New manager's objectives...

Parsnip

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Rowett actually achieved a few of these. I'm starting to miss him.

Rowett didn't do a bad job here, if he had Stoke wouldn't be about to pay us £2m to take him off us.

I await with a somewhat crushing sense of inevitably the forum once we hit the next difficult periods, whoever is in charge.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

give Callum guy and Elsnik a chance.

Don’t care about a promotion challenge, we will only fall away anyway (see last 4 seasons).

Play more positive football with energy and urgency.

Don’t go into the second leg of a play off game aiming to keep the other team out for 90 mins, go to win!

We need to make a couple of smart loans and free transfers if we can and like I say encourage a few youngsters to develop. I feel being proud of a few academy players rather than watch journeymen dip in and out of effort will help to create some much needed positivity. 

Will hughes player manager, he’s ready. 

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Rowett didn't do a bad job here, if he had Stoke wouldn't be about to pay us £2m to take him off us.

I await with a somewhat crushing sense of inevitably the forum once we hit the next difficult periods, whoever is in charge.

You think it would be any different on the Stoke forums? Don't think so!

Fxck it lets get it sorted quickly. It's going to be a busy summer! If we're weak in any of those positions then sell Vydra and use the proceeds to sure it up. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Huddlestone

Butterfield       Guy

Thomas                   Lawrence

Martin

SUBS:

Weimann, Jerome, Thorne, Butterfield, Bogle, Pearce, Mitchell 

Jerome as a plan B to turn the defenders and work the channels if playing to Martin's feet isn't working. 

Actually, thinking about it - what I really want next season is to beat Stoke to promotion. Preferably knocking them out of the play offs. Then Gary gets sacked and has to go back to Burton, and gets sacked again. And then has to take a job as assistant to Nigel Pearson at Bradford. Forever.

same objectives Rowett had and failed to meet

Ship out the dead wood & reduce wage bill

Sign young hungry players / promote youth

Get us looking like a team again & play some nice football to build hopefully a promotion winning side over a 2-3 year period

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Fxck it lets get it sorted quickly. It's going to be a busy summer! If we're weak in any of those positions then sell Vydra and use the proceeds to sure it up. 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Huddlestone

Butterfield       Guy

Thomas                   Lawrence

Martin

SUBS:

Weimann, Jerome, Thorne, Butterfield, Bogle, Pearce, Mitchell 

Jerome as a plan B to turn the defenders and work the channels if playing to Martin's feet isn't working. 

Good luck to the Butterfield twins

Who ever comes in, we will be going back to the same situation that clough found himself in. Reduce the squad, trim the wages etc. Unfortunately we have back pedalled a few years. People bang on that this is due to ftp and not because there isn't any money. Ok but hasn't it all been bought on by chopping and changing managers who have bought in their own type of players? I feel for who ever comes in it is not going to be easy

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

What is acceptable for fans and what is acceptable for Mel are two completely different things.

As fans we can accept a rebuild if it’s evident we are developing an attractive style of play while utitlising young, raw players with plenty of potential.

It sounds great doesn’t it? Even if it means taking three years.

But for Mel, I doubt he has 3 years to wait. He wants promotion and his money back.

It does sound great. A fresh start, getting back to playing good football and giving the best of our youngsters a chance and I’ll be more than happy, even if it means a couple of seasons of mid table finishes. I just want to see progress, to be entertained and to be proud of my club once again.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

All depends on what funds are made available imo. Don’t like to make expectations in terms of results until I see what our dealings are etc. Results aside tho I’d mainly agree with your points..

1) Abosolutely needs to instil an attacking, control philosophy through the club, look to take games to the opposition. He needs to come up with suitable tactics to match this, included alterations that can be made to go more attacking/defensive. These should then be taught through the academy down.

2) Bring in young up and coming technical players. Look at lower league players and players released by the top prem academies/players struggling for first team football in the prem. Loans as well where appropriate, only when significantly better than our own players however or with a view to a perm move.

3) Bring In academy players when ready. There has to be a balance to this imo, we need to use academy players in the first team but only when truely ready, such as elsnik imo. The path should be clearly, loaning out talents to the lower league and the bringing them into the fold should be the norm.

2) Rowett bought Tom Lawrence, the definition of a clearly technically gifted, up and coming player, but his lack of experience meant he made the wrong decisions more often than not. After a few bad games, the fans were ready to send him back where he came from. 

He also bought Wisdom, a young player struggling for first team football in the prem. 

3) the better players were loaned out last season, and many had a great season. I suspect the plan has always been to integrate the strongest of those loanees into our first team. It’s exactly the path you’ve described in point 3, but we’ll becer know.

My point is, for all this moaning of, oh, we’ve got an old squad, Rowett doesn’t care about the youth, etc etc, your path to the first team only works given a couple of seasons, and Rowett hasn’t had time to show whether he would or wouldn’t have done that. That’s why I was more than prepared to give him another season and another transfer window to put all the pieces together on his plan.

it seems that most fans generally don’t Jade a problem with the results this season, but Gary’s version of your first point, doesn’t match with the Barcelona of the championship expectations that we all have.

The football was dour at times, but it could be argued, with a few more changes to personnel in key areas, next season could’ve seen more games like Cardiff, or the mid season where we were being so much more clinical in front of goal. Very similar to Leicester when they won the premier league. Did their fans complain of sour football at that time? There is a way to play direct, counter acting football, inviting pressure before landing a knock out blow, and it be attractive. I believe that’s what Rowett was aiming for, but again, we’ll never know.

He seems to be getting judged very much on his final game. ‘Oh, we sat back too much and didn’t take the fight to them’. Well if we’d have had a bit more composure in the final third, then we might have knocked the goal that the game plan required. It would still be the same approach, and probably the wrong approach, but I’m sure far less would be moaning about it if it had worked, and a parallel universe somewhere, it could’ve worked.

I’m not gutted he’s gone, by the way, just a bit indifferent, and I am excited about what another manager might bring. I’m quite a fan of change to keep things interesting. I am a bit gutted we never got to see his plan come to fruition though, after sitting through a season of clearly laying foundations for something that might have been really good. 

One more from me. It seems that there is a lot of call for Warburton, which is a fair shout. 

But it does make me laugh that mid season we were all laughing at Forest, trying to get one up on us saying they were playing nice football. And the easy retort was, ‘yeah, but we’re second, and your 16th, pretty will get you so far, but eventually you’ve got to score some goals’.

if the roles are reversed next season, we’re going to look like pretty big hypocrites, and will we have he strength if our convictions to stick with it, is the pretty football that important? Forest didn’t think so, and they sacked Warburton (and still didn’t score any goals ? ). 

Improve on the style of football. Bring in hungry, younger players to compliment the significant experience in the squad. Keep us competitive in the top half of the division. Bring down our wage bill. Beat Forest & Leeds (And now Stoke) at least once. 

Hit the big red button. Nuke the squad and start again. The squad is a Frankenstein's monster. I'd sell anyone who's gone out loan/in their 30s and just admit that we're gonna be mid-table for a couple of seasons, but bringing in young hungry players who want to play expressive, attacking football. 

Archived