Was Steve McClaren ultimately a failure at DCFC

Curtains

10 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

You can play pretty all day long but its a results based business. Furthermore he was going to leave for Newcastle anyway and he made a poor choice.

I agree. Football is a results based business. As has already been stated, McClaren's results in terms of games won are better than any other Derby manager.

He was not going to leave for Newcastle if he hadn't been sacked. That is a lie.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32616704

"I hear the speculation, I see it, but I'm 100% committed to Derby County at this point. I've been saying it for months, that my total focus, my total commitment, is on Derby County.

For three-quarters of the season we were one of the best teams in the league. I really felt when we went top of the league we could get in to the Premier League.

In the last two months injuries have come thick and fast to important, experienced players and we lost momentum. It derailed us and we failed to get back on track.

There is still a lot more to come from this team."

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Nope, you're talking nonsense. You're basically saying that McClaren was a failure because someone else (Howe) did better elsewhere. If that's the case most managers in the world are failures because there's always someone doing better than them

He was a failure at other clubs as well 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

It was good at the end of 13/14 but never really progressed after that. 

1.) We got injuries to key players.

2.) We got more points in 14/15 than we have this year, it was just a tougher year to make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

1.) We got injuries to key players.

2.) We got more points in 14/15 than we have this year, it was just a tougher year to make the playoffs.

1) We did get injuries that's correct but that's where McLaren failed to replace the players or adapt to new system , or adapt players into different roles , I've said many times the problem with McLaren s 433 was that it was pivotal on Martin and Thorne , one of these players had an off day and the whole team was poor. Injuries happen in football you have to be able to adapt. 

2) if we win Saturday it will be 2 points , neither here or there.

3 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

1) We did get injuries that's correct but that's where McLaren failed to replace the players or adapt to new system , or adapt players into different roles , I've said many times the problem with McLaren s 433 was that it was pivotal on Martin and Thorne , one of these players had an off day and the whole team was poor. Injuries happen in football you have to be able to adapt. 

Name 1 team in world football that will cope with their best players missing, and I'll show you why you're wrong. It's very simple to say ''adapt'' how do you adapt with your stars missing? How can you account for 3 CDM's picking up an injury? (Thorne didn't even play more than 5 games this season so you're wrong saying it was reliant on Thorne when we reached top of the table without him). 

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Except one team was ruined by an injury crisis, and the other wasn't. One team played some beautiful football, the other didn't. 

1 minute ago, Moist One said:

you do realise that McClaren never had Mel's money to spend?

I'm aware of that yes , and it's irrelevant really , I know there wasn't another GT or CM out there to sign but that's where you have to adapt he tried playing the same way using Omar Mascarell and Darren Bent. 

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

On 1) id contend that any championship team that lost the amount of key players we did that season would have been derailed. It'd be the equivalent of losing Vydra, Huddlestone, Thorne and Davies combined with losing Nugent and Lawrence for a healthy spell and Carson having to play through injury. 

Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I am by no means a massive fan of GR but how can you call his tenure a failure when it isn’t even over yet?!

I'm judging by the parameters people have been setting so far. We won't get promoted this year, so that is = failure. Only McClaren ''failed'' (he didn't) in style and had us playing football to be proud of with a young team. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Name 1 team in world football that will cope with their best players missing, and I'll show you why you're wrong. It's very simple to say ''adapt'' how do you adapt with your stars missing? How can you account for 3 CDM's picking up an injury? (Thorne didn't even play more than 5 games this season so you're wrong saying it was reliant on Thorne when we reached top of the table without him). 

Except one team was ruined by an injury crisis, and the other wasn't. One team played some beautiful football, the other didn't. 

Of course they wouldn't I know it was tough but if McClaren had adapted his shape or mentality instaed if trying to play players in positions that they weren't comfortable in or roles they weren't competent in covering. 

Surely if we go up would it matter to you how ? 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

Of course they wouldn't I know it was tough but if McClaren had adapted his shape or mentality instaed if trying to play players in positions that they weren't comfortable in or roles they weren't competent in covering. 

Surely if we go up would it matter to you how ? 

It would matter to me because we'd break the 11 point barrier with Rowett at the helm. And not in a positive sense.

1 minute ago, Mr Giggles said:

This won't look good if we somehow get into and subsequently win the playoffs - then Rowett will be the messiah 

No he won't. I won't backtrack my statement, I stand behind it 100%. Rowett is a failure for alienating the fanbase and on a more personal level for boring me to tears. I don't care if he flukes a scabby, undeserved promotion. 

Archived