New manager's objectives...

Parsnip

Whoever comes in is not going to be expected to get us promoted straight away while turning a profit - so to some extent, the pressure will be off. 

So what should the objectives be for next season?

I'd suggest (while balancing the books):

1. Implement attractive, expansive, fast, attacking football. No more playing for draws. Back to the old 'Derby Way!

2. Develop the **** out of our academy, it's our most exciting asset - get these kids on the pitch whenever possible.

3. Don't get relegated. 

I'd be happy to get comfortable in the Championship for a couple of years while the new boss makes progress towards these goals.

Would you be happy with that? Anything else to go on the list? Or should it be promotion first at any cost?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id be happy with mid table comfort too

if it meant bringing through the accademy and getting things sorted but how many would 

how many half time boos would ring out when we get a few disappointing results and performances that are symbolic of a mid table team ???

Dans need to work out what they want cos we ain't having it all in one season 

Your 3 points pretty much nailed it for the hopes I have for the new manager and next season as a whole. Would rather finish mid table with nice football than have another season like the one we just had. I want to see that we're building towards something and I want attractive football. Those are my only requests.

19 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Whoever comes in is not going to be expected to get us promoted straight away while turning a profit - so to some extent, the pressure will be off. 

1. Implement attractive, expansive, fast, attacking football. No more playing for draws. Back to the old 'Derby Way!

2. Develop the **** out of our academy, it's our most exciting asset - get these kids on the pitch whenever possible.

3. Don't get relegated. 

I'd be happy to get comfortable in the Championship for a couple of years while the new boss makes progress towards these goals.

Would you be happy with that? Anything else to go on the list? Or should it be promotion first at any cost?

Think we need to get our identity back.

Agree with a lot of what you say but when it comes to it we're used to winning most of our games and ultimately losing football won't impress most, even if the style is attractive.

What is acceptable for fans and what is acceptable for Mel are two completely different things.

As fans we can accept a rebuild if it’s evident we are developing an attractive style of play while utitlising young, raw players with plenty of potential.

It sounds great doesn’t it? Even if it means taking three years.

But for Mel, I doubt he has 3 years to wait. He wants promotion and his money back.

21 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

3. Don't get relegated. 

GR wasn't going to get us up next season anyway, 

21 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

3. Don't get relegated. 

Let’s get back to the Derby way please playing good football and finishing mid table with a much younger squad please ???

1 minute ago, derbydaz22 said:

Let’s get back to the Derby way please playing good football and finishing mid table with a much younger squad please ???

Obviously if we do better than that it’s a bonus,let’s start enjoying games again ???

I dont think we have to accept mid table mediocrity for 2-3 years - certainly not as a given.

We are in the Championship - look at Cardiff - they were not a great side by any stretch yet they found the way to get promoted

Get a manager in who can source players and expertise from around the world

Play positive attractive football

Get the fans onside (our part of the bargain has to be become the 12th player)

And who knows...if we get the mix right we could easily be right in the mix - GR got us there with his dour boring style so anything is possible !!!!

As many others have said build an attractive style of play that our academy can also work towards. At the moment our academy plays in such a way as to be completely the opposite to what our first team does - maybe we should try and align the two.

All of it. 

But im prepared to back a long-term plan which might not see us challenge immediately but I’m not sure the majority of fans will, especially if Forest start doing well.

I still don’t think football like Bristol or Reading have played gets you promoted in this league. There are exceptions (Bournemouth and possibly Fulham), but they are exceptions. even Wolves had a balance, they were direct when they needed to be, and had strength and power to back up their flair players. They also had boat loads of cash and were able to sign players who were way too good for this league - we will not be able to do that.

The positive now is we have an experienced robust spine of the team we can build around. I think we need a manager who is shrewd, strikes the right balance and has experience of managing clubs with big expectations.

Lambert would be my choice. Alex Neil, Paul Cook and then probably Chris Coleman. They all fit that criteria. 

Dean Smith or Paul Hurst I wouldn’t be against either, but this would require more patience. No point going for a long term change if we bail the minute fans start whinging about mid-table mediocrity. I also think this approach will also have more chance of going wrong and if we’re not careful we could be looking over our shoulders. It didn’t take Reading long to go from Playoff finalists to relegation contenders!

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But for Mel, I doubt he has 3 years to wait. He wants promotion and his money back

Maybe relieving some pressure and improving the football could be the fastest way to achieve that goal?

All depends on what funds are made available imo. Don’t like to make expectations in terms of results until I see what our dealings are etc. Results aside tho I’d mainly agree with your points..

1) Abosolutely needs to instil an attacking, control philosophy through the club, look to take games to the opposition. He needs to come up with suitable tactics to match this, included alterations that can be made to go more attacking/defensive. These should then be taught through the academy down.

2) Bring in young up and coming technical players. Look at lower league players and players released by the top prem academies/players struggling for first team football in the prem. Loans as well where appropriate, only when significantly better than our own players however or with a view to a perm move.

3) Bring In academy players when ready. There has to be a balance to this imo, we need to use academy players in the first team but only when truely ready, such as elsnik imo. The path should be clearly, loaning out talents to the lower league and the bringing them into the fold should be the norm.

I think the realistic set of objectives set by Mel will be:

Meet FFP for the season. No it's no buts, get the money in now.

Sell the unsellable players.

Keep the cheap but very good players.

Buy in only cheap but very good players.

Finish top 6.

Return a profit by transfers and reduced cost.

Play "the Derby way"

Failure or seemingly close to failing any of the above in the judgment of Mel, will result in dismissal with grovelling public apology to Mel for failing him.

And we'll appoint Gary megson to achieve this.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Meet FFP for the season. No it's no buts, get the money in now.

Sell the unsellable players.

Keep the cheap but very good players.

Buy in only cheap but very good players.

Finish top 6.

Return a profit by transfers and reduced cost.

Play "the Derby way"

Rowett actually achieved a few of these. I'm starting to miss him.

28 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Loved what your saying mate really do but I just dont see that translating into reality, our fan base would go into meltdown with a midtable finish polished off with a couple of abject defeats to the red dogs 

Archived