Rowett

Richard246

Well before kick off, i thought the selection was wrong.

I saw Jerome upfront  Vydra on the bench what is going on!!!!!!

First half not too bad had a few chances bad defending for there goal!

Second half must say excellent and everyone ran their socks off they looked 5 yards quicker Gary said the right positive things!

Vydra coming on against a tired defence worked his magic well Jerome was like a man Possessed!

Johnsen and Huddlestone excellent in Midfield and what did Keogh have at halftime running out of defence with the ball great to watch.

I really liked the look of Jerome as the central striker with Lawrence and Vydra behind i think this could work and this would cause Villa problems on Saturday.

I would bring in Pearce to the back 3 and move Forsyth in the wing back Position.

When we play wing backs they must get forward they didn't in the first half but the second half they did and look at the difference it makes they pushed Cardiff right back. And Morrison made himself look an idiot.

Well done Gary Tactics spot on and well done Derby................. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were right to question his starting line up, because it didn't work, and was never going to work. 

Once Vydra came on, and we went back to a back four, everything changed. His starting line up was poor and had he not changed it, the game would have fizzled out into a 0-1 defeat. 

Credit is due to GR for realizing that, and making the changes that won the game. Great result. 

After Boro and the first 60 against Cardiff, if we line up with 3 at the back against Villa, I'll be worried. 

1 minute ago, TroyDyer said:

You were right to question his starting line up, because it didn't work, and was never going to work. 

Once Vydra came on, and we went back to a back four, everything changed. His starting line up was poor and had he not changed it, the game would have fizzled out into a 0-1 defeat. 

Credit is due to GR for realizing that, and making the changes that won the game. Great result. 

After Boro and the first 60 against Cardiff, if we line up with 3 at the back against Villa, I'll be worried. 

We didn’t go to a back 4

9 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

We didn't go to a back 4? 

Weimann was playing left wing back. 

I wasn't convinced Saturday but the shape was a bit clearer last night. 

He still needs to be braver and tell Huddlestone and Johnson to push further forwards so the attack isn't isolated. This is one of the perks of having 3 centre backs. 

12 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Once Vydra came on, and we went back to a back four, everything changed. His starting line up was poor and had he not changed it, the game would have fizzled out into a 0-1 defeat. giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Well before kick off, i thought the selection was wrong.

I saw Jerome upfront  Vydra on the bench what is going on!!!!!!

First half not too bad had a few chances bad defending for there goal!

Second half must say excellent and everyone ran their socks off they looked 5 yards quicker Gary said the right positive things!

Vydra coming on against a tired defence worked his magic well Jerome was like a man Possessed!

Johnsen and Huddlestone excellent in Midfield and what did Keogh have at halftime running out of defence with the ball great to watch.

I really liked the look of Jerome as the central striker with Lawrence and Vydra behind i think this could work and this would cause Villa problems on Saturday.

I would bring in Pearce to the back 3 and move Forsyth in the wing back Position.

When we play wing backs they must get forward they didn't in the first half but the second half they did and look at the difference it makes they pushed Cardiff right back. And Morrison made himself look an idiot.

Well done Gary Tactics spot on and well done Derby................. 

Well done Gary for the changes that needed to be made. Nobody else would have started with that original team! The changes made were correct from the 60 minute mark onwards though.

The next question is whether he will learn from his mistakes on Saturday. to me he has a couple of options - put Pearce into a back three and move Forsyth to wing back or move Huddlestone to the back three and bring in Ledley. Either way - Vydra has to start and so does Forsyth at wing back. Olsson has to be nowhere near the starting line up.

The next thing to change is mindset - get at Villa. It's not difficult - we played the second best team in the league last night (On paper, third in reality behind Fulham) and showed its possible to win, attack and have the fans behind you.

It frustrates the hell out of me when you say its great to bring Vydra on against a tiring defence. That mindset is losing already - if he's a good enough player already, you start him!!!

3 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I apologise. I was going off of talksport 2 commentary. They said that Olsen going off was changing us to a back 4. 

Bloody hell Troy, that's not the way the internet works.

Having made a mistake, you're supposed to abuse everyone, throw a tantrum and flounce off. This admitting you made a mistake and explaining why thing will never catch on.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

Bloody hell Troy, that's not the way the internet works.

Having made a mistake, you're supposed to abuse everyone, throw a tantrum and flounce off. This admitting you made a mistake and explaining why thing will never catch on.

80316fd721a889fbffd6eadd6c2effcc.jpg

Just now, rammieib said:

Well done Gary for the changes that needed to be made. Nobody else would have started with that original team! The changes made were correct from the 60 minute mark onwards though.

The next question is whether he will learn from his mistakes on Saturday. to me he has a couple of options - put Pearce into a back three and move Forsyth to wing back or move Huddlestone to the back three and bring in Ledley. Either way - Vydra has to start and so does Forsyth at wing back. Olsson has to be nowhere near the starting line up.

The next thing to change is mindset - get at Villa. It's not difficult - we played the second best team in the league last night (On paper, third in reality behind Fulham) and showed its possible to win, attack and have the fans behind you.

It frustrates the hell out of me when you say its great to bring Vydra on against a tiring defence. That mindset is losing already - if he's a good enough player already, you start him!!!

I think a left footed CB is pretty key to the balance of the side though, otherwise I’d agree. If say you moved Davies out there, all of a sudden that’s a pretty big attacking outlet lost as a) he wouldn’t be able to overlap and b) a lot of passing options are cut off as he’s coming from a different angle.

I reckon the best thing to do would be make do with Olsson for now if we can push him a little further forward, and make a left footed CB a priority in the summer if we’re sticking with this shape.

He made big changes and fair play to him. I like many others were completely dumbfounded by some of the selections but big choices have to be made by somebody.

The wing backs are incredibly important in this system. Yes they need to cover defensively but if they don’t offer enough offensively the formation falls flat on its face. Forsyth isn’t suited to the WB IMO, he seems to have completely lost his pace. Remeber a time he’d set of down the wing and nobody could stop him (Brighton away play off, only a foul stopped his surge). That’s why I’d go for Weimann and Wisdom as the wing backs, I thought Weimann did brilliantly there for 20 minutes and his main instinct is to attack. 

Andre seems to be getting more comfortably with the role as well, 2 assists last night.

To be fair to Gary, he's admitted he doesn't have the squad to play this formation and have round pegs in every round hole.

There are bound tone 2 or 3 players out of their comfort zone who we'll think 'why is he playing there?'.

A little late to be trying new things, but credit to Rowett and the lads for looking like it could have potential.

We would need a proper left wingback though, as Olsson/Forsyth showed last night - they kept going for the same ball, even after doing so allowed Cardiff's goal. Foz finally looked comfortable after about 60 minutes, and showed a bit more like he used to be, getting down the channels and spinning a ball in.

I thought Foz and Keogh were great in the 2nd half. GR must have told them to overlap the wing back as both were getting into dangerous positions. 

No one was picking up the extra man stepping up from defense which is why Cardiff struggled so much. It was attacking agressive football an was brilliant to watch.

Very risky to go with the same tactics against villa has they have pace and quality to counter once that man steps in.

Great game though i would be tempted to start Weimann at LWB next game.

It was interesting listening to Dean Saunders during the game. He was getting more and more angry at the Derby players. Saying they don't even care. "They do realize if they lose this they're playing in the Championship next year" "They just don't seem to care". 

Then Keogh got the ball and ran at Cardiff. Managed to win a corner. Nothing came from it, but that's not the point. Someone had a go. Now I don't rate Keogh, and I never have. However, credit should always be given where it is due. At least he actually cared enough to have a go, and it seemed to spread among the team. 

That's been my main issue with Derby for a few years now. There is no heart there. They simply don't care enough. The heads go down and arms flap about (Normally Keogh included) and the "woe is me" attitude spreads and our yearly collapse occurs. 

I hope in the transfer window, that players are scouted on their heart, and not just their perceived ability. 

Thought the 3/5 across the back worked brilliantly in the second half. Once weimann was at wing back fozzy was getting in and behind over and over. Same with Wisdom and Keogh. Very reminiscent of the overlapping play we used to see between Coutts and Brayford in the Nigel Clough days 

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I think a left footed CB is pretty key to the balance of the side though, otherwise I’d agree. If say you moved Davies out there, all of a sudden that’s a pretty big attacking outlet lost as a) he wouldn’t be able to overlap and b) a lot of passing options are cut off as he’s coming from a different angle.

I reckon the best thing to do would be make do with Olsson for now if we can push him a little further forward, and make a left footed CB a priority in the summer if we’re sticking with this shape.

Yep understand that but maybe a little more conservative from the left to make up for Keogh who will quite willingly bomb on. If GR wants to use this system going into next year (The Old Bald Eagle formation which guess what, GR played under!) then agree a left sided centre back who is more comfortable on the ball is important. (If only Shackell could be comfortable on the ball!)

26 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

It was interesting listening to Dean Saunders during the game. He was getting more and more angry at the Derby players. Saying they don't even care. "They do realize if they lose this they're playing in the Championship next year" "They just don't seem to care". 

Then Keogh got the ball and ran at Cardiff. Managed to win a corner. Nothing came from it, but that's not the point. Someone had a go. Now I don't rate Keogh, and I never have. However, credit should always be given where it is due. At least he actually cared enough to have a go, and it seemed to spread among the team. 

That's been my main issue with Derby for a few years now. There is no heart there. They simply don't care enough. The heads go down and arms flap about (Normally Keogh included) and the "woe is me" attitude spreads and our yearly collapse occurs. 

I hope in the transfer window, that players are scouted on their heart, and not just their perceived ability. 

And not for the first time Troy, Deano shows that he was a better player than he is pundit.

The one thing that you could not complain about the team last night was the effort and commitment that every single one of them showed - how much they did care. There were several completely out on their feet by the end and some of the performances were immense, especially considering that they did something similar only on Saturday. 

For 20 minutes we were the better side. Cardiff scored and we ran out of some ideas for the rest of the half but we did keep going and on a couple of occasions rode our luck (just as Cardiff did) . In the second half, got the equaliser and went on to win. By the end Cardiff were just lumping it aimlessly forward in hope rather than expectation. 

Archived