Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC

Curtains

Mac1 - ambiguous

His second season failed, but he was sacked because of his Newcastle looking mostly. Am I the only one who thinks something along the lines of "I really don't want to take over now, but I'd love to in the summer" went on. If he'd had a third season, who knows where it would've gone? Without the Newcastle factor I think we'd be able to view his first stint more objectively.

Mac2 - no.

Pulled the team round and despite a poor run we're headed for a midtable finish which is what we had anyway.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/05/2018 at 09:20, curtains said:

**** sake get him back. Not arsed if people in the media laugh at us. Just reminded me why I love football. 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Foz 

Huddlestone

Butterfield Bryson

Thomas Martin Lawrence 

improve on that side with the proceeds from selling Vydra ?

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am I the only one who thinks something along the lines of "I really don't want to take over now, but I'd love to in the summer" went on

yes. I doubt even McClaren thought it. If it was even feasible, a man as clever as Mel Morris would have thought it and wouldn't have been so stupid as to sack him when there is possibility of compensation on the table. You don't get to be that rich by throwing money away, although he's showing signs of dementia now! (joke uncle Mel, all football club owners are demented)

Did a great job. Reignited my love of live football.

Neither a god or a genius but got a team to gel and play good football. Ego took him to Newcastle. Very silly.

On the good days it was incredibly enjoyable but bottom line, the 433 was too fragile and dependant on individuals and I never saw an effective formation or tactical change when in difficulty.

I wish the football world was different and managers could be given time but the Championship is probably the worst league to be in from a financial point of view. Player Salaries just do not reflect the income available in the league so the whole circus is driven on fiscal gambling of the worst type which ends up creating desperation and short term decisions. 

On 04/05/2018 at 12:15, LeedsCityRam said:

Why do you think McClaren was better than George Burley? 

Burley inherited a far worse position/squad, had no money at all, was dealing with the 3 Amigos but achieved the same as McClaren, in terms of a playoff defeat. His teams also played very entertaining football (once we started winning)

Agree with all of this but then I'd not classify Burley as a failure either. This thread is tired and hackneyed. It was started by someone fed up with Rowett getting undue stick (not an unfair position at all) and yet sets out to achieve this aim by demeaning another manager and arguably a more successful one, to date at least. Personally, I'm sick to death of the never ending sniping. 

In short the whole club have failed since the 2014 / 15 season. In the years since then Burnley have got promoted, relegated, promoted again and are now in Europe. Brighton, a team we outclassed, have just secured their premier status. Bournemouth got promoted and are an established premier league team. Huddersfield got promoted and having a chance at securing survival (granted they may go down but still secured promotion when they appeared light years behind us at one point). Leicester got promoted and won the premier league (FFS). Middlesbrough got promoted, relegated and are now pushing again. That is not mentioning Wolves, another team we outclassed at one point, who have just gone up as champions. What have we done since the play off final? We have consistently failed season after season.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

In short the whole club have failed since the 2014 / 15 season. In the years since then Burnley have got promoted, relegated, promoted again and are now in Europe. Brighton, a team we outclassed, have just secured their premier status. Bournemouth got promoted and are an established premier league team. Huddersfield got promoted and having a chance at securing survival (granted they may go down but still secured promotion when they appeared light years behind us at one point). Leicester got promoted and won the premier league (FFS). Middlesbrough got promoted, relegated and are now pushing again. That is not mentioning Wolves, another team we outclassed at one point, who have just gone up as champions. What have we done since the play off final? We have consistently failed season after season.

A galling summary. A whole series of missed opportunities. Let's finally take one over these final few weeks of the season.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

A galling summary. A whole series of missed opportunities. Let's finally take one over these final few weeks of the season.

Yes it is a falling summary and I hated to post it but it is a reality that really needs highlighting to Mel. It just shows how many bad decisions we made. We did so well in 2014 / 15 because we caught people by surprise. In the 2015 / 16 season teams knew how to play against us but we overcame it as we were top two. However injuries then hit and we crumbled. We needed quality back up and we didn’t have it. That was a grave mistake.

11 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

No only galling though. Fantastic at the same time, Well done @Warwick Ram.

Truth hurts when you read it how it really is.

2 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

Yes it is a falling summary and I hated to post it but it is a reality that really needs highlighting to Mel. It just shows how many bad decisions we made. We did so well in 2014 / 15 because we caught people by surprise. In the 2015 / 16 season teams knew how to play against us but we overcame it as we were top two. However injuries then hit and we crumbled. We needed quality back up and we didn’t have it. That was a grave mistake.

I agree with you on your summary and the mistakes of the past but think these dates should be 2013/14 (Play-Off Final defeat) and 2014/15 (final day defeat to Reading) shouldn't they? 

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I agree with you on your summary and the mistakes of the past but think these dates should be 2013/14 (Play-Off Final defeat) and 2014/15 (final day defeat to Reading) shouldn't they? 

My apologies the dates are wrong.

Archived