Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC

Curtains

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No he won't. I won't backtrack my statement, I stand behind it 100%. Rowett is a failure for alienating the fanbase and on a more personal level for boring me to tears. I don't care if he flukes a scabby, undeserved promotion. 

Like we did under Billy Davies?

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No he won't. I won't backtrack my statement, I stand behind it 100%. Rowett is a failure for alienating the fanbase and on a more personal level for boring me to tears. I don't care if he flukes a scabby, undeserved promotion. 

For goodness sake. 

We were progressing nicely in 2014/15, up until January. It was only under Clement that possession for the sake of it turned up, attributing that to McClaren's team isn't really fair - we weren't as 'pretty' as 2013/14 but we'd started to achieve the right balance between attack and defence.

That's what got us top, not the unsustainable football we played in McClaren's great run in his 2nd spell or the type of play that got us to 2nd under Rowett.

What you can attribute to McClaren is the way we abandoned what had worked in getting us top from January onwards. Yes, there was an injury crisis and yes Liverpool had screwed us over with Jordan Ibe but that January transfer window was the first of 7 in a row now in which we've made massive errors of judgement.

I forgot to answer the question. Oh well.

1 hour ago, kingsy1884 said:

Yes whilst its good to play pretty football the team lacked any sort of game control. The hope was just to score more. It was the untimate downfall of the whole system. 

The ridiculous 3.3 and 4.4 draws, lack of a true plan B for Martin and Thorne or 4-3-3 not to mention the lack of backbone vs QPR and Reading when it really mattered. 

You can play pretty all day long but its a results based business. Furthermore he was going to leave for Newcastle anyway and he made a poor choice.

So ultimately yes he was a failure. I dont think he is as bad a failure as the rest of the crew we have had i change since his first tenure though. 

You know he got 85 points and 76 (?) Points (that's more than we will get this season.Set a clean sheet record too. All with no game control and trying to outscore the opponent?

You've picked out a couple of games. I can do the same for any manager you choose to show poor game management. We just conceded 7 to the bottom 2 and got 0 points.

The Newcastle thing is factually wrong. Even Mel Morris said he would have stayed and I was in the same room when he said it.

39 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's a good job your thread isn't titled "Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC," then ?

I’ve got to be honest mate I am utterly fed up with the Rowett bashers on here and because I backed him as my choice of manager I feel it’s only right I put the opposite view. 

I do think McClaren is the reason that we are in the position we are now along with other managers and I don’t see Rowett as a failure. 

I do think McClaren is lauded far too much on here as is Will Hughes etc .

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Is that the same fanbase that recently voted 75% in favour of keeping him even if we lose on Sunday? 

I think it's the more personal feeling that is influencing your comments! 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I don't really think he was a failure no. But over rated bymany yes. Everybody goes on about his fantastic football , in my eyes we played 12 good games at the end of the 13/14 season. Then after that you could see glimpses but mainly just frustrating passing football in the final third struggling to make a break through. 

Yes this was blatantly obvious when we battered Brighton in the play off semis.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is that the same fanbase that recently voted 75% in favour of keeping him even if we lose on Sunday? 

I think it's the more personal feeling that is influencing your comments! 

Could well be. Isn't it a statistical fact that our attendance average dropped from 29,000 to 27,000 must show something, considering during points of this season, we were in the top 2 and at no point last year were we even close to that, it will skew the average result up. It's also the case that the last poll after the Burton game had fans voting in a majority for Rowett out, which I would say I think was due to fans switching their opinion very quickly based on a few results. 

I do agree, I'm bias in my opinion here, but I think that there is a case to make for Rowett pushing away some of the fanbase. 

I know it's nearly the end of the season, when there will be very little football to discuss (apart from the usual inquest into England's performance in the world cup but, it's a little early to start such a pointless thread Isn't it? 

Just now, curtains said:

I’ve got to be honest mate I am utterly fed up with the Rowett bashers on here and because I backed him as my choice of manager I feel it’s only right I put the opposite view. 

I do think McClaren is the reason that we are in the position we are now along with other managers and I don’t see Rowett as a failure. 

Curtains you started this thread about McClaren so you just open the door to people who want to laud him! 

Personally, I preferred McClaren and his free flowing football to Rowett's more pragmatic approach but that doesn't mean that I don't support Rowett now or want him and our club to succeed.  

I don't think it's as clear cut as 'success' or 'failure' unless you define the parameters that we are to judge on. Is it simply promotion for Derby County? If so, neither manager is a success yet, but Billy Davies is. 

If success is defined as getting us in the mix while playing free flowing attacking football and engendering a great team and fan togetherness then I  would say McClaren was the most successful manager we've had in a while. It's all about opinions though.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

Sounds to me like you think any criticism aimed at Rowett is credit aimed at McClaren. Its not.

I'm a huge fan of McClaren's time at Derby and will constantly defend the ******** and hypocritical criticism aimed at him. 

But I don't bring him up. You do.

The opposite of hating Rowett isn't loving McClaren. 

It's Mac bashers that mention him more than anyone else. 

You will defend Rowett because you wanted him as manager. Cool. I'll criticise him while I find his football, on the whole, boring and negative and his transfer strategy aimed at players on a downward trajectory. It has nothing to do with Mac. If Derby play more like they did v Cardiff then I'll be a bit happier. But more often than not it's park the bus, play safe and try to nick a goal. I think that's very close to a season of getting battered.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I don't really think he was a failure no. But over rated bymany yes. Everybody goes on about his fantastic football , in my eyes we played 12 good games at the end of the 13/14 season. Then after that you could see glimpses but mainly just frustrating passing football in the final third struggling to make a break through. 

We scored 100 goals in 14/15 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

We scored 100 goals in 14/15 

And it was done with our "obsession with possession" which if I remember correctly was a season average of about 52%??

I don't know if people get confused with Clement (in which case it's worth debating) or if it's one of those made up ******** "facts" that Ninos would pooh out his mouth.

Archived