Gender pay, is this the reason for our new year slip?

ilkleyram

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im guessing its because aside from cleaners we have lots of men in lower paid jobs at DCFC and of the female jobs, the majority are heads of departments etc. - Obviously this is a bit of a generalisation but might explain that few percent swing

7 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Im guessing its because aside from cleaners we have lots of men in lower paid jobs at DCFC and of the female jobs, the majority are heads of departments etc. - Obviously this is a bit of a generalisation but might explain that few percent swing

And presumably the definitions of who are employees and who are contractors helps, i.e. the 1st team squad etc.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

According to the BBC website at Derby County FC the average man is paid 5% less than the average woman. One of the few clubs where this is so.

I think this is comparing people in the same job? We dont have any females in our first team so nothing to compare with? 

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think this is comparing people in the same job? We dont have any females in our first team so nothing to compare with? 

As I understand it PP, the intention of the average figure (as opposed to the median figure) in the gender pay returns was meant to be the total male/female wage bill divided by the total number of male or female employees, to give an average pay figure per gender for every company, which could be compared. 

I wonder if the players are not contractually employed by The Derby County FC but by another company within the group, and that therefore they're not included as part of this return

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We do have a ladies team though. They do the same job - playing football. They shouldn't be paid the same obviously since they are nowhere near is commercially valuable to the business at this point.

The average wage figure is totally meaningless. Even comparing people in the same jobs is meaningless - they would have to have the same experience, length of service, marketability (for players), etc for it to be even remotely fair comparison.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Or we only employ one woman who gets paid £10,000,000 per year. No-one else to bring the average down then.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Heard someone on the radio about the gender pay gap in companies, apparently women don’t do so bad at Man City either; the point was made it obviously excludes playing staff.

Archived