Why do you have faith in Rowett?

Leicester Ram

Not meant to be an aggressive thread but I’m just wondering why some people have so much faith in Rowett?

I understand that we need to stop sacking managers (I’m all for a DOF reform) but from what I’ve seen of him, he’s not done much to give me faith that he can take us to the next level or should be entrusted with another transfer window.

- our purple patch was due to an unsustainable level of clean sheets and a complete defiance of expected goals, it doesn’t seem to be a realistic model of play

- the football is overly cautious and negative

- we score goals but we rarely find goals when we need to; we have had 13 games this season where, with 20 minutes to go, we have needed one goal to gain points (whether that be a draw or a win) but have failed to do so. We have only scored 4 times in the last 20 minutes to gain points, a strike rate of 4/17

- I struggle to see any players he’s really improved outside of Weimann and possibly Sam Winnall

- we have 11 points from the past 15 games, so he’s given us relegation form in the most crucial part of the season and shown little to no tactical flexibility in that period, despite the poor run.

- a focus on results over performances still leaves us outside the play-off’s with 4 games left to play

- he has actively tried to sign older veterans despite our squads age and not attempted to integrate any youth players other than Luke Thomas out of necessity.

- he appears to have lost the dressing room, which in fairness doesn’t seem to be too hard at Derby

Outside of the fact he’s young, is nicely dressed and speaks well in the press, what exactly has suggested he’s a manager that’s going to take us to the next level? I just get the feeling people want the Rowett we thought we were getting rather than the one we actually have.

What action has he taken that’s made you think he’s the manager for us?

So why do you have faith in him and think he deserves more time?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I do have faith in Leicester is that despite your opening remark this will turn into an aggressive thread along already well explored lines.

For some Gaz should now be packing his bags; for others he should have more time.  He will go eventually, they all do, and Mel will decide when.

Until then our job is to support. In my opinion. But I appreciate even that view is controversial in some quarters.

Nobody is perfect, so Gary Rowett isn't either a perfect person.

He's making mistakes and more obviously he's repeating same sort of tactical mistakes games in games out by not changing and adapting his tactics in the first place, which I personally find a little bit awkward.

He should rethink his ideas and his approach.

I know a lot of teams in the modern football around the world nowadays are playing his favorite system 4-2-3-1.

I don't think Gary has the right personnel at the moment or he couldn't sign some of his potential targets (Lookman) .

Matej Vydra isn't right the right person to play a AMC position.

Tom Lawrence is maybe the answer to the question, as we have seen it in the match against Manchester United, he can fill that role quite well.

Tom Huddlestone and Joe Ledley are both too much defensively oriented according to my opinion, so there's none to carry the ball and make runs forward, except for Kasey Palmer, but who isn't regular starter.

You can play with one defensively oriented midfielder in the team, but with two of them around is just two much, as the Rams midfield consist effectively from two midfielders, who get overrun all the time.

One energetic attacking oriented midfielder is desperately needed.

Gary needs more time and the fans need to be more patient.

It's obvious to me this team doesn't have the right balance.

I dont and never have however I’m hoping and have been that he proves me wrong.  For me this is still the best outcome, and would mean that Derby are successful.

The problem is though that I cannot see it happening, and the football he serves up means that it’s the results he has to be judged on,  another season on what we have seen to date for me is not acceptable.

24 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

Nobody is perfect, so Gary Rowett isn't either a perfect person.

He's making mistakes and more obviously he's repeating same sort of tactical mistakes games in games out by not changing and adapting his tactics in the first place, which I personally find a little bit awkward.

He should rethink his ideas and his approach.

I know a lot of teams in the modern football around the world nowadays are playing his favorite system 4-2-3-1.

I don't think Gary has the right personnel at the moment or he couldn't sign some of his potential targets (Lookman) .

Matej Vydra isn't right the right person to play a AMC position.

Tom Lawrence is maybe the answer to the question, as we have seen it in the match against Manchester United, he can fill that role quite well.

Tom Huddlestone and Joe Ledley are both too much defensively oriented according to my opinion, so there's none to carry the ball and make runs forward, except for Kasey Palmer, but who isn't regular starter.

You can play with one defensively oriented midfielder in the team, but with two of them around is just two much, as the Rams midfield consist effectively from two midfielders, who get overrun all the time.

One energetic attacking oriented midfielder is desperately needed.

Gary needs more time and the fans need to be more patient.

It's obvious to me this team doesn't have the right balance.

There are points in here that I can agree with.

There have been a lot of big mistakes made. I think the only justification for giving Gary Rowett more time is to see whether he will acknowledge where things haven't worked out as intended and what his plan is for the squad going forward - including how he will achieve the style that he describes as being successful.

If he lacks the self-critical faculties to see where the issues are, or cannot solve them by himself and wont seek assistance then there is no point to him. It's getting to the crucial tipping point where simply not changing because it hasn't worked up to now is not in itself sufficient reason for him to stay.

It is sad of course - nobody (when he was appointed) would have wanted it to turn out this way. we all want what's best for the club.

I don’t enjoy going to football anymore we are that poor.

annoying thing is I would have been happy to finish 7th every season playing Steve MacLaren football than watching a season of Rowett hoofball.

I would love to know why Rowett is so Anti-football. He played under Jim Smith and was part of an attacking team with Brum and was successful. You would think he would adopt that mentality.

Trying to untangle my thoughts on Rowett at DCFC is difficult at the moment as my opinion changes all the time.

Reasons for Rowett to stay

It is difficult to make him the scapegoat without accepting that the players should be taking a substantial amount of the blame.

The squad is a hodge podge of misfits brought in by a raft of different managers. Difficult to get the right team in place.

We need stability desperately.

We had a fantastic run and he must receive some of the credit for that.

He says the right things.

He signed Davies.

Who would be better?

The summer budget is small and very few players other teams would want to stay.

Reasons for Rowett to go

Our run to 2nd was unsustainable. It was a case of inspired goalkeeping, world-leading clinical goalscoring and unbelievable luck that would never happen all season.

Very few games actually saw exciting attacking play that got fans out of their seats.

Yes we need stability, but there is little proof of Rowett learning, showing adaptability and things have got worse not better since when he took over.

Recent performances are abject - can he motivate the players he is likely to be stuck with next year?

He signed Jerome.

Conclusion

Unless an obviously better candidate comes along, or things change in terms of a positive summer transfer window, I'm not sure there's any point in getting rid. However, the football is woeful, there appears to be mass apathy again. 

I can happily accept a season of consolidation if I can see the direction the club is moving in, we test the likes of Elsnik and we see some positive intent on the pitch, I'm just not convinced Gary is the man to deliver any of that.

So basically, I've no idea what is best to do!!

I don't sadly. I did and bought into his vision of having a young hungry team. Unfortunately that was a load of ******** and he went out and signed a bunch of geriatrics. Poor boring tactics can be overlooked if your winning but when your not it's hard to buy in to the anti football.

if he stays, and I think he will either way, he seriously needs to think about building for the future. In my opinion he's set us back years this season by buying too many old heads that will have no sell on value whatsoever and didn't really improve the starting 11.

mels remit was to increase the value of the playing staff. I think Gary has failed at that except for Vydra. We need to look at the like of Marriott, Dack and Maddison who are all young and performing consistently and will increase in value. I said this about Watkins and I guarantee his value has risen dramatically compared to Lawrence.

I wouldn’t mind betting, judging by the accounts and transferring dealings, that the improve value strategy changed from developing players to getting promoted at all costs. A **** or bust strategy you might say.

Looks like we bust - unless a miracle happens over the next 4-7 games.....

9 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

I wouldn’t mind betting, judging by the accounts and transferring dealings, that the improve value strategy changed from developing players to getting promoted at all costs. A **** or bust strategy you might say.

Looks like we bust - unless a miracle happens over the next 4-7 games.....

Four games max I reckon!???

47 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Trying to untangle my thoughts on Rowett at DCFC is difficult at the moment as my opinion changes all the time.

Reasons for Rowett to stay

It is difficult to make him the scapegoat without accepting that the players should be taking a substantial amount of the blame.

The squad is a hodge podge of misfits brought in by a raft of different managers. Difficult to get the right team in place.

We need stability desperately.

We had a fantastic run and he must receive some of the credit for that.

He says the right things.

He signed Davies.

Who would be better?

The summer budget is small and very few players other teams would want to stay.

Reasons for Rowett to go

Our run to 2nd was unsustainable. It was a case of inspired goalkeeping, world-leading clinical goalscoring and unbelievable luck that would never happen all season.

Very few games actually saw exciting attacking play that got fans out of their seats.

Yes we need stability, but there is little proof of Rowett learning, showing adaptability and things have got worse not better since when he took over.

Recent performances are abject - can he motivate the players he is likely to be stuck with next year?

He signed Jerome.

Conclusion

Unless an obviously better candidate comes along, or things change in terms of a positive summer transfer window, I'm not sure there's any point in getting rid. However, the football is woeful, there appears to be mass apathy again. 

I can happily accept a season of consolidation if I can see the direction the club is moving in, we test the likes of Elsnik and we see some positive intent on the pitch, I'm just not convinced Gary is the man to deliver any of that.

So basically, I've no idea what is best to do!!

Think this is pretty much where my line of thought is taking me.

I think I am leaning towards that he should possibly be given 6 months to improve on the football, get the club heading in the right direction and get some excitement around the place. If by then we are still looking like we are currently then it may be time for the chop.

Is he still here?

"can happily accept a season of consolidation if I can see the direction the club is moving in, we test the likes of Elsnik and we see some positive intent on the pitch, I'm just not convinced Gary is the man to deliver any of that."

I can't see Gary developing any kind of player. Especially not talented young onse.

Didn't he say that everyweek hell pick a team and style to suit the opposition?

Gary speaks in media soundbites that the majority see through now.

I don't see too many games and the ones I've chosen this year have been bad ones! One win from the 4 home games I've seen.

I've been mostly unimpressed with what I've seen and have headed for the car after each game with a feeling that we have no chance of promotion.

Invariably, I would then listen to GR on Radio Derby, saying exactly what I had been thinking, drawing attention to lack of quality, passion [at times], movement etc. So, it always seemed as if he knew what the problem was/is.

So, why can't he solve it? I just don't know. Is it that he feels that the players aren't good enough but has no funds to do anything about it? Perhaps. Still makes Jerome a strange buy though.

It's all something of a mystery to me. I had us finishing half way this season if we were fairly consistent. The prospect of Premiership football with the majority of this team is frightening. So, we over-achieved early on in the season in my view and now we are under-achieving. It's a mess. 

I want him to succeed but I think he needs to re-evaluate the way he asks his team to play.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

- I struggle to see any players he’s really improved outside of Weimann and possibly Sam Winnall

Vydra? The guy that a lot of people on here wrote off as absolute toilet before Rowett had him scoring? 

Archived