Why do you have faith in Rowett?

Leicester Ram

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 15:11, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I don’t enjoy going to football anymore we are that poor.

annoying thing is I would have been happy to finish 7th every season playing Steve MacLaren football than watching a season of Rowett hoofball.

I would love to know why Rowett is so Anti-football. He played under Jim Smith and was part of an attacking team with Brum and was successful. You would think he would adopt that mentality.

He started at Cambridge united with John Beck.Says it all!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I have a feeling you know more about DCFC than you're going to admit to. I thought it when you posted it 'first time' and this  verbatim repeated post has extenuated the 'suspicion'. 

Actually... I was trying to delete my post from the other thread...as this one seemed more appropriate. I do not know more about DCFC then the lot of you. I just think more time is needed for the manager, and the team. 

He has my vote to continue but improvement required - however 

Hes proved he can work within a budget and get results. Like it or not we really need that now.

Ive said it many times before and will again, the football this season is no worse than before Rowett took over. McClaren didn’t even have us playing good football, we fluked wins with clean sheets for 8 games in a row (7 wins) before the wheels came off at Norwich. Absolutely not McClarens fault - due to the numpties signed by previous managers - the same numpties who are mostly still on the books!!

His signings by and large have been good working within a budget. Only way to keep competitive while balancing the books is to sign older players with proven quality. At least he’s signed them on short contracts.

If the academy players were ready he would’ve used them. He has done elsewhere. Maghoma kicked on at Burton under Rowett, likewise he gave Damarai Gray his chance at Brum. Elsnik Guy and Lowe will get good experience from Loan spells. If Lowe hadn’t been injured when Rowett arrived, I think he would probably be first choice left back now.

He could have taken the view of writing off this season completely and playing the youth. Would people have really been happy with that? 

The second half of the season has showed we have more to do. He’s signed good proven experience which he can now play youth around (if they are good enough). If he signs more 30 year olds then I will think he’s lost the vision he set out when he joined. 

I don’t think this team is what Rowett wanted or intended. I think he’s found it far more difficult to get players out than he expected and that has completely hamstrung his transfer dealings. He needs another summer to be able truly put out his team and then will be the time to judge.

Worst case scenario, another year of Rowett, we don’t get playoffs but finish midtable, the wage bill and finances will be in a better place than when he took over, hopefully more of our academy products will be ready and the next manager will have a cleaner slate to do something. 

Best case scenario - he completes his rebuild and has a team we’re proud of fighting for every ball scoring goals defending stoutly and having the legs to sustain it - and who knows even promotion.

Even better scenario - we win the playoffs this season! We may all think this is over but it is still very much to play for.

New manager - Players aren’t what I want, need 2 years and backing to sort it out - and no guarantees it will work.

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Hes proved he can work within a budget and get results. Like it or not we really need that now.

Ive said it many times before and will again, the football this season is no worse than before Rowett took over. McClaren didn’t even have us playing good football, we fluked wins with clean sheets for 8 games in a row (7 wins) before the wheels came off at Norwich. Absolutely not McClarens fault - due to the numpties signed by previous managers - the same numpties who are mostly still on the books!!

His signings by and large have been good working within a budget. Only way to keep competitive while balancing the books is to sign older players with proven quality. At least he’s signed them on short contracts.

If the academy players were ready he would’ve used them. He has done elsewhere. Maghoma kicked on at Burton under Rowett, likewise he gave Damarai Gray his chance at Brum. Elsnik Guy and Lowe will get good experience from Loan spells. If Lowe hadn’t been injured when Rowett arrived, I think he would probably be first choice left back now.

He could have taken the view of writing off this season completely and playing the youth. Would people have really been happy with that? 

The second half of the season has showed we have more to do. He’s signed good proven experience which he can now play youth around (if they are good enough). If he signs more 30 year olds then I will think he’s lost the vision he set out when he joined. 

I don’t think this team is what Rowett wanted or intended. I think he’s found it far more difficult to get players out than he expected and that has completely hamstrung his transfer dealings. He needs another summer to be able truly put out his team and then will be the time to judge.

Worst case scenario, another year of Rowett, we don’t get playoffs but finish midtable, the wage bill and finances will be in a better place than when he took over, hopefully more of our academy products will be ready and the next manager will have a cleaner slate to do something. 

Best case scenario - he completes his rebuild and has a team we’re proud of fighting for every ball scoring goals defending stoutly and having the legs to sustain it - and who knows even promotion.

Even better scenario - we win the playoffs this season! We may all think this is over but it is still very much to play for.

New manager - Players aren’t what I want, need 2 years and backing to sort it out - and no guarantees it will work.

A good post. I hope you're right BR84 if GR is kept on. I totally understand the thinking behind keeping GR for stability reasons. However, I don't have enough faith that keeping GR would be good for Derby County FC. I think he is not the manager to 'stick' with but I accept I may be wrong. Whatever happens, I hope we see real signs of improving football next season that more of the fans can 'get behind'.

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good to be reminded of some of Gary Rowetts positive attributes. I would cut him a bit of further slack in that I think he has found inwards transfers harder than he expected and the “big” summer signing has proved to be a disappointment so far.

that said the second half of the season has exposed a number of negatives that we were perhaps unaware of.  Tactical inflexibility, inability to motivate, poor man management, even worse pr skills. For me, he only gets enough time to show he can address these issues. If the team are still lumbering around at walking pace in November with Gary spouting on about being “braver” or “better on the ball” then he’s not cutting the mustard.

of course, he could accelerate the rate at which he loses the fan base by blowing the Vydra transfer receipts on lee cattermole, David cotterill and extending Cameron Jerome contract by 4 years. :lol:

On 16/04/2018 at 15:17, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mel seems to trust him.

Apart from some duff moves in January his buys haven't been to bad.

We don't know the full picture behind the scenes and what budgets he's working to.

Not sure if that's good or bad tbh, and I do wonder if their relationship is still "fantastic"...

Mel appears to trust him because he probably feels if he sacks another manager he will get a lot of criticsm 

what he needs to look at in my book is who he appoints in the first place and see if he generally tried to play the sort of football we as fans always enjoyed...mac1 or the Derby way or whatever you want to call it ...

Rowetts style of play will never sit right with me I’m afraid regardless of results 

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

A good post. I hope you're right BR84 if GR is kept on. I totally understand the thinking behind keeping GR for stability reasons. However, I don't have enough faith that keeping GR would be good for Derby County FC. I think he is not the manager to 'stick' with but I accept I may be wrong. Whatever happens, I hope we see real signs of improving football next season that more of the fans can 'get behind'.

I totally agree with your points 1967 I think if next season is like this season we will be left with a load of Rowett style players on long contracts that a new manager would struggle to clear therefore asking them to play a different style which would then hinder the new mans progress....I do not think GR will be here this time next season 

Archived