Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

20 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Even more annoying is when you kindly point out this transgression they get all defensive and abusive and staggeringly they fail to understand your (perfectly reasonable ) point of view!

I wonder what cyclists think when it's them driving the car and they get idiots cycling three abreast.

Sometimes it's only the one cyclist but instead of hugging the roadside he's halfway across the bleedin' road! How stupid are these people?!!

Fact. Of all the cyclists I have politely commented to during my motoring escapades, I have not yet encountered one who responds in a civil manner. They all gave me abuse and hand gestures. All of them.

Rudest, most selfish people on the planet.

One day I might just get out of my car and give one a serious pasting. For now though I try and chill and just ignore them. They aren't worth the hassle.

Cyclist are like the left wing of politics. A lot of them are decent people with a method of getting from A to B and would like everyone to share it. It might not be all that practical but the intent is good and sound. Then there are the militants who hate everyone who isn't like them and give no quarter regardless of circumstances. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Cyclist are like the left wing of politics. A lot of them are decent people with a method of getting from A to B and would like everyone to share it. It might not be all that practical but the intent is good and sound. Then there are the militants who hate everyone who isn't like them and give no quarter regardless of circumstances. :ph34r:

Cyclists are ok, they're entitled to the same amount of space as a car, according to my CBT examiner many moons ago.

Only when they're using a newly widened, 3 lane highway with a no cycling sign on it, because of the adjoining cycle path, are you permitted to mow them down.

So far this week I've hit 3, which ain't bad going for a Monday.

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Sunday morning Tour De France wannabes who insist of sitting three abreast of each other so you have to sit behind their day-glo, lycra clad arses for a mile while they practice their slip streaming.  Utter tossers!!!

There's quite a few female lycra clad arses around nowadays.

Takes me ages to overtake even if its safe to do so. The wife thinks i'm being very sensible....

5 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Even more annoying is when you kindly point out this transgression they get all defensive and abusive and staggeringly they fail to understand your (perfectly reasonable ) point of view!

I wonder what cyclists think when it's them driving the car and they get idiots cycling three abreast.

Sometimes it's only the one cyclist but instead of hugging the roadside he's halfway across the bleedin' road! How stupid are these people?!!

Fact. Of all the cyclists I have politely commented to during my motoring escapades, I have not yet encountered one who responds in a civil manner. They all gave me abuse and hand gestures. All of them.

Rudest, most selfish people on the planet.

One day I might just get out of my car and give one a serious pasting. For now though I try and chill and just ignore them. They aren't worth the hassle.

I hope you give them the same room as you do a car when overtaking as stated in the laws of the road.....just a wild stab in the dark, i am guessing you don't.

Cyclists are not supposed to "hug the roadside" they have just as much right as a moron in a car to ride in the centre of the carriageway.

Car drivers.....rudest, most selfish people on the planet, that they are slowly gassing to death with their toxic fumes.

Fact. Of all the car drivers that have ever commented on my cycling every single one of them has been a ******** of the absolute highest order and should be lined up against a wall and reversed into with a truck load of pig poop.

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I hope you give them the same room as you do a car when overtaking as stated in the laws of the road.....just a wild stab in the dark, i am guessing you don't.

Cyclists are not supposed to "hug the roadside" they have just as much right as a moron in a car to ride in the centre of the carriageway.

Car drivers.....rudest, most selfish people on the planet, that they are slowly gassing to death with their toxic fumes.

Fact. Of all the car drivers that have ever commented on my cycling every single one of them has been a ******** of the absolute highest order and should be lined up against a wall and reversed into with a truck load of pig poop.

All great points MR. Cyclists are active people and benefitting the environment.

I had little knowledge of the actual 'laws of the road, when it comes to cyclists and what they are legally entitled to do and not do so it's good you pointed a few things out. Perhaps most motorists don't know either and better education and understanding between the two would help matters.

I am very patient and courteous when it comes to cyclists. I in fact was knocked off my bike by a lorry in my younger days and the driver left me and a mangled bike in a crumpled heap at the side of the road so I'm in no way pro motorist.

I think like most things with me I just expect to be afforded a little bit of consideration as I do to others , regardless of 'entitlement' and to be spoken to properly and in a non threatening manner if I have a perfectly well delivered and polite question to ask.

Maybe it's not a case of cyclist v motorist after all but just another example of how nasty we've all become in society. Just that incidents involving these two parties inexplicably bring out the worst in folk when really we should be giving and taking and getting together to improve relations.

There clearly is a 'them and us' attitude on the roads and it's from both sides.

8 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Maybe it's not a case of cyclist v motorist after all but just another example of how nasty we've all become in society. Just that incidents involving these two parties inexplicably bring out the worst in folk when really we should be giving and taking and getting together to improve relations.

There clearly is a 'them and us' attitude on the roads and it's from both sides.

Well said Tony 

All too true ... Them and us should be restricted to the field of play and opposing fans ! 

In life we should all try a bit harder to rub along together (sensible head on today and it is the season of goodwill )

47 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The 'them and us' split is put into focus though when you consider the motorist is annoyed cos their journey is taking several seconds longer than they want....the cyclist is on danger of getting knocked off their bike and seriously injured, maimed or killed ....

The mild Aspergers in me is not that fussed about losing seconds on my journey time but it's more about the principle of considering others which is my bug bear.

I understand now that cycling 3 abreast is deemed acceptable but there is no harm in just dropping back into single file whilst traffic passes then going back to 3 abreast again, especially when they know there are cars stacking up behind them and have been for some time.

It's considerate and common sense and would take minimal effort and cause minimal disruption to the cyclist.

I would also welcome comments from cyclists of how us motorists can make things easier for them when we're all out and about.

I get it that cyclists have the right to use as much road as they like but surely common sense and self preservation should kick in at some point and they should think about how they are riding and positioning themselves on the road to minimise the likelihood of being in an accident - as I do when I'm on my bike. I'm also a careful driver around cyclists but there is a place for militancy. Being a deliberate arse when there's 2 tonnes of angry metal trying to get past you is not it.

When they get knocked off I hope it gives them some comfort, while they're being spoon fed in their wheelchairs that they stood up for their rights.

Theses are the rules:

Rule 66

You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear

keep both feet on the pedals

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

not ride close behind another vehicle

not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain

be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Also riding on a pavement can be a £500 fine, however it is not inforced.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

The mild Aspergers in me is not that fussed about losing seconds on my journey time but it's more about the principle of considering others which is my bug bear.

I understand now that cycling 3 abreast is deemed acceptable but there is no harm in just dropping back into single file whilst traffic passes then going back to 3 abreast again, especially when they know there are cars stacking up behind them and have been for some time.

It's considerate and common sense and would take minimal effort and cause minimal disruption to the cyclist.

I would also welcome comments from cyclists of how us motorists can make things easier for them when we're all out and about.

Along with @MuespachRam I can see both sides of the argument cus I used to bike to work regularly and I never had any arguments with drivers or other cyclists.  But that's mainly because I didn't extract the urine and stuck closely to the curb and used cycle lanes/paths when I could.  Within reason I'd always prefer to commute to work on a bike instead of a car as it keeps me fit, but even if I were to go out at the weekends for ride I wouldn't be an arse about it...

Direct debits.

Fine if you've got shed loads of cash sitting in the bank but if you're living hand to mouth and everything under the sun is on direct debit all coming out on different dates then it can be a nightmare keeping track. Not only that but when one fails you ring up and still can't get it paid over the phone as it still shows up as paid at their end for a few days after trying to collect it!

Why can't everyone just have a good old fashioned payment book and then when it's paid you know it's sorted.

Convenient? For who?! Absolute pain in the arse.

I got caught up in some organised cycle ride a while back, looking at some of the shapes of people on the bikes I'm guessing cycling wasn't a regular thing for them.

I was driving through belper trying to navigate them, which was proving difficult due to busy traffic parked cars etc.

I had to sit behind one guy on a bike for a fair distance, trying to keep a distance and mindful that I didn't want to overtake him unless there was enough room to do so, unfortunately one of his riding companions kept catching me up and was making it clear she wasn't happy that I didn't just get on with it and overtake him and get out the way, cue banging her hand on my car and yelling at me to get out the effing way.

So the message seems clear, overtake cyclists at all costs even if you knock them off because of lack of space or you might annoy other cyclists too.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Direct debits.

Fine if you've got shed loads of cash sitting in the bank but if you're living hand to mouth and everything under the sun is on direct debit all coming out on different dates then it can be a nightmare keeping track. Not only that but when one fails you ring up and still can't get it paid over the phone as it still shows up as paid at their end for a few days after trying to collect it!

Why can't everyone just have a good old fashioned payment book and then when it's paid you know it's sorted.

Convenient? For who?! Absolute pain in the arse.

Much worse than just direct debits, are direct debits that you can't set the date for.

What use is a direct debit coming out of my account on the 15th of each month, Derby City Council???????????

1 hour ago, The 1884 Group said:

Much worse than just direct debits, are direct debits that you can't set the date for.

What use is a direct debit coming out of my account on the 15th of each month, Derby City Council???????????

Totally agree. If I get paid on the 28th then if every direct debit came out on the 29th happy days. Then by the 30th I would know exactly what I have left to play with. Makes my life easier.

Emulsioning a ceiling with the same colour that was there previously and not being able to see the bits I've done. I try and use reflection off the ceiling light but the bloody paint dries so quickly it becomes impossible and some parts get 3 or 4 coats whilst others just the one so it ends up being patchy. 

Any company which comes up with paint that is significantly different in the 'wet' state compared with when it's dried off will get my business, small though that might be.

Yes I know you can get white emulsion which comes out of the tin pink but I'm colour blind so that's not a great help. But the missus isn't colour blind so I can't use, say, a very pale grey and call it white!!!

29 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Emulsioning a ceiling with the same colour that was there previously and not being able to see the bits I've done. I try and use reflection off the ceiling light but the bloody paint dries so quickly it becomes impossible and some parts get 3 or 4 coats whilst others just the one so it ends up being patchy. 

Any company which comes up with paint that is significantly different in the 'wet' state compared with when it's dried off will get my business, small though that might be.

Yes I know you can get white emulsion which comes out of the tin pink but I'm colour blind so that's not a great help. But the missus isn't colour blind so I can't use, say, a very pale grey and call it white!!!

If you dont think you can tell the bits you have done dont do it....thats my approach.