Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC

Curtains

Just now, curtains said:

You have it your way. 

I don’t agree sorry. 

It's a good job that you're all for people sharing their different opinions then, right?

On 26/02/2017 at 09:49, curtains said:

Seems to me that every time some question anything on this forum that is not the populist view of a few posters they get hammered.

I actually think the forum may be worse off for this in many ways as it stops people posting. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's so simplistic innit! 

Way too simplistic. By these standards 95% of the 92 playing in the PL and EFL are failures every year. 

Macca wasn't a failure, neither was Clough... Rowett isn't thus far. I think you've got to do something spectacular to be deemed a failure. Macca's spell at Forest a good example or Pearson's spell here, they went very wrong. 

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

That’s pathetic because no one moves on from slagging Rowett do they. 

And nobody moves on from slagging off McClaren.

They start threads over a year since he last worked here. 

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

And over a year ago when McClaren was here they were loving him 

That is fair but what does that prove.  It proves I wanted him to be successful for Derby County. After that it went pear shaped an MM sacked him 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

That is fair but what does that prove.  It proves I wanted him to be successful for Derby County. After that it went pear shaped an MM sacked him 

Proves plenty of things. Just like you, we all wanted Rowett to be successful for Derby County, but now some of us aren't happy with how things are. It also proves that you were more than content with McClaren when he was here, but are now branding him a failure to suit your agenda

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Proves plenty of things. Just like you, we all wanted Rowett to be successful for Derby County, but now some of us aren't happy with how things are. It also proves that you were more than content with McClaren when he was here, but are now branding him a failure to suit your agenda

No I’m not going to deny that Mac did well for a while after Pearson and so did the players.  Then what happened can you tell me ! 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

No I’m not going to deny that Mac did well for a while after Pearson and so did the players.  Then what happened can you tell me ! 

Well, Mel sacked McClaren and appointed Rowett. We played some dull football and did alright results wise. Some fans were happy, some weren't. You make a thread deciding McClaren was a failure and claim people keep bringing him up too much, despite the fact you're the one who brought him up. I missed a few bits out between then and now, but I think that's the gist of it 

It depends on what you class as success or failure, dependent on that any manager can be classed as a failure. In my view mcclaren did better than any of us were expecting in his first season here, and thus was a massive success in creating one of the best seasons I’ve seen of a derby team, with style as well as substance. He did however, fail to live up to expectations the next season and was rightfully sacked imo given other situations. Did that mean he failed altogether? Not for me. Otherwise any manager who’s ever been sacked failed, which isn’t true, they just failed at that point, not in their whole reign. I’ll ignore his second reign as he shouldn’t have come back, and when he did he wasn’t given a chance anyway. So a failure? Not for me. He did so much better than expected.

I'm fairly sure this question has been asked multiple times on this forum (probably usually by Curtains), and I don't think the 14 pages I just read went any differently than the other threads. 

God it’s like Groundhog Day over the same old ground time and time again

was Mac a failure ? Nope just somewhere in the middle 

yes he never had the help of mels money but in fairness he had Newcastle’s money and ******* it up so no guarantee it would have helped ,

rowett is manager and will be judged when his time is up ,, hope he gets us up and adjusts his team to be a bit more adventurous and more dynamic but only time will tell ,, those saying he can’t adjust are no more right than those who say he will succeed , at this point for me he gets a bit more time and another window ,,, Mac? He s had his time ,ive enjoyed a large part of it and moved on

22 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well, Mel sacked McClaren and appointed Rowett. We played some dull football and did alright results wise. Some fans were happy, some weren't. You make a thread deciding McClaren was a failure and claim people keep bringing him up too much, despite the fact you're the one who brought him up. I missed a few bits out between then and now, but I think that's the gist of it 

You have unqualified support not 

There are more similarities between McClaren's second spell here and Rowett's tenure so far than some want to acknowledge.

Let's not pretend that the run we had under Mac2 was built on the same formula that got us 5 points clear in 2014/15. The only time we ever even got close to that again was under Wassall.

We actually play more as a team under Rowett (just with worse players and more cautious tactics) than at any point in McClaren's post January 2015 setups which were basically 'give the ball to Tom Ince and see what he can do with it' , like watching a 12 year old  play Be A Pro on FIFA or a manager of an U12s team telling everyone just to pass it to his would-be superstar son. 

That was easier on the eye but ultimately no more sustainable than Rowett's reliance on the clinical finishing of Vydra. 

It's too early to say that Rowett has reversed our slump but if there's one thing that you can guarantee with McClaren it's that if he starts to lose control he never regains it. Pretty much his whole career is testament to that. He did very well to stop the rot that Pearson had started but it's probably the only time he's taken a team in terrible form and changed it around, but again not in a sustainable way. It may have been different if he had Martin available. 

I've still not answered the question.

Really depends how you categorise success. I think a little context is important too.

No doubting how exciting 2013/14 was - I'm far from a McClaren fan but the football was exhilarating. However we were nowhere near the top 2 (Leicester & Burnley finished 17 & 8 points ahead of us respectively) & for all the pressure in the playoff final, we barely laid a glove on QPR ultimately.

Its also worth noting though that fan expectations had sunk to a very low level & McClaren inherited a very talented, lean & hungry squad from Clough's hard work. He also had access to larger budgets than Clough ever had. Everything was in his favour basically. However the bottom line is that he had nearly 2 full seasons in charge (during his first spell) & we didn't go up.

Second time round, whilst he had a very impressive run initially, the team looked totally out of ideas by February/March. People talk about style at the minute but I was very bored watching McClaren's team throughout his second spell - very slow, insipid possession football. Few chances were being created & we were still very vulnerable defensively - particularly away from home.

In summary, some good memories but nothing more tangible than that. Like a rock band that breaks up early, his reputation is arguably enhanced by the sudden sackings. I daresay had he been here to pick up the morale of a shattered squad in 2015/16 or been tasked with promotion this season (even after how badly it was going last spring), some opinions on here would be very different.

4 hours ago, curtains said:

I’ve got to be honest mate I am utterly fed up with the Rowett bashers on here and because I backed him as my choice of manager I feel it’s only right I put the opposite view. 

I do think McClaren is the reason that we are in the position we are now along with other managers and I don’t see Rowett as a failure. 

I do think McClaren is lauded far too much on here as is Will Hughes etc .

McClaren is the reason that we are in the position we are now? How on earth do you draw that conclusion? 

You may not think Rowett is a failure but he has done something I’ve never known in 37 years of following this club - namely  turned a sizeable proportion of the fanbase against him and the team during a promotion push due to his stubborn belief in a style of flair free ugly negative football that sucks the life out of us.

McClaren wasn’t perfect but he is lauded because his Derby team and it’s style of football made us proud to be Rams fans, which is the polar opposite of how I feel right now. 

Hughes is lauded because he was one of our own, a genuine talent who on his day could walk into any midfield outside the big 6 in the Premier League. He was and is a million times better than any midfielder we currently have, and was discarded by Rowett, a football philistine who values dumb workhorses over players with flair and creativity.

Rowett may not have failed, but he hasn’t  achieved a single thing in his career either, in stark contrast to McClaren, who was won titles and trophies both here and abroad.

I know who I’d prefer to be leading us into a playoff battle and it isn’t Rowett.

3 hours ago, curtains said:

For instance getting in short term loans from Premier League clubs such as Ibe and Bramford and Lingard and Keane and Butland etc didn’t help us long term and cost a fair bit wages wise and wasn’t good for continuity of the team and didn’t help the academy at all.  

Bringing in the Centre half from Spain and the midfielder from Real Madrid Mascarrell who was a good player also didn’t help. 

What now? Ibe was on a youth contract, about £300 a week! Bamford, Lingard, Wisdom and Keane were all on their first Professional contracts as young prospects and hardly on big wages! Butland may have been on a decent wage, but was probably still U21 player! These player were necessary in order to fill the squad out as, at that time, there wasn't much backing for recruitment. What was the alternative? If anything, he deserves praise for taking advantage!

2 hours ago, curtains said:

But his signings fee wise are restricted because of past mistakes which are causing FFP issues right or wrong 

you think McClaren has ANYTHING to do with this?

6 hours ago, curtains said:

He was a failure at other clubs as well 

I love Mac. At least he recognised Will Hughes as true quality. Some managers would bench him though not many.

Archived