Next Manager Poll

S8TY

Who Would We Like to Take Over  

557 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Paul Cook my vote. 

Pretty shoddy list though. No way Allardyce will drop down to championship without a huge salary (which we can't offer), Moyes I'd be keen on but again similar category. The rest are just not of interest. 

Dean Smith is an interesting one but would need to be given time, and Derby is probably the last place in the football league where time will be given... 

Really don't want Igor. He's a legend in his own right and don't want him to tarnish it if he were to come here and fail. He also has a pretty poor record in management. 

If we were to take a punt, Lampard would get my vote as long as we put someone experienced alongside him. Rare to find an intelligent bloke in football and would be a pull for talent we may not have been able to attract in the past. 

Never a dull moment as a Derby fan... We really are a real life Harchester United, minus the occasional silverware and murder ?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just none of the old,old reusable guard like McCarthy etc...I

You say that but he’s only had five managerial jobs and they’ve all lasted a substantial amount of time so I don’t think it’d be fair to include him in the aging merry go round bunch. 

10 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Oscar Garcia

Hurst and Cook might work but worries about being able to attract the right players.

Lampard has no experience and not worth the gamble.

mmmm.  Oscar Garcia.  Good shout that one. Out of a job. Championship experience. Plays good football. like this one a lot.

I want someone from abroad really, someone who can bring in fresh ideas and entice players from foreign leagues, always a bit of a risk but get it right and it works wonders, Wagner, Jokanovic are a few examples. Don't know who but options are out there.

24 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Did Clement really do that bad? Giving someone Half a season and then sacking him was bang out of order.

Quite simply 

Blackman, butterfield and Johnson 

just a cool 12-13m on those 3

so yes, yes he did 

just imagine what a proper manager with contacts and a clue could have done with that

makes me want to cry 

6 minutes ago, archied said:

Lampard raises derby profile massively and brings far more to the table than clement ever did and just for clarity on my view ,I have NOW changed my view on all this stability ,building, long term stuff ,it’s just not possible or sustainable in the modern game ,people get poached if they do well ,sacked if they don’t and fans get bored easily ,change keeps things fresh ,keeps things turning and there is no Guarantee s with anybody anyway ,,, lampard would bring a buzz to derby and if he works ,well great and if he doesn’t then move on ,,, 

i voted lampard as he is the only one on the list who excites me and peaks my interest and after all the rowett stuff derby need to do something to peak my/our interest s ,,, 

just the man to create the buzz ,get/ keep the cameras and media at pride park and I reckon his appointment has more chance of putting bums on seats than anybody else on the list ,,make massive commercial sense 

sorry ,it’s a no brainier folks , I’m hoping mel is as smart a cookie as I think he is

Spot on there mate. Lamps for me all the way

13 minutes ago, archied said:

Lampard raises derby profile massively and brings far more to the table than clement ever did and just for clarity on my view ,I have NOW changed my view on all this stability ,building, long term stuff ,it’s just not possible or sustainable in the modern game ,people get poached if they do well ,sacked if they don’t and fans get bored easily ,change keeps things fresh ,keeps things turning and there is no Guarantee s with anybody anyway ,,, lampard would bring a buzz to derby and if he works ,well great and if he doesn’t then move on ,,, 

i voted lampard as he is the only one on the list who excites me and peaks my interest and after all the rowett stuff derby need to do something to peak my/our interest s ,,, 

just the man to create the buzz ,get/ keep the cameras and media at pride park and I reckon his appointment has more chance of putting bums on seats than anybody else on the list ,,make massive commercial sense 

sorry ,it’s a no brainier folks , I’m hoping mel is as smart a cookie as I think he is

So did the ex Real Madrid number 2 ..... how did that pan out ?? 

With mistakss we've made in the past a the collection of dead wood we have this is a job for a manger with experience.

when Jim smith was charged with cleaning up the mess of the cox spending after Mac had tried it was only someone with the contact list like smith that could have done it.

throwing an untried rookie at this in my eyes could be disastrous 

A largely uninspiring choice tbh.  From the list (imo) the standout candidates you're looking at are;

- Lampard: no experience, would raise Derby's profile but would probably expect investment and would use us as a stepping stone if he did any good.

- Igor: short term feelgood factor followed by disaster if his previous managerial record is anything to go by. We love you Igor, don't do it!

- Big Sam:  don't like him, don't like him at all and his football is awful, but if MM wants to give us the best chance of promotion and staying up, I'd take crap football for a couple of seasons.

- The Rest: nah, maybe Dean Smith or Paul Cook but we think we're a big club expectation is heavy here, personally I'd like to see someone with more experience.

20 minutes ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

Now Sam rush has gone it will be Nigel Clough. The day Sam rush arrived the club has gone backwards. With abit of money Nigel Clough will have us in the premiership within 2 seasons.

not sure I've read anything I construe as dogshit as much as this post! "backwards"? Really? I'm not sure you're familiar with directions!

The immediate direction after removing Nigel Clough has been upwards, and has stayed upwards by comparison. The correlation you are looking for is the introduction of Mel Morris as sole owner, that's when things start to regress.

Clough for all his qualities, cannot handle those special talents with egos and confidence, that are vital in getting promotion.

you and your post are backwards sir!

19 minutes ago, maxjam said:

would use us as a stepping stone if he did any good

I think it’s time to accept that unless you’re a Man Utd, Barca, Real, we are all stepping stones. Only 13 managers in the country that have been at their clubs over 3 years now. Managers know the score, where the game is at, a long term manager is a nice dream to have but they are either successful and move on whilst their stock is high or binned off.

I find the fact that Lampard has gleaned so many votes absolutely terrifying. I utterly despise the notion that people with no coaching experience should be able to walk into a good job just because they had a good playing career on principle, not to mention the fact that this barely ever works out well in practice. Neville, Adams, Merson, Barnes, Shearer, Platt.... The list of abysmal failures is infinitely longer than those who have found success in this method. Maybe Lampard can cut it as a manager, but he has absolutely no right to walk into a Championship club as his first job.

5 minutes ago, David said:

I think it’s time to accept that unless you’re a Man Utd, Barca, Real, we are all stepping stones. Only 13 managers in the country that have been at their clubs under 3 years now. Managers know the score, where the game is at, a long term manager is a nice dream to have but they are either successful and move on whilst their stock is high or binned off.

True, especially in this day and age, but to his credit (or cos his pay packet was increased significantly, who knows) Rowett at least saw the season out. 

Managers that jump ship mid-season, especially those that demand loyalty and commitment from players are pretty low imo.  If we were top six at Christmas under Lampard and a struggling Premiership team after sacking their manager wanted Lampard, I may be doing him a disservice but I'd have really low expectations of him staying.

Anyway, from the list above I'd pick Allardyce for the reasons stated earlier.  Can't actually bring myself to vote for him though so went none of the above ?

I know the list may not excite many on here but i basically took the names from suggestions on here and who was in betting for Stoke job...apologies if left anyone significant off  which is why I put none of the above as an option.

I do actually think though that our next manager may well be on that list unless a wildcard was opted for by Mel

Just now, Saity said:

I know the list may not excite many on here but i basically took the names from suggestions on here and who was in betting for Stoke job...apologies if left anyone significant off  which is why I put none of the above as an option.

I do actually think though that our next manager may well be on that list unless a wildcard was opted for by Mel

Forgot about Wassall for example....apologies ?

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

I find the fact that Lampard has gleaned so many votes absolutely terrifying. I utterly despise the notion that people with no coaching experience should be able to walk into a good job just because they had a good playing career on principle, not to mention the fact that this barely ever works out well in practice. Neville, Adams, Merson, Barnes, Shearer, Platt.... The list of abysmal failures is infinitely longer than those who have found success in this method. Maybe Lampard can cut it as a manager, but he has absolutely no right to walk into a Championship club as his first job.

You may be right ,you may be wrong BUT from everything I hear and read we have one year where finances are really sticky then we are in a far better position to spend and back a manager ,so ( go with me here ) lampard comes in that  year with remit to get loans in and can’t spend big without selling ( seem s to be ok with that if considering ipswitch , if he cuts it enough after the year we back him ,if he doesn’t then we get rid and get another , win win as we then stay high profile to tv ,media , overseas , sponsors, merchanise  and poss investors in this year that by all accounts is our treading water year whilst deadwood contracts expire ,,, 

derby shirts with lampard on the back would probably cover his wages ,,,, reckon I’m getting the hang of this modern day football lark?

Dean Smith feels like the perfect choice for me. He has a reputation of playing good football, working with a limited budget and developing young players all while achieving good results (three top 10 finishes with Brentford is nothing to sniff at). 

Personally I think, given time, with our academy and our potential resources* he could really develop something here.

*There is obviously going to be an immediate cost cutting and wage slashing period but I think once that has been done we will have ample room with FFP to start investing again. 

Archived