Under 23s,derby v West ham

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh was playing a weird DM position. Taken off at half time, Thorne look the same, no apparent improvement on his last game in the first team really.

Babos came on for keogh and set up Bogle who ran through the center of their defence to send the keeper the wrong way and score the only goal.

Luke Thomas looked our most dangerous player, Bogle is going to be a good player too. 

The defence looked solid to be fair.

Plus, our win meant we relegated Man U!  Get in!

we need a draw at least next Monday I think to remain in the league.

Mel Morris ditched his drones and was pitch side in person too. :thumbsup:

There was a time when it was pretty clear that Ethan Wassall was only really about because of his dad. But dad's persistence appears to be paying off. He's really developing quite well.

I genuinely think we should just play Thomas and Bogle, along with Elsnik next season. Lets just put our eggs into trying to fast track their development. Can't be any worse than some of our signings over the past few years.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

There was a time when it was pretty clear that Ethan Wassall was only really about because of his dad. But dad's persistence appears to be paying off. He's really developing quite well.

I genuinely think we should just play Thomas and Bogle, along with Elsnik next season. Lets just put our eggs into trying to fast track their development. Can't be any worse than some of our signings over the past few years.

can’t argue with that, some of our signings have been utterly useless and unnecessary Anya and Blackman at the top of the list ( strange as I can see Blackman getting a game now) 

Thorne one of the worst players on the pitch. Thomas the best. If we can’t buy the talent we sadly lack. We must try the young ones who can improve, given opportunities and patience. We are going to rue the contract extensions to Thorne and Forsyth, players who are keeping the youngers out of match day squads and will now continue to do so for the next few seasons 

Don't get all this dissing Thorne. He had a decent game, was much more influential in midfield than Hanson. Put in some good passes and tackles. Didn't scythe anyone down (that I saw) unlike Hanson. Needs a good preseason and some decent team-mates does Gorgeous.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't get all this dissing Thorne. He had a decent game, was much more influential in midfield than Hanson. Put in some good passes and tackles. Didn't scythe anyone down (that I saw) unlike Hanson. Needs a good preseason and some decent team-mates does Gorgeous.

He’s had all season to improve and hasn’t. Not sure if being better than Hanson was meant as a compliment or not?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

You know Elsnik has been warming the Swindon Town bench recently? 

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

He’s had all season to improve and hasn’t. Not sure if being better than Hanson was meant as a compliment or not?

He has improved from what we saw in the U23s at the start of the season, whether he's fully back on form is another point. And no it was a sleight on Capt Hanson - I've seen little of him but the past three games/times he's 'chopped a player down' and that's what we're now looking for apparently? 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thorne will be similar to Wiltshire who took over a season to regain his full fitness, I hope that we will see him return to his best next season however also beleive his game is more suited to one that requires players to be available and to run into his through balls.

I feel this team is severely lacking in pace that in turn means teams can press high up the field on us and restricts the space for him or any of the other DMs.  Hopefully an area GR will address in the close season.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So did I read Steve Nicholson correctly with the under 23 formation today? Three defenders, 2 holding midfielders and wing backs who would be full backs?

Hope this plan stays in the under 23's!

It was a 3-1-4-2

Mitchell

Bateman, Wassall, Buchanan

Keogh

Bogle, Thorne, Hanson, Ayoma

Cresswell, Thomas

The system worked pretty well to be fair, Bogle & Ayoma playing more like wingers than full backs.

He never gets much of a mention, but Joe Bateman was absolutely superb and is one of our most likely prospects I reckon - always composed and assured whether playing in defence or midfield.

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Played some lovely little through balls to Thomas and Bogle first half. He still tires quickly, though. I agree we won't really know if he can get back to his best until next season.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Played some lovely little through balls to Thomas and Bogle first half. He still tires quickly, though. I agree we won't really know if he can get back to his best until next season.

Hopefully he'll be back to his best for the Play-Off Final. :cool: He can have a rest then before pre-season.

Archived