still have been ffp compliant even if they'd stayed down - they just bought a load of players for below market value and paid big bonuses when they got promoted.

20 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In theory the Prem are supposed to punish ffp rule breakers if they get promoted from the EFL. Although it doesnt look like they want to give Villa a points deduction, as the EFL wants, if they are found to have breached the rules.

Any new owner would be as limited as Mel spending wise if they wanted to stay within ffp - they would need to find another wsy around it. Wolves for example would still have been ffp compliant even if they'd stayed down - they just bought a load of players for below market value and paid big bonuses when they got promoted.

Wolves may have got players at below market value, but they still spent way beyond their means and made massive losses.  No sanction applied and I wasnt aware the EFL want to see new Premier League clubs punished by the Premier League.  ( That will never happen imho. Premier League does nt want to affect its world wide appeal by punishing a newly promoted club ) 

Selling your ground makes a mockery of FFP anyway.    I'm fine we sold out ground to stay within FFP, but it means others can do the same 

10 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Wolves may have got players at below market value, but they still spent way beyond their means and made massive losses.  No sanction applied and I wasnt aware the EFL want to see new Premier League clubs punished by the Premier League.  ( That will never happen imho. Premier League does nt want to affect its world wide appeal by punishing a newly promoted club ) 

Selling your ground makes a mockery of FFP anyway.    I'm fine we sold out ground to stay within FFP, but it means others can do the same 

Shef Wed has already done the same ground selling wise. The Prem is supposed to be acting solidarity with the EFL from an FFP perspective, but if all they are going to do is give a piddly little fine out as punishment they may as well not even bother. At least the EFL is taking it a bit more seriously now with points deductions (even if I find the whole FFP system to be BS they should at least enforce it if they are serious about it.)

As for Wolves they claimed most of their expenditure in their promotion year was promotion bonuses and they also claimed that they would still have been compliant if they hadn't been promoted. Whether that was true or not I dont know, but I assume their accounts would confirm.

Get a major investor, blow millions on a star studded young squad on 4 year contracts, push for promotion and if you fail take a fine & transfer embargo.  Some team stability with top players and take promotion in the 2nd or 3rd season ?

............ back in the real world.

It’s not just frustrating how much we blew, it’s when we blew it.

15/16 was the season before the current Premier League right’s deal. £25,000,000 was an absolutely gargantuan amount. Obviously they wouldn’t have signed for us, but we could theoretically have afforded Van Dijk AND Payet that summer!

When that kicked in transfer fees were inflated, symbolised by the Pogba transfer. 

Then a year after that the market just went absolutely bonkers following the Neymar and Mpabbe transfers. 

On 05/06/2019 at 11:12, RoyMac5 said:

Declined or not attractive enough a destination?

Yes definitely something in that. Steve McClaren was able to attract decent loans, as the parent clubs knew the loanees had chance to progress under a reputable coach. Lampard has used his contacts and status within football to the same effect. Don't recall many outstanding loans under Clement, Pearson and Rowett. 

Archived