Weimann

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is it just me who thinks he tries very hard but is absolutely hopeless?

excellent attitude and commitment, which makes it cruel that the footballing gods gave him technique so poor that he make Connor Sammon look like Hristo Stoichkov!

ALL season long, I've had a semi tongue-in-cheek pop at him for being incapable of kicking a ball. I dread to think how many good opportunities fizzle out due to his inability to execute a simple pass, sadly, hopeless is about right. If he could kick a ball as well as Chris Martin, he'd be a £50m player though!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least we can say we persisted this season, but yes we can now judge him - the effort with no end product is pretty futile.  At least with Lawrence you may get goals. Shouldn't be a player we consider a starter next season. 

Why single Weimann out when we have Anya, Johnson and Butterfield all signed for very significant transfer fees and all 3 have palpably failed to live up to their billings. 

You need to vent your spleen in another direction.

Had all season and hasn't proved himself to be anything other than very athletic. Much better without the ball than with it; unfortunately his job is to create and score, neither of which he does enough of. 

I like the guy, I admire his endeavour and commitment, but we won't improve while he is a regular and if we have ambitions to go better than this season. We might get a fee for him, unlike some others, so I'd sell.

As a wing back, which is realistically the only position we can regularly start him, Anya can do a better job given a run in the team because at least he has the ability to put a decent cross in.

He's an enigma. His work ethic is second to none and the odd occasion he shows a flash of brilliance, then the next he trips over his own feet, or can't pass a ball to a teammate 5 yards away.

i can't not like him and he can't play football and makes loads of basic errors but I can't help laughing at him rather than hating him. It's just weird.

if he had 2 brain cells he'd be a hell of a player.

Squad player at best,dont get me wrong he gives 100% but that is not what you just require now days from these highly paid pros,he as to give us the cutting edge,Had a great chance with a header last night and sadly that summed him up

Just like Johhny Russel did runs about a lot but no end product,we need better players to get out of the division its been 10 long seasons and although yes we got to the play offs just i am left very concerned for the new season

8 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

No it’s not just you but I would have him ahead of Lawrence all day long. We have been robbed laying that much for him, he frustrates the life out of me. Unfair probably to pick him out when Lawrence is so poor

Typical ‘good athlete, poor footballer’. 

Being able to run really fast is only a small part of the game.

Defensively he looks good because he can run really fast back to help out his fullback and take up space. These are good attributes to have, also do not need the ability to kick a football accurately.

Going forward he looks good on the counter, because he runs really fast. Sometimes even with the ball. 

Then he has to actually ‘do something’ with the ball.

Very Occasionally he will  get it right. 

More often than not he will fluff his pass, shot, pullback, or any other thing he needs to do with the football. 

Would I keep him? No. I think if we want to seriously make a run for promotion next year we need a major upgrade on him.

But I’m not Rowett. 

(And it’s not just him I’m being critical of, just that this thread is about Wieman) 

Last Season he was way behind Ince & Russell for a starting spot 

This season he’s become a first team regular & its not through some great improvement in his form or ability.

He starts because the quality of players available for our first team has declined. It makes Wiemann seem better than he actually is most if us used to dread him starting now he’s first team but hasnt actually improved 

8 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Hopeless is a bit strong. 

Can't fault the blokes effort and work rate. 

But unfortunately more often than not his end product really let's him down. 

9 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

He is not hopeless more hapless but it’s very obvious why Ince and Russell were always selected when available with Anya and camara a long way behind but that tells the story we still have Anya and wieman 

Every squad needs an Andi Weimann, but his distinct lack of quality on the ball can be frustrating. That header to make it 2-2 on aggregate was so disappointing. A better player would have attacked it, headed it down, and worked the keeper at the very least. Jerome would have buried it! 

Oh well, as I said, good squad player and seems like a nice guy, so he's alright in my books! 

Archived