Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

30 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Growing up in the Peak District I used to be amused at the tourist pronuncialtions of villages such as:

Calver - should be pronounced Carver

Eyam - " "  Eeem

Edensor - " "  Enza

Isn't Heanor, Ayner.

There's an odd place near Coalville (yes, they're all odd) called Sinope. I have absolutely no idea how it's pronounced. It looks as though it's a figure of speech, like hyperbole or synecdoche.

We're trying to sell our old Mazda 3.  The body is dented in two places and the heater is stuck at 27 degrees but other than that it's good to go and we had found a potential buyer and today he came to test drive and such.  We're not asking much for it and it was pretty much a done deal when our Mazda intervened and said heck no, i won't go.  When the key was removed from the ignition the whole dashboard flashed and when the door was opened an irritating rapid beep beep began sounding.  Turns out it's a tiny light bulb that's gone out in the glove compartment that has this effect and now i need to have it fixed because it's impossible to get to without tearing half the dashboard out of the car.  The chances of this bulb going out at the exact time that the buyer was reaching for his wallet tells me one thing very clearly, our Mazda is particular about who gets to drive it.  Now i have to find someone else and introduce that person nicely to our four wheeled dictator.  The car has served us well for eight years and i am fond of it, even admire it's considerable driving ability but this is becoming like the Chris Martin saga in reverse.  Let it go Mazda dear, we had a good thing but we are over, deal with it but yes okay, i will try and find someone worthy for you.:unsure:

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Isn't Heanor, Ayner.

There's an odd place near Coalville (yes, they're all odd) called Sinope. I have absolutely no idea how it's pronounced. It looks as though it's a figure of speech, like hyperbole or synecdoche.

I'm an outsider and called Edensor (Eedensaw), Crich (Crick) , Eyam (Eeyem) Ilkeston (Ilkston)

also is it Southwell or 'Suthell'

Near where I used to live we had Cudworth and Wadworth both pronounced like Cudderth and Wadderth

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

trying to cut excessive levels of sugar out of my life and discovering that almost everything has too much sugar in, even milk!

http://www.healthyeating.org/Milk-Dairy/Dairy-Facts/Sugar-in-Milk.aspx

Milk is fine, its sugars that are artificial additives, not natural occurring.

Avoid process food is a good start, I've been reducing my sugar levels for 12 months and recon I have removed 85% of artificial or added sugar. Just some things are hard to replace/give up.

Full fat milk is actually good if you are trying to lose weight, as it fills you up for less calories.

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

trying to cut excessive levels of sugar out of my life and discovering that almost everything has too much sugar in, even milk!

Fair enough cutting out refined & hidden sugars but seems a losing battle trying to eliminate naturally occurring sugars as well. No fruit & veg either then I take it?.

I don't have a sweet tooth at all but the biggest thing I did to cut down sugar intake was to start making my own bread. Seeing as I have sandwiches for lunch every day, it makes quite a difference.

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Words that are spelt totally different to how they sound.

I just can't read "quay" as "key". I read is as "kway" and then have to correct it in my head.

Loads of names that I have the same issue with. How does Dalziel end up as sounding like DL?.

Agree with you there Wolfie, I'm not going to tell you how many years it took me to catch on that hyperbole was hi per bol ee as opposed to hyper bowl.

Also the hoi polio changing the sound of names, i.e. Princess Diana's family home, Althorpe, they pronounce it Alltrup. Norman St John Stevas (an old mp) pronounced his name Sinjon Stevas and lastly Menzies Campbell, pronounces the Menzies as Mingis so they don't sound like ordinary folk. Take a hike I say.

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I'm an outsider and called Edensor (Eedensaw), Crich (Crick) , Eyam (Eeyem) Ilkeston (Ilkston)

Near where I used to live we had Cudworth and Wadworth both pronounced like Cudderth and Wadderth

It's Suthell if you live in Mansfield but South Well if you live there. 

2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Aslong as you didn't call derby 'dirby' I will let you off.

Shitty yank pool tables. When I play pool I expect the balls and pockets to be a normal size and I expect a clearance to require a small amount of skill. Half the bars I end up in now have these abominations where the balls are the size of that boulder that nearly crushes Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones and the pockets are huge cavernous black holes that consume anything that comes within a foot of them.

Foreign lorry drivers

I always have some good banter with my brother on the car vs lorry thing, as he drives a huge lorry and I drive a BMW but we can both agree on the pest foreign drivers.

A couple of examples from the last week:

A few days ago I saw one parked up just at the side of the road, door open and driver having a pee onto the road from the comfort of his seat.

The road which our housing estate joins is currently closed - open for access only. This morning there was a dutch tanker truck stuck, despite there being plenty of closure signs and diversions marked. It took him 10 minutes to manoevre the truck & turn around - all the time blocking my exit from our estate. He then drove off without so much as a look and, obviously annoyed by his own stupidity, then mounted the curb massively on a subsequent left turn, just missing a couple of kids going to school on their bikes.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Foreign lorry drivers

I always have some good banter with my brother on the car vs lorry thing, as he drives a huge lorry and I drive a BMW but we can both agree on the pest foreign drivers.

A couple of examples from the last week:

A few days ago I saw one parked up just at the side of the road, door open and driver having a pee onto the road from the comfort of his seat.

The road which our housing estate joins is currently closed - open for access only. This morning there was a dutch tanker truck stuck, despite there being plenty of closure signs and diversions marked. It took him 10 minutes to manoevre the truck & turn around - all the time blocking my exit from our estate. He then drove off without so much as a look and, obviously annoyed by his own stupidity, then mounted the curb massively on a subsequent left turn, just missing a couple of kids going to school on their bikes.

They're the good ones, you should see the ones they don't let out of here with their lorries ?

Idiots from urban areas who patently have little to no experience or interaction with animals posting ill informed "that's animal cruelty comments" on video sharing and social media sites. I don't mean genuine animal cruelty, but things like some farmers taking their terriers ratting or a kid using a crop because her horse is misbehaving.