Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC

Curtains

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Curtains you started this thread about McClaren so you just open the door to people who want to laud him! 

Personally, I preferred McClaren and his free flowing football to Rowett's more pragmatic approach but that doesn't mean that I don't support Rowett now or want him and our club to succeed.  

I don't think it's as clear cut as 'success' or 'failure' unless you define the parameters that we are to judge on. Is it simply promotion for Derby County? If so, neither manager is a success yet, but Billy Davies is. 

If success is defined as getting us in the mix while playing free flowing attacking football and engendering a great team and fan togetherness then I  would say McClaren was the most successful manager we've had in a while. It's all about opinions though.

Isn't it just the daily "Curtains replies to every other post" thread?

25 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’ve got to be honest mate I am utterly fed up with the Rowett bashers on here and because I backed him as my choice of manager I feel it’s only right I put the opposite view. 

I do think McClaren is the reason that we are in the position we are now along with other managers and I don’t see Rowett as a failure. 

I do think McClaren is lauded far too much on here as is Will Hughes etc .

I think it's very harsh to blame our current situation on McClaren. I'd put the blame mostly with Mel for the chopping and changing of managers who all play different styles of football. I'd put some on Rush because he was obviously involved in the decision making and now there's reports he was making the club even more of a mess (allegedly). And of the managers of recent times I'd put some blame on Clement as he was the one responsible for signing so many players for so much money

Plan B isn’t a valid criticism, no team has a plan B, it is mythical. 

Cardiff can’t just decide to flick a switch and control play through possession. Villa can’t just decide to ditch the wing-play and play through the middle. City can’t just decide to soak up pressure and play on the break! 

The thing with McClaren was that he was in a way a major part of his demise here. He was the one that raised our expectations to where they are now, as soon as he couldn't keep that up consistently (as in keeping us in and around the top 2) he was gone. This has partly been carried on with Rowett when he got us to second and now look at some of the backlash.

He is also contributing to the toxic nature of the fans even now, because we were once a dominant team, we are expecting to be up there almost all of the time. It damaging the core of the club. We have been signings quick fixes for a push at promotion rather than building for future years.

Would I deem McClaren a failure? Not at all, he made us believe again, something that hasn't been recaptured since his departure. However I am fully backing Rowett and I do believe he is the right man to take us forward, and I know many will disagree but that is how I feel.

Would I take McClaren back? That is a question for another day.

You have to define failure. Is absence of success a failure? Or is there a state that's neither success nor failure?

What are the targets? What target was Mac expected to achieve and what timescales were they to be completed within?

If he's not given the time to the end of the plan, is it fair to say he's failed? I don't think he was a success, but I wouldn't say there was any failure on his part.

Should he have returned a second time I think not. 

Obviously all Derbys problems if you perceive them as problems don’t all emanate from McClaren but some do. 

For instance getting in short term loans from Premier League clubs such as Ibe and Bramford and Lingard and Keane and Butland etc didn’t help us long term and cost a fair bit wages wise and wasn’t good for continuity of the team and didn’t help the academy at all.  

Bringing in the Centre half from Spain and the midfielder from Real Madrid Mascarrell who was a good player also didn’t help. 

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

Should he have returned a second time I think not. 

Obviously all Derbys problems if you perceive them as problems don’t all emanate from McClaren but some do. 

For instance getting in short term loans from Premier League clubs such as Ibe and Bramford and Lingard and Keane and Butland etc didn’t help us long term and cost a fair bit wages wise and wasn’t good for continuity of the team and didn’t help the academy at all.  

Bringing in the Centre half from Spain and the midfielder from Real Madrid Mascarrell who was a good player also didn’t help. 

So who should we be loaning and how do you get players of that quality to play for us? How did it harm us? Wages? Clement harmed the wages with player I wish we'd loaned!! Why do we care about Wages of players on loan? What were their wages?

Bringing in a CB that didn't work out and a "good player" from Real Madrid didn't help? Show me a manager that doesn't make bad signings. Expensive ones too.

I'm guessing Kasey Palmer is a good loan though? And Winnall? Good loans. Because? 

He didn't help the academy.

1. He signed a lot of players for the academy.

2. Like I said the other day. No new manager will dip into the academy unless forced to until they have the established team they want. You filter young players into a settled side. You don't drag them into a team still taking shape

I feel like I've gone into a time warp talking about Mac. Saying that, every manager ever born has succeeded and failed in their careers. That's just a fact. 

His ultimate failure was he didn't adapt when we didn't have the players fit to play the 433. Instead of digging in and keeping the points ticking over in 14-15 he still played every game to win as long as it was 4-3 he didn't care. Unfortunately there were more 4-3's against.

he successfully entertained but failed to get us promoted. All that with little expenditure. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think that some don't want to admit how good our football was and how much better we might have become.

Ask Mr Morris that one

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So who should we be loaning and how do you get players of that quality to play for us? How did it harm us? Wages? Clement harmed the wages with player I wish we'd loaned!! Why do we care about Wages of players on loan? What were their wages?

Bringing in a CB that didn't work out and a "good player" from Real Madrid didn't help? Show me a manager that doesn't make bad signings. Expensive ones too.

I'm guessing Kasey Palmer is a good loan though? And Winnall? Good loans. Because? 

He didn't help the academy.

1. He signed a lot of players for the academy.

2. Like I said the other day. No new manager will dip into the academy unless forced to until they have the established team they want. You filter young players into a settled side. You don't drag them into a team still taking shape

Palmer or de sart 

Winnall or Best 

16 minutes ago, curtains said:

What? A list of player loaned from back when Nigel was in charge.

Some were good and some weren't 

If it had any relevance to anything I could list players bought by any manager ever and guess what... some would be good and some wouldn't.

It doesn't answer anything I asked or prove anything you claimed.

Archived