Where Has The Money Gone?

Ram of Steel

9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We went for it to compete with the teams with parachute payments, got it wrong and now we’re paying the price. The worst thing is the parachute payments are getting bigger and bigger making it more difficult to compete! We were the only team in the top 6 this season without parachute payments, how long before all the top 6 are recently relegated clubs with parachute payments.

This was a difficult job for Rowett, it’s going to be equally tough for whoever comes in. People scoff at the style of football or the ambition but it might need a Nigel Clough or a Mick McCarthy for a couple of seasons just to lean out the whole club to enable us to rebuild in a sustainable way.

So far all the teams promoted from the championship haven't been receiving parachute payments this season. Wolves have been down to League one since they were last in the Prem and Cardiff have been out for more than 3 seasons, so shouldn't be getting anything either. One of Fulham or Villa will be going up, so there will be one team with parachute payments going up, but we certainly weren't the only other team in the top 6 not to have them. Of the other two teams who got relegated from the prem last year - one went straight down again and the other finished 18th. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Ram of Steel said:

I'm really struggling to see how we are suddenly unable to spend money because of FFP risks. Yes we've spent a considerable amount since 15/16 season but we have also commanded some relatively high transfer fees ourselves for players, most of which at a good profit. Off the top of my head - Hendrick £10m, Ince £11m, Hughes £8-9m, Christie £2.75m + Martin loan fee & Grant £1m?

I don't know a great deal about FFP, I know it works in cycles and that transfer fees are spread out over the length of the player's contract, and of course we have a high wage bill but when you consider that we will be getting high earners off of that wage bill this summer such as Bent, Shackell, Baird? And potentially Martin. Along with the potential of bringing in around £15m if we decide to sell Vydra and the further reduction in wages that will bring, then why are we suddenly unable to spend to the extent where the manager decides to leave? Worried about having to reduce the wage bill further and a lack of ambition. 

What has changed since just a few months ago when we were bidding £6m for the likes of James McClean?

I get the impression that FFP is all about how you interpret the rules. This reigning in the spending is possibly more to do with a disillusioned chairman who hasn't seen a return on his investment, and also had to face up to the disappointment of a senior employee allegedly in breach of fiduciary duty. 

3 minutes ago, europia said:

I get the impression that FFP is all about how you interpret the rules. This reigning in the spending is possibly more to do with a disillusioned chairman who hasn't seen a return on his investment, and also had to face up to the disappointment of a senior employee allegedly in breach of fiduciary duty. 

And perhaps as much to do with putting out a 'poker bluff' that we have no money (after the claims of being asked for 'double the fee' as it's Derby).

37 minutes ago, GenBr said:

So far all the teams promoted from the championship haven't been receiving parachute payments this season. Wolves have been down to League one since they were last in the Prem and Cardiff have been out for more than 3 seasons, so shouldn't be getting anything either. One of Fulham or Villa will be going up, so there will be one team with parachute payments going up, but we certainly weren't the only other team in the top 6 not to have them. Of the other two teams who got relegated from the prem last year - one went straight down again and the other finished 18th. 

Sure I heard it in the past couple of days on the radio, might have been the phone in. But then thinking again, they might be have been going last season - which is the only published accounts people can go on. Either way - Wolves had significantly more financial clout this year than us and gambled, Cardiff overachieved, Villa, Fulham and Boro had big budgets supported by parachute payments. The main point is It’s only going to get worse as the rewards increase, unless you have a club coming down who is in disarray or been mismanaged or both. We had two last season with Sunderland and Hull, this season - West Brom maybe but the other two I think will be strong, Hull will probably get their act together, two from the playoffs potentially still with parachute payments will be there, plus the teams now in a position to gamble if they want to (Forest).

Eventually you’ll have better run clubs being relegated with boat loads of cash and then it will be extra difficult.

50 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Cardiff got £16m this season. This was their last throw of the dice. It was nicely forgotten about by the media as plucky Warnock took his team of free signings and cast offs in to the promotion spots.

4 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Cardiff got £16m this season. This was their last throw of the dice. It was nicely forgotten about by the media as plucky Warnock took his team of free signings and cast offs in to the promotion spots.

Wasnt this there 4th season down though?

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Wasnt this there 4th season down though?

Dont know, but Fulham, Qpr and Cardiff all got £16m. I guess they all went down in the same season. This was the last year for them all. 

14 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Remember chaps you don't have to spend a fortune to get out of the Championship ,Huddersfield etc .We just need the right manager so here's hoping.

Exactly!!!! Players who are being rubbished on here might well flourish under a new manager.It will be so interesting to see who he gets rid of(theres no doubt some will go)

45 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Dont know, but Fulham, Qpr and Cardiff all got £16m. I guess they all went down in the same season. This was the last year for them all. 

I think they were all unexpected windfalls - I'm pretty certain I looked at Cardiff's accounts, and that word was used.

I think it's usually due to increased overseas rights. We even got slightly more than was due because of this, but obviously nothing like this scale.

11 hours ago, ramblur said:

I think they were all unexpected windfalls - I'm pretty certain I looked at Cardiff's accounts, and that word was used.

I think it's usually due to increased overseas rights. We even got slightly more than was due because of this, but obviously nothing like this scale.

If you have the time and energy, theres a long thread on twitter today from "Swiss Ramble" regarding Newcastles finances last season and showing people the impact when a big club drops into the championship. It might give an insight to everyone about the pressure Gary will be under next season if Stoke dont get off to a good start. 

Interesting that Ashley hasnt converted his debt to equity. Newcastle now owe him around the  £150m mark.......At least he doesnt charge them interest...... 

Some of the wages to turnover ratios are eye watering in the championship, and theres a lot of clubs being kept afloat by the owners, ours included. 

If anyone read the article shared on here about our accounts it tells a story. 

Massive wages and long contracts is huge but the big thing most people are missing is player fees.

Because we are the only club to write off fees in a weird way (not the length of the contract) it’s highly likely even players like Shackell, Butterfield (if we are lucky enough to get rid) and Blackman (likewise) will cost us a lot this year from our ffp.

Essentially if that article is correct when we sell them it will be a disposal of an asset that has depreciated far quickly than expected. Result= a massive loss in the accounts.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some odd contract renewals to stall the pain of this hitting the accounts. The worry is if the players know they will push heavy for a new contract knowing the club aren’t in a position to negotiate.

Just when fans couldn’t be more bemused by the club signing players way past their prime...

17 hours ago, ramblur said:

Hey @ramblur all this worry about this years FFP and this:

3 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Essentially if that article is correct when we sell them it will be a disposal of an asset that has depreciated far quickly than expected. Result= a massive loss in the accounts.

What's the worst that could happen do you think? How big a fine for going over one year?

Archived