Rowett

Richard246

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Is Anya injured? Seems the obvious choice for LWB to me, in fact think he may have played there for Watford when they got promoted. Surely he'd be better there than Forsyth, Olsson or Weimann?

Yes, he is. Potentially could be back for the playoffs, I think. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rammieib said:

It frustrates the hell out of me when you say its great to bring Vydra on against a tiring defence. That mindset is losing already - if he's a good enough player already, you start him!!!

This. It manifests brilliantly with the apparent Palmer, Vydra conundrum.

"Cant play em both", despite them being argubaly no.1 and no.2 most influencial forward thinking players at the club.

If you had two Messi's would you leave one on the bench? Granted they arent Messi but you get my point.

Get your best players on the pitch.

Last game of the season I hope the stadium is rockin'. The Moana at every misplaced pass or chance need to die down. It's all the time now and as loud as when we almost score. He has my full support until the end of the season. The end of May!!

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

We didn’t go to a back 4

Absolutely we didn't and look at the usual suspects applauding the comment. What is wrong with them? Kudos to the OP for saying he made a mistake though.

11 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

You were right to question his starting line up, because it didn't work, and was never going to work. 

Once Vydra came on, and we went back to a back four, everything changed. His starting line up was poor and had he not changed it, the game would have fizzled out into a 0-1 defeat. 

Credit is due to GR for realizing that, and making the changes that won the game. Great result. 

After Boro and the first 60 against Cardiff, if we line up with 3 at the back against Villa, I'll be worried. 

No we didn't

Edit - sorry only just saw this had already been pointed out.

9 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

It was interesting listening to Dean Saunders during the game. He was getting more and more angry at the Derby players. Saying they don't even care. "They do realize if they lose this they're playing in the Championship next year" "They just don't seem to care". 

Dean Saunders is becoming 'rent a gob' on Talksport. He's always got a tale to tell irrespective of the subject being talked about. 

He's not my cup of tea.  

11 hours ago, Richard246 said:

Well before kick off, i thought the selection was wrong.

I saw Jerome upfront  Vydra on the bench what is going on!!!!!!

First half not too bad had a few chances bad defending for there goal!

Second half must say excellent and everyone ran their socks off they looked 5 yards quicker Gary said the right positive things!

Vydra coming on against a tired defence worked his magic well Jerome was like a man Possessed!

Johnsen and Huddlestone excellent in Midfield and what did Keogh have at halftime running out of defence with the ball great to watch.

I really liked the look of Jerome as the central striker with Lawrence and Vydra behind i think this could work and this would cause Villa problems on Saturday.

I would bring in Pearce to the back 3 and move Forsyth in the wing back Position.

When we play wing backs they must get forward they didn't in the first half but the second half they did and look at the difference it makes they pushed Cardiff right back. And Morrison made himself look an idiot.

Well done Gary Tactics spot on and well done Derby................. 

Rowett went up in my estimation last night, not that I didn’t have him in high regard beforehand.

All I could hear before hand was disbelief and dismay with the team selection, he’s lost the plot, hasn’t got a clue etc, etc. But being the courageous manager he is, and essentially putting his head on the block, he recognised that a physical approach would be required and selected Jerome ahead of Vidra resulting in the successful outcome.

Imagine if we had lost the game. I can hear the vitriol and hate now. Make no mistake this game was a milestone and could have gone so massively pear shaped.

Thankfully we have an excellent manager that will eventually lead us to the Premiership and who will not be cowered by uneducated mutterings trying to influence him on team selections and formations.

His strong, focused and resolute management style will ultimately reap its rewards

18 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Dean Saunders is becoming 'rent a gob' on Talksport. He's always got a tale to tell irrespective of the subject being talked about. 

He's not my cup of tea.  

judging by most of the comments i've heard Saunders make on TalkSport, you can see why he's been an utter failure so far in football management.

On 25/04/2018 at 11:21, RamLad1884 said:

Thought the 3/5 across the back worked brilliantly in the second half. Once weimann was at wing back fozzy was getting in and behind over and over. Same with Wisdom and Keogh. Very reminiscent of the overlapping play we used to see between Coutts and Brayford in the Nigel Clough days 

That's the secret of wing backs, they need to be attacking wingbacks, otherwise it does not really work. Gray has tripped over the obvious now hopefully.

20 hours ago, Pearson said:

Rowett went up in my estimation last night, not that I didn’t have him in high regard beforehand.

All I could hear before hand was disbelief and dismay with the team selection, he’s lost the plot, hasn’t got a clue etc, etc. But being the courageous manager he is, and essentially putting his head on the block, he recognised that a physical approach would be required and selected Jerome ahead of Vidra resulting in the successful outcome.

Imagine if we had lost the game. I can hear the vitriol and hate now. Make no mistake this game was a milestone and could have gone so massively pear shaped.

Thankfully we have an excellent manager that will eventually lead us to the Premiership and who will not be cowered by uneducated mutterings trying to influence him on team selections and formations.

His strong, focused and resolute management style will ultimately reap its rewards

This is an unrecognisable description of Rowett as manager even though he did get a lot right on Tuesday. Courage  ..?.. "not to change things until we have nothing to lose " using his own words from Saturday. They are not the words of a courageous manager and we have paid for it with our long run of poor form. 

His initial team selection was never going to work but fair play that he corrected it 2nd half and the team showed more than an ounce of passion - you don't do yourself any justice whatsoever calling comments that disagree with yours "uneducated mutterings" you need to realise other people have their own opinions on a subject....

It worked on Tuesday after the change for 4 reasons. (1) we didn’t have 2 dodgy left backs next to each other. (2) we had the divisions best striker on the pitch. (3) being more offensive drove the Cardiff team back and the pressure told as they made mistakes. (4) with the ball down the other end, it takes the pressure off our defence which prevents mistakes and allows them to get forward, adding further pressure on the faltering Welsh. I hope Gary doesn’t revert to 6 defenders again or the good work will count for naught 

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:23, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

He made big changes and fair play to him. I like many others were completely dumbfounded by some of the selections but big choices have to be made by somebody.

The wing backs are incredibly important in this system. Yes they need to cover defensively but if they don’t offer enough offensively the formation falls flat on its face. Forsyth isn’t suited to the WB IMO, he seems to have completely lost his pace. Remeber a time he’d set of down the wing and nobody could stop him (Brighton away play off, only a foul stopped his surge). That’s why I’d go for Weimann and Wisdom as the wing backs, I thought Weimann did brilliantly there for 20 minutes and his main instinct is to attack. 

seems Andre to be getting more comfortably with the role as well, 2 assists last night.

Used to hate Mel Sterland for the Wendies, but boy was he effective. Little give and go inside, and then he was flying down the wing. His power and momentum made him very difficult to stop. I reckon Andre has similar attributes for this - just needs a lot of self belief.

Thought I heard Gary talking about something like ' team proving people wrong' post match. Not so sure about that, Gary, more a case of proving people right. When the team puts the effort in, then they get their rewards, and the fans have something to get behind. More of the same, please

21 hours ago, Pearson said:

If he recognised we needed a physical team why did he started with Olsson?

That was a decision that ultimately cost us a goal.

His second half changes definitely worked but as I said, even before kick off, think it is something he stumbled across rather than anything else. 

That being said, I'e been happy with the performance in the last 2 home matches.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he recognised we needed a physical team why did he started with Olsson?

That was a decision that ultimately cost us a goal.

His second half changes definitely worked but as I said, even before kick off, think it is something he stumbled across rather than anything else. 

That being said, I'e been happy with the performance in the last 2 home matches.

Did he stumble across the team selection whilst we were on a good run taking us to second?

On 25 April 2018 at 09:46, rammieib said:

Well done Gary for the changes that needed to be made. Nobody else would have started with that original team! The changes made were correct from the 60 minute mark onwards though.

The next question is whether he will learn from his mistakes on Saturday. to me he has a couple of options - put Pearce into a back three and move Forsyth to wing back or move Huddlestone to the back three and bring in Ledley. Either way - Vydra has to start and so does Forsyth at wing back. Olsson has to be nowhere near the starting line up.

The next thing to change is mindset - get at Villa. It's not difficult - we played the second best team in the league last night (On paper, third in reality behind Fulham) and showed its possible to win, attack and have the fans behind you.

It frustrates the hell out of me when you say its great to bring Vydra on against a tiring defence. That mindset is losing already - if he's a good enough player already, you start him!!!

I agree, but I think there was an element of out guessing Warnock .. I reckon Gary thought that Warnock's briefing would be .." If Vydras playing let him know you're there early on" .... Not starting him drew a bit of that sting. 

2 hours ago, Yani P said:

His initial team selection was never going to work but fair play that he corrected it 2nd half and the team showed more than an ounce of passion - you don't do yourself any justice whatsoever calling comments that disagree with yours "uneducated mutterings" you need to realise other people have their own opinions on a subject....

Not on here to curry favour Yani.

You see the point is they are, especially when a groundswell develops on the back of it, which can then be dangerous.

Examples 1.We play Burton away and the expectation was that we should just turn up and win 3-0 or 4-0 due to their poor league position. No credence given to the fact that they would scrap for every ball and be well pumped up against their local illustrious rivals. Football is not like that.

Example 2. - Tuesday night, taking away the courageous selection and Jerome’s goals, no reference to the fact that he spent the entire match roughing up the Cardiff’s defence. Seem to recollect a defender having to change his shirt due a blood injury. Could Vidra do that?

Example 3. Keogh – Selected by seven managers yet we have supporters continually question his selection and web pages devoted to any mistake he ever makes. Do they ever stop to consider what the professionals see and they don’t.

There are numerous other illustrations that I could bore you with, but when that opinion is ill judged, misguided and seduces the thought process of other supporters, I have a problem

Archived